Odd taste coming out of my NJoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
For most of the day today, I've been experiencing a pretty awful taste from my njoy. At first, I thought it might have been due to my using Crown7 packings in my old njoy cartridges. However, today I received the cartridges I bought from MyECig.com, and while they tasted fine for a bit, the same foul taste has come back.

It tastes/smells ever so slightly of sulfur...I'm afraid that's the best I can do to describe it.

Any advice?

What leaford said. You may have e-cig juice crud in it or it could be the older Njoy atomizer. Don't void that warranty. Just email Mark at Njoy and let him know what's going on. He will get back with you. I got the newer atomizer last Friday and it seems to be doing pretty good! No ukky taste and it seems to be smoking fine too.

Same thing from one of my 2 atomizer on my electronic cigarette. It MAY be the polyster burning (or having burned with an old cartridge). Anyway to clean that? I tried with regular water (then blowing water, putting liquid from cartridge and smoking a little bit to remove water) and the taste is lower, but still there....

Thanks in advance!

quirky

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2008
Use tweezers (the really fine pointed type) to pull out any fibers stuck in the atomizer head. Then blow through the battery end. Liquid gets under the bottom plate of the atomizer and gets gross ;)
Blow hard and several times until there is no more moisture coming out. You can rinse if you want to - but I prefer just to blow the junk out. You have to blow hard btw.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I got the odd taste w/the Njoy and seemed to have some success today removing it.
- blew out the atomizer using computer air (pointing the straw onto the battery end of the atomizer),
- then dry smoked it (no cartridge, just original mouthpiece) WITHOUT INHALING for probably 45 minutes.

There were great billowing clouds of vapor as I really puffed away on it. I noticed after I took a hit that if I pulled off the mouthpiece the atomizer was still vaporing (has anyone else noticed this?). It definitely seemed to be burning something off the atomizer that wasn't quite normal.

Once the vapor had dwindled down to very little, I tried a regular new cart again and the burning taste/smell has so far been gone.

All of you whose posts gave me the above ideas - THANK YOU!!

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Sulphur... sounds more like 'cartridge or liquid left in too long' to me... This could be the case with a new e-cig too: maybe it was on a shelf for a couple of weeks before being sent to you. Or even more time went by since someone last put some liquid (testing-liquid at factory perhaps) into it ...
I've had it with one of my devices, no doubt at all that it was time-related and not wool-related or in any way burn-related... and boy was that foul, and hard to get out (still not out all the way).

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
there is always vapour in the atomizer of my pipe when i pull the end off to drip it.. its normal and quite clearly vapour.. not smoke.. the atomizer isnt visable untill i gently blow it out.. i take it as a sign everything is okay..

but quite a lot of liquid can make its way past the atomizer and accumulate underneath it.. when drained or reverse blown out its a dark-ish brown.. i notice this with my generic 901 minis after several days use..

45 minutes of vapour with no cart is simply the accumulated liquid in and around the atomizer.. some of it will be old liquid thats been in the bottom of the atomizer for several days..

as for something really burning.. its not really possible.. there isnt anything there to burn in sufficient quantities to produce real visible smoke..

what u see jamie is vapour.. it might not taste or smell right because its old accumulated stuff.. but its definitely vapour..

trog

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Thanks all.

trog100 said:
there is always vapour in the atomizer of my pipe when i pull the end off to drip it.. its normal and quite clearly vapour..

but quite a lot of liquid can make its way past the atomizer and accumulate underneath it.. when drained or reverse blown out its a dark-ish brown..

as for something really burning.. its not really possible.. there isnt anything there to burn in sufficient quantities to produce real visible smoke..

Yes I agree it appeared to be vapor. The difference I saw is that under normal conditions, if I pull the end off after taking a hit, there is a WISP of vapor remaining.... During this particular process the vapor continued rolling out of the atomizer nearly unchecked for a longer time, accompanied by some sizzling sounds. It could have been old liquid.

What I meant by something really "burning" is that it stunk of burning, which normal vapor does not.

I was able to blow liquid out of the atomizer onto a kleenex however it appeared the normal color of pale yellow, not brown.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
the colour can vary.. sometimes it looks clear sometimes it looks brownish..

as to "heat".. or the difference between "boiling" which is what should happen and burning which can happen but really shouldnt.. well when there is only a very small amount of liquid coating the hot atomizer coil burning can happen..

the liquid takes away heat from the coil.. if the coil is not wet enough the actual surface temp of the heater coil will be higher.. near red hot in some cases.. they can be made to glow in the dark quite easily.. try a reverse blow while looking in a mirrow in a darkish room..

there can be a high enough surface temp to burn the liquid still sticking to the heater coil..

the bottom line is its very crude technology.. i clean some of mine by reverse blowing.. they stink with a very acrid smell whilst doing this..

in a perfect world the heater would produce enough heat to boil the vapour and not burn it.. but.. the technology aint quite there yet.. without a complete redesigned i cant see it improving much either..

trog

ps.. the coil temp varies between different atomizers and will be higher with a good freshly charged battery.. u might have a "hot" one.. lots of vapour but a bit burny.. a wimp wont do this.. win some lose some.. he he he

bishybob

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Arizona, USA
I just wanted to add something.
You guys who are using canned air to blow out your e-cigs be careful.
Most of them contain bitter taste to try to deter people from huffing them.
I've noticed when I use a lot of canned air to blow out a dusty computer I can taste the bitterness in the air.

Don't transfer that taste to your e-cigs it's awful!

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
bishybob said:
I just wanted to add something.
You guys who are using canned air to blow out your e-cigs be careful.
Most of them contain bitter taste to try to deter people from huffing them.
I've noticed when I use a lot of canned air to blow out a dusty computer I can taste the bitterness in the air.

Don't transfer that taste to your e-cigs it's awful!

Yes I'll second that. First blow the air on a tissue to clear out liquid, then just one or two puffs into the atomizer, no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread