Obama Receiving an E-Cig For Valentine’s Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
As reported here, E-cig Distibutor, InLife's is sending Obama an E-cig for Valentine’s day, so they will surely be on the radar now. Also interesting comment from the son of the late R.J. Reynolds with regards to the E-Cig who stated: "It's provocative; it's the bad boy without tars". Too bad they gave a plug to Smoking Everywhere and the Reporter was only familiar with "at least two versions of the electronic cigarette"—surely not a member of the Forum, but it does go to show the lack of knowledge about the electronic cigarette here in the US–--Sun See Blown Away by Lighting Up | www.lagunabeachindependent.com | Laguna Beach Independent

Last edited:

TribbleTrouble

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
Rio Rancho, NM
Wow, I don't think that is cool at all. Man, it is truly inevitable that these are going to be banned. This is our President, People! He is not a commercial prop!!! Suppliers are really asking to be put out of business.
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
First off, InLife is also known as Revellie, and they are mostly an MLM scheme, like amway meets e-cigs.

But regardless, their e-cigs are $129. THe President and congresspeople can't accept gifts over $50. SO this is just a stunt.

Good point Leford--but it sounds like he is selling them out of a bar or something to that effect and maybe he will drop the price down to 50.00 for Valantine's day--I can not get in their head to find out what they are thinking--but since it is a small community newspaper--everybody in that town is going to what to hear the follow up on the gift. So they are going to look like fools if they do not deliver--anyway I am just citing to our members what is being reported in a newspaper, maybe Tropical Bob can find out more from a fellow Reporter?--Sun

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Wow, I don't think that is cool at all. Man, it is truly inevitable that these are going to be banned. This is our President, People! He is not a commercial prop!!! Suppliers are really asking to be put out of business.
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif
nonono2.gif

You are spot on Tribble--I hear you and concur. That would be a "big dose of gasoline on a lite cigarette" if they gift that off to Obama and it makes its way to one of the major news wires--I will wait to see what Tropical Bob has to say---Sun

nitewriter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
InLife and SafeCig both seem determined to get to him e-smoking one way or another, whether its with billboards or newspaper articles. It's shamless self-promotion at any cost and neither posess one iota of logic.

They're going to make him sorry he ever smoked an analog in public.

Tribble- The only suppliers they care about are themselves.

devonschmoker

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Portland, OR USA
A similar stunt was pulled by crown7 recently. I never heard anything from other wire services. I don’t even know if they really sent one at all. I don’t like this marketing ploy. It seems to have become somewhat of a trend. If he (The President) actually uses a device sent to him from a company, that company has every right to give a press release. This whole “I just sent one” now lets send out a press release is just low.

GoldenP51

Feb 8, 2009
PR stunt for sure. I'm SURE the secret service would let the first black president (or any president for that matter) smoke a device given to him as a gift with some liquid in it lol

Imagine he wants to smoke an analog...one of his secret service guys probably has to smoke half of it in a sealed room before it even sees the same room Obama is in!

And I wouldn't be worried about it gaining attention...you know how many gifts he probably gets each day? Probably a LOT that he will never see that all go to the same place...the landfill.

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Tropical Bob will do nothing about this except scream to high heaven that this is a really, really stupid idea and marketing ploy. Yes, Crown7 tried this and issued a press release. Mr. Philadelphia erected a billboard. It's about publicity and nothing more. Pure greed on display. Stupid is as stupid does -- get noticed is Rule 1.

I fully expect SafeCig to strap e-cigs around turkeys which are then dropped from a helicopter hovering over downtown Philadelphia.

Imagine the publicity.

Dumbdumbdumbdumb .... :mad:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Ok... moving past the BS of sending the president an e-cig... did anyone happen to see who was quoted in the article and what he said????

"It's provocative; it's the bad boy without tars," said Patrick Reynolds, son of the late R.J. Reynolds, who supports the Foundation for a Smokefree America in Los Angeles.

"Electronic cigarettes lack Food and Drug Administration approval as a smoking cessation device. While Reynolds hasn't seen research on electronic cigarettes, since one in four smokers who quit say a cigarette substitute was very helpful, he's reluctant to bash an alternative that is less injurious than cigarettes. "

This is HUGE.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
It doesn't matter how you look at it, they are really going to have a tough time justifying banning E-cigs...........it quite seriously has the potential to completely take over from tobacco smoking......there might be dangers we don't know about....but it's unlikely they could be anything like tobacco smoking.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
It doesn't matter how you look at it, they are really going to have a tough time justifying banning E-cigs...........it quite seriously has the potential to completely take over from tobacco smoking......there might be dangers we don't know about....but it's unlikely they could be anything like tobacco smoking.

Agreed. How could they ban the e-cig even with the unknowns and still allow tobacco cigs with the knowns? This will all be very interesting. Either way, we now know as fact that the RJ Reynolds Foundation is aware of the e-cig. It will be interesting to see what they start saying over the next few weeks.

I personally think it will be a huge statement on the "anti campaigns" behalf if RJR comes out and says that these are a great step forward. It will put the RJR Foundation back into the tobacco harm reduction category and less of the prohibitionist category.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Agreed. How could they ban the e-cig even with the unknowns and still allow tobacco cigs with the knowns? This will all be very interesting. Either way, we now know as fact that the RJ Reynolds Foundation is aware of the e-cig. It will be interesting to see what they start saying over the next few weeks.

I personally think it will be a huge statement on the "anti campaigns" behalf if RJR comes out and says that these are a great step forward. It will put the RJR Foundation back into the tobacco harm reduction category and less of the prohibitionist category.

Lacy I originally hoped that vaping could go unnoticed for as long as possible.....but I think it's just too big a thing for that to be possible.....every smoker you meet wants to try vaping.....and nearly all of them succeed in stopping smoking when they do.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Lacy I originally hoped that vaping could go unnoticed for as long as possible.....but I think it's just too big a thing for that to be possible.....every smoker you meet wants to try vaping.....and nearly all of them succeed in stopping smoking when they do.

Yeah... there is absolutely no way to keep this secret. It is blowing up and I have traffic reports showing a 200% increase month over month over the past six months.

Hold onto your e-cigs folks... the explosion is just around the corner. By the end of 2009, these will be mainstream and every smoker within a 50 mile radius of a computer or a newspaper will know what an e-cig is.

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
Like everything in life, the idiots will screw it up for the rest of us.

It doesn't matter if five million people have been puffing on them for a year and every single one of them are proven healthier today and every single one of them gave up cigarettes immediately upon starting with the e-cig, the FDA surely can and will still ban them if they so desire.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Obama gave plugs to Nicorette. At a campaign event, someone asked him about quitting, and he said the gum was pretty effective, then offered a piece to someone in the audience. If he can plug for Nicorette, he can plug for e cigs. Nicorette is shameless in advertising. Cinnamon Surge, fruit flavors, mint with tooth whiteners....all clearly aimed at teens who can buy the nicotine substitute without regulation and then graduate to smoking after school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread