Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I have been interested in doing extractions involving toasted oak chips and Spanish cedar chips. I thought it might be interesting to add oak and cedar characteristics to tobacco extractions, or perhaps even just have some combination of oak/cedar on its own.
Anyone try natural extractions from oak and/or Spanish cedar?

I was waiting to see if someone else would answer....
I personally would not try it. I've been hauling lumber interstate for two different companies for 16 years now. Wood is 'smoked' to change it's appearance, to add to it's retail value. Such common oaks (red oak, for example) are smoked to appear to the untrained eye as maple, ebony, cherry, etc. Most lumber is milled and dry kilned (to qualify for international shipping), then whatever happens next depends on who purchases it from the mill and for what purpose.
If you take a bag of 'smoke chips' that is used along with charcoal of outdoor cooking, the ingredients nearly always state some form of non-wood products added.
But then again, I am aware some of these tobacco companies have been around well over 100 years. Several generations of blend masters have practiced their craft to present the pipe tobaccos available today.
I know I wouldn't try it.

• Informative
Reactions: CAAB

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
I have been interested in doing extractions involving toasted oak chips and Spanish cedar chips. I thought it might be interesting to add oak and cedar characteristics to tobacco extractions, or perhaps even just have some combination of oak/cedar on its own.

Anyone try natural extractions from oak and/or Spanish cedar?
Can't help with extraction but I might have a useful info for you: I'm pretty sure oak chips would be safe but as far as I know cedar contains some chemicals that are toxic to humans, so you might want to research it further before you start experimenting with it- check whether your extraction method also results in extraction of the toxins.

Now, I'm not an expert on the topic, I came across the cedar's toxicity when I was researching whether I could use cedar driftwood as decor in my fish tank a while ago

• Informative

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
Sounds like a bad idea then. Glad I waited. This was on the back burner while I finalized another experiment. I think I will avoid the oak and cedar extractions.

I do have Spanish cedar in my tupperdor where I store cigar leaf varietals. I've been experimenting with blending cigar leaf extracts to see what works best for vaping. Hoping that over the years the cedar will impart a nuance to the e-liquid without much of the negative compounds referenced by @PeterKay.

I was surprised to read that people working with pine and cedar can develop pulmonary conditions. It smells so nice. I never thought much of it.

@CAAB, what about Terpenes and or Terpenoids?

I've heard of terpenes as in one of the compounds of hemp extraction. Is this what you speak of? I am curious what made you think of this? Is it a similar nuanced flavor?

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
I was surprised to read that people working with pine and cedar can develop pulmonary conditions. It smells so nice. I never thought much of it.
Not just pulmonary, I'm a carpenter, never worked with cedar wood (it's not a very popular type of timber on commercial projects I work at) but I often work with pine, other softwood timber, as well as hardwood like oak, so I've been through multiple health and safety trainings. The dust from pine and other softwood can also cause dermatitis and as far as I remember, hardwood dust can cause nasal cancer on some rare occasions.
I highly doubt that occasional exposure to such wood and its dust can cause any problems, but if you do it 5 days a week or more often, 8h a day, this becomes a serious concern.
Same applies to vaping- if you were to vape on a toxine, you would be exposing yourself to it pretty much all day.
If you somehow find an extraction method that would preserve the flavor without extracting the toxins, it could be a win. Or find a way of removing the known toxin from a ready extract. But there is probably some sophisticated chemistry involved that requires advanced laboratory scenario, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort and money.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK

CAAB

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
New York
The dust from pine and other softwood can also cause dermatitis and as far as I remember, hardwood dust can cause nasal cancer on some rare occasions.

I'm surprised to read this. I've been around some career woodworkers and have never heard of this. It's always about keeping dust down because of the mess and the fire hazard, but not because of health.

I've done a fair amount of woodworking myself, not 9-5, but definitely a noteworthy amount. Will have to be more careful. Especially the sanding.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Very bad idea. I lived in the mountains and cut trees/wood for my woodstove for many years. As mentioned there are many things in wood that are not good to inhale (I didn't have a choice... could not afford $500 a month for propane for the central heater) I know there is a difference between actual combustion and vaping but still there are terpines and phenols and many other nasties that tells me this is a bad idea. Even cutting the wood would mess with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread