Octopus + side air = WIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny bobcat

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Colorado
So I got my Smoktech Octopus (rda) today, my first ever rebuildable atty and almost immediately decided that the draw was waaaaayyy to tight. To make things worse the coil that came with it was full of hotspots and would taste awful even at like 3 volts. So i made my own coil and the burning went away, but there was still almost no vapor. :ohmy:
First thing I tried was opening up the stock air hole a bit, but unfortunately that had little to no effect due to the weird pathway the air goes through. Not having a drill on hand i whipped out my trusty swiss army knife (a must have vaping tool ) and used the awl to make a new hole right at coil height and boom, huge plumes of the tastiest vape i've ever had in my close to four years of vaping. So to anyone who is dissatisfied with the airflow from their octopus, try making a new hole in the top ring. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.
Has anyone else already tried this?

Edson Arantes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2012
Mexique
Thinking of getting one since my experience with the Igo L was not that great. A pic would be great Johnny

So I got my Smoktech Octopus (RDA) today, my first ever rebuildable atty and almost immediately decided that the draw was waaaaayyy to tight. To make things worse the coil that came with it was full of hotspots and would taste awful even at like 3 volts. So i made my own coil and the burning went away, but there was still almost no vapor. :ohmy:
First thing I tried was opening up the stock air hole a bit, but unfortunately that had little to no effect due to the weird pathway the air goes through. Not having a drill on hand i whipped out my trusty swiss army knife (a must have vaping tool ) and used the awl to make a new hole right at coil height and boom, huge plumes of the tastiest vape i've ever had in my close to four years of vaping. So to anyone who is dissatisfied with the airflow from their octopus, try making a new hole in the top ring. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

johnny bobcat

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Colorado
Thinking of getting one since my experience with the Igo L was not that great. A pic would be great Johnny

Here you go.
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg
(Please excuse the dirty fingernails, i just got off work. lol)

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Same here, drilled a big additional hole at coil height, plus I've sealed the original hole with epoxy :)

Now it works great, especially with vertical coils, and it doesn't leak liquid any more ;-)

For those interested there's also a full stainless steel version (clone) of the mini octopus, which comes (without the bottom hole, and) with a pre-made side hole instead: recommended!

(...) First thing I tried was opening up the stock air hole a bit, but unfortunately that had little to no effect due to the weird pathway the air goes through. Not having a drill on hand i whipped out my trusty swiss army knife (a must have vaping tool ) and used the awl to make a new hole right at coil height and boom, huge plumes of the tastiest vape i've ever had in my close to four years of vaping. So to anyone who is dissatisfied with the airflow from their octopus, try making a new hole in the top ring. I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
I have also a couple Igo-L, which work fine for me, but the octopus being cylindrical leaves more room at the top and you can take advantage of that extra room. Especially when using vertical coils as I do.

With similar coil configuration the taller octopus gives cooler vapor, which I like better.

On the minus side, the Igo is all stainless steel while the octopus barrel is made of aluminium... Lighter but less durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread