Odd Behavior from Altria - big tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I saw the notifications that Greensmoke and Mark Ten were discontinued by Altria and did not really think too much of it since they invested/bought into juul.

Yesterday I received a mailer at my PO Box. I discarded the packaging it was in (it was the same type of slick packaging that the Marlboro coupons used to come in) and kept the coupon because I was just curious as to what it was.

The coupons were for "Verve" and just looking at it it looked like it was mints in a tube but I can see on the coupon that it contains nic.

So.................I looked it up VERVE® — Discreet Satisfaction for Smokers and they are closing.

#1 why send out promo coupons if you are closing.
#2 what is up with Altria --- they must have something big (other than juul) coming up.

We know that they bought a minority but still a substantial 12 billion stake in juul but I am not sure they would put all the eggs in that basket. I am thinking that the Philip Morris IQOS is very close to getting approved for sale in the USA and Altria would be selling that.

So much for all their bunk (as we all know) about caring for folks. It's all about the $'s.

Attachments

• Verve.JPG
    Verve.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 37

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My initial guess is they were not a very effective product and sales were poor, so they are dropping the product.

I recently tried the on! nicotine pouches because I was looking for a harm reduction nicotine replacement to use when in situations where vaping is not convenient. My previous vape shop manager told me he uses them in hotel rooms. I ordered the 4 mg pouches, and using just one was totally ineffective. I tried using two at once (8mg), and they were also ineffective. (I vape 6mg) Sounded like a good idea, but it didn't work for me.

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
My initial guess is they were not a very effective product and sales were poor, so they are dropping the product.

I recently tried the on! nicotine pouches because I was looking for a harm reduction nicotine replacement to use when in situations where vaping is not convenient. My previous vape shop manager told me he uses them in hotel rooms. I ordered the 4 mg pouches, and using just one was totally ineffective. I tried using two at once (8mg), and they were also ineffective. (I vape 6mg) Sounded like a good idea, but it didn't work for me.

@Baditude I've never tried nic gum, mint thingys or patches. Their popularity seems to be increasing. I wasn't interested in going that route -- but always curious - and am less interested after hearing about your experience. Sorry, it did not work. Maybe some other formulations will come out. If you want one or all of these coupons I will be happy to send -- I have 4. If so, just pm your address and I will send :)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
#2 what is up with Altria --- they must have something big (other than Juul) coming up.

JMO:

It Sounds like they are just trying to Blow Out some remaining Inventories.

"Dear VERVE® Customers,

On December 7th, 2018, our parent company, Altria Group, Inc., announced that U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company will discontinue production and sale of all VERVE® nicotine products. VERVE® nicotine products will be available for purchase online until February 2, 2019 and available at existing retail locations in Colorado, Nevada, Florida, and Virginia while supplies last.

We recognize that this announcement will raise a number of questions from our customers. The Frequently Asked Questions listed below attempt to address what we anticipate being the most commonly posed questions. If you have additional questions that are not addressed below, please call 1-855-VERVING (837-8464).
Thank you

The VERVE® Team"

I mean, since they contain Nicotine, I guess you Can't just grind them up and then Dump them in a Landfill.

Reactions: chellie

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
JMO:

It Sounds like they are just trying to Blow Out some remaining Inventories.

"Dear VERVE® Customers,

On December 7th, 2018, our parent company, Altria Group, Inc., announced that U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company will discontinue production and sale of all VERVE® nicotine products. VERVE® nicotine products will be available for purchase online until February 2, 2019 and available at existing retail locations in Colorado, Nevada, Florida, and Virginia while supplies last.

We recognize that this announcement will raise a number of questions from our customers. The Frequently Asked Questions listed below attempt to address what we anticipate being the most commonly posed questions. If you have additional questions that are not addressed below, please call 1-855-VERVING (837-8464).
Thank you

The VERVE® Team"

I mean, since they contain Nicotine, I guess you Can't just grind them up and then Dump them in a Landfill.
And then look what the next page says ---only shipping to 4 states. Don't know if you can see it in the photos - "Currently shipping to NY, CO, NV, and FL only." Just seems odd to me.

Unless maybe they got tons of stock...lol. I did not get one for Mark Ten after their closing was announced.

Attachments

• Verve-1.jpg
    Verve-1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 8

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
And then look what the next page says ---only shipping to 4 states. Don't know if you can see it in the photos - "Currently shipping to NY, CO, NV, and FL only." Just seems odd to me.

It could have to do with How those states define (or Don't Define) a Tobacco Product(s).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I recently tried the on! nicotine pouches because I was looking for a harm reduction nicotine replacement to use when in situations where vaping is not convenient. My previous vape shop manager told me he uses them in hotel rooms.
Huh? Why? I've never had any compunction about vaping in a hotel room.

I ordered the 4 mg pouches, and using just one was totally ineffective. I tried using two at once (8mg), and they were also ineffective. (I vape 6mg) Sounded like a good idea, but it didn't work for me.
Interesting. I vape 13 mg, and I find a 4mg piece of nic gum to work just fine for about an hour when I'm in those rare situations where I can't vape. I've never tried on!. I wonder of the "salts" in on! are less effective than the polacrilex in traditional nioctine gum?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Let me explain:

I hadn't stayed in a hotel room in a few years. I questioned myself whether I should vape in my room when the check-in clerk said an additional $250 charge would be added to my credit card upon checkout should I smoke in my room.

I know there are two types of smoke detectors. One type is safe to vape around; the other type vapor triggers the alarm. I just didn't want a hassle with the hotel staff, so I either vaped in the bathroom with the fan on or vaped with the bedroom window open. Especially when my son (with whom I was sharing the room with) said he triggers the smoke alarm in his home all the time with his vaping. This was about a month ago when the outside temperatures were in the 30's, so I didn't want to go outside to the designated "smoking area".

My ex vape shop manager manages several stores in different cities and stays in hotels a lot, so I messaged him on how he handles this situation. He recommended the On! nicotine pouches or a pod mod.

I had tried Nicorette gum in the past and it always gave me hiccups and an upset stomach. Patches never worked. I had tried a vape shop employee's pod system and didn't care for it.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

If I'm going to stay in a hotel room, or anywhere that's not my home, I make sure to respect the owners wishes where concerns my actions and behavior ... I just think it's right, whether I personally agree or not.

I don't think going 65 in a 55 is the definition of a punishable crime at 4:30am before anyone else takes to the road, but I respect the speed limits anyway..

agreement on my part isn't necessary, in my estimation. Respecting others wishes while on their property is..

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
If I'm going to stay in a hotel room, or anywhere that's not my home, I make sure to respect the owners wishes where concerns my actions and behavior ... I just think it's right, whether I personally agree or not.

I don't think going 65 in a 55 is the definition of a punishable crime at 4:30am before anyone else takes to the road, but I respect the speed limits anyway..

agreement on my part isn't necessary, in my estimation. Respecting others wishes while on their property is..
I do try to do the right thing, but --you're a better person than me, Opinionated! :)
I don't travel near as much as I used to, but still do sometimes. I never smoked in non-smoking rooms (well- okay, but only standing on the toilet to blow directly into the exhaust!). I kind of respect the purpose of their wishes. I vape in the room because what I vape, in the amount I vape, is undetectable (I know it's undetectable because my bionic nosed wife can't tell), so it doesn't foul the room and cost them money.

I remember the Marriott brand being the first to go totally non-smoking, but are there hotel chains that now ban vaping as well? I haven't seen it, but then, like I said, I don't travel near as much as I used to.

Oh, and my personal speed limit is 9mph above the posted limit...except for sometimes brief, "necessary" bursts. Admittedly, this is out of self interest more than respect, though.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I saw the notifications that Greensmoke and Mark Ten were discontinued by Altria and did not really think too much of it since they invested/bought into Juul.

Yesterday I received a mailer at my PO Box. I discarded the packaging it was in (it was the same type of slick packaging that the Marlboro coupons used to come in) and kept the coupon because I was just curious as to what it was.

The coupons were for "Verve" and just looking at it it looked like it was mints in a tube but I can see on the coupon that it contains nic.

So.................I looked it up VERVE® — Discreet Satisfaction for Smokers and they are closing.

#2 what is up with Altria --- they must have something big (other than Juul) coming up.

We know that they bought a minority but still a substantial 12 billion stake in Juul but I am not sure they would put all the eggs in that basket. I am thinking that the Philip Morris IQOS is very close to getting approved for sale in the USA and Altria would be selling that.

So much for all their bunk (as we all know) about caring for folks. It's all about the $'s.

As mentioned, it really is likely they were trying to sell off as much old stock as possible because hazardous waste disposal is very expensive, far easier to make as many dollars as you can to lessen the expense of disposal.

Altria and other tobacco brands have had a very difficult time breaking into vaping, because they are seen by the vaping community as what we are getting away from. After decades of addiction we weren't looking to tobacco companies for their solution, we didn't trust them. (still don't )

Altria owns a 35% stake in Juul. they aren't far off from controlling interest.

Altria has been purchasing (and closing in many cases) small vape businesses in an effort to narrow the playing field and tilt it more in their favor. With other brand names (Like Juul) as a shield between them and the public, they are making some headway into the market, and Juul was a huge stake.

Juul has the vape market sewn up in their favor, they sell more than any other company in the market I believe. Teamed up with BT they are unstoppable and will be able to navigate all the government BS and become the biggest name in vaping, if they aren't already.

getting rid of competition is next for Altria and Juul, or buying more and more brands to consolidate the market, but as they do, what doesn't work or what doesn't sell will be dumped.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I do try to do the right thing, but --you're a better person than me, Opinionated! :)
I don't travel near as much as I used to, but still do sometimes. I never smoked in non-smoking rooms (well- okay, but only standing on the toilet to blow directly into the exhaust!). I kind of respect the purpose of their wishes. I vape in the room because what I vape, in the amount I vape, is undetectable (I know it's undetectable because my bionic nosed wife can't tell), so it doesn't foul the room and cost them money.

I remember the Marriott brand being the first to go totally non-smoking, but are there hotel chains that now ban vaping as well? I haven't seen it, but then, like I said, I don't travel near as much as I used to.

Oh, and my personal speed limit is 9mph above the posted limit...except for sometimes brief, "necessary" bursts. Admittedly, this is out of self interest more than respect, though.

I think in some cases now the no vaping rules may have come by way of various city ordinances, but I'm not sure on that.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I think in some cases now the no vaping rules may have come by way of various city ordinances, but I'm not sure on that.
But if there's a city/municipal ordinance, it wouldn't control the private property of the hotel, would it? I mean in the rooms - the restaurants/bars/more public areas might be affected. Depending on who's got the best lawyers, I guess.

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
But if there's a city/municipal ordinance, it wouldn't control the private property of the hotel, would it? I mean in the rooms - the restaurants/bars/more public areas might be affected. Depending on who's got the best lawyers, I guess.

I think it's much like determining someone can't vape in their corner office (workspace) when they own the building..Some cities seem to be able to determine a lot. .

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Since I have been vaping for a while I can go without better than when I smoked. I stayed overnight with a friend at the hospital (two nights actually) and after they locked the doors at 9pm -I did not vape. When I travel I call head --even some of the places that bill themselves as non-smoking hotels still have some smoking rooms. When I smoked I would not stay at a hotel unless I could get a smoking room. Now that I vape, I try to get a smoking room but it is not a deal breaker for me if I can't. I have not sneak vaped ... Yet!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread