Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I have an odd problem. Or maybe a silliness problem.
I have 2 EXO RTAs and 2 OBS Engines.
I have identical claptons in all of them, bought them from Adavnced Vape Supply.
One EXO is single coil deck the other dual coil.
I have had nothing but trouble with the dual coil deck on the EXO.
I put it on a G Class, read the resistance, it is .21xx, put it on an ML Class, same. Put it on a dna, same.
I put the Engine on the same mods, same resistance except for the xx part of the number.
So, I set the Yihi mods to 65J, 420F.
The Engine produces a great vape, hits temp quick and holds it there.
I put the single coil EXO on, read resistance, .40xx, seems a bit different as it is the same coil, just single. But, it vapes well with 35J 420F.
The dual EXO at 65J hits about 360F but is a VERY hot vape. Too hot for me.
I've checked this and that, but if the resistance is accurate and the mods work, what else should I look for here?

Thanks.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Well, I replaced the grubs with hex heads. It did change the resistance to .20xx
However, the tank still is very hot and is only hitting/showing 160F on my mods. Which is different than yesterday's 360F
Again, the coils (bought claptons from Advanced Vape Supply) work fine on other tanks, the mods run other tanks with the same coils fine.
This one dual coil deck is not cooperating.
I can better understand this if it were unstable resistance, if it were weak vapor, didn't fire.
It's that it has proper resistance, wicked well, and has very hot (not warm) vapor at such a low reported temp.

I guess I'll re-coil and re-wick as a last ditch effort before tossing the durn thing.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Have you tried a simple SS316 coil for comparison? Just reverting to the basics sometimes provides information to work with. Sometimes, reverting to the simplest bootable configuration provides insight.

A good idea, don't have any 316, but have some SS 430 and some NiFe52 to try.

Reactions: DaveP

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
TL;DR Single coil decks work great, duals fail.

Well, here's where the story ends.
I re-coiled, still bad.
I thought "Hey maybe it really isn't hitting 420, increase power' Bad idea.
I swapped the decks between bases (the EXO has two decks a single and a dule that screw into a base'
Problem stayed with the base. Ok, now I have something to work with.
I got the brand new dual deck from the package (been sampling the single) cleaned and coiled it.
Install to either base, bad, same too hot vapor and nowhere near 420.
So, I got out the other single deck, stole a coil from the dual, wicked.
Vapes like a champ on either base.

I understand that others have this tank and use the dual deck. I'm happy for them.
Here, for me, the only deck that will vape on both tanks I have is the single.

Fortunately, I love the single and probably would have used it in the end anyway.

Single wire, both SS 430 or NiFe52 didn't work. SS 430 claptons didn't work. Increase power, ramp, preheat, nothing. Same bad result in any combination.

I won't revisit this as there is no solution. It also takes away from enjoying my shiny new Mini G Class.
The single coil on this equals other dual coil tanks I have. And that's saying something.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a boxful of atomizers I've tried and then gone back to what worked. Most of the time those tanks were meant to be vaped in ways that aren't compatible with my low watt vaping style. Too much air or too much coil mass for low watt vaping.

Still, I read the reviews and try to find RTA's that match my vaping style. I suppose that's why the PIF (Pay it Forward) forum is so popular (where people swap and sell vaping devices).

Pay It Forward - PIF

Reactions: ShowerHead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread