Not open for further replies.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Hey guys,

There have been a few threads started where people are asking about R and NR wire, which kind to buy and where to buy it. Information gets burried and is all over the place yet it's a very important topic especially to those who are just coming in to the world of rebuildable atties. I think it would be very useful to have a Sticky thread that's all about R and NR wire. This would be the place where everyone can post links of where they buy their wire, which type they like and why, and where general and specific questions and answers can be all brought to one place so that a new person walking in can get a quick education and find appropriate links without wasting much time.

Any thoughts?

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Another sticky we should have if I may recommend one is the resistances of pre-determined lengths. For example, with semi-soft silver NR wire a piece of 1.5 inch long 36ga nichrome will result in 2.8-3.0 ohms. I say this for the benefit of coil builders that don't have a meter.
I actually have a pony with measurements and resistances. Actually, now, I just marked off 1.5" on my clippers so i don't even use a ruler anymore. My perfect coil is a 3 ohm

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Nice idea Vapor. Is it possible for you to collect this info and post it here buddy?

I could search the forum, find what people have posted in the past, and copy and paste it here if you'd like. But I certainly don't know all the source since I'm relatively new in this game of rebuildable atties... I guess I envisioned it to be more of an open thread where everyone could post their most current sources with links and update as things change and more sources become available; which type of wire they use, how much they paid (price comparisons), speed of shipment, level of service, is the seller in US, Europe, Asia... That way someone who is new and looking for this info can get different points of view and opinions from many experts in the field. This could turn out to be a short thread with just links or it could turn out to be a place for exchange and discussions.

As you know, questions about wire and wick seem to be the most common ones these days and having a centralized source would be nice. Whichever direction you take is fine as long as we do something for new guys. Let me know how we can help. Thanks.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Another sticky we should have if I may recommend one is the resistances of pre-determined lengths. For example, with semi-soft silver NR wire a piece of 1.5 inch long 36ga nichrome will result in 2.8-3.0 ohms. I say this for the benefit of coil builders that don't have a meter.
I actually have a pony with measurements and resistances. Actually, now, I just marked off 1.5" on my clippers so i don't even use a ruler anymore. My perfect coil is a 3 ohm

Yea, that's kind of what I'm talking about... Zoranth actually started covering that in another thread a few days ago but in a few weeks that info may be harder to find for someone new when that thread gets buried.

cryodream

Dec 7, 2010
FL, US
What about wick? Why only R & NR wires? I asked about wick days ago, nobody gave a decent answer.

IMO, to many stickies as it is. We're on the way to having it hit "Page 2" just to see new content.
-Z

Totally agree on too many stickies. Don't get me wrong, stiky on wires and wick should be made, but someone should make some info consolidation here. The real good information here is buried so deep under pointless chitchat, that is quite hard to find anything, if you're not "living" here. Imho - total chaos.

Last edited:

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
What about wick? Why only R & NR wires? I asked about wick days ago, nobody gave a decent answer.

QUOTE]

There isn't nearly as many options for wick.

Stock wick works well isn't export controlled and has health certificates. It also requires no modifications but is a little harder to come by.

SS Mesh is popular in rebuildables but unless I am wrong doesn't have the health certs and does require a reasonable amount of work to make it work. IE Torch for carbonizing and you will need some stock wick or something to go between the wick and the knurled ring so it doesnt scratch off the carbonization and short it out.

Nextel XC wick is import controlled so it can only be reliably obtained in the US. Not sure on health concerns some have reported a cough with it others like myself like it. It does require some effort to use though as you need at least a torch to burn off the sizing and for best results a kiln to harden. It also requires ceramic modification.

Other then that the wickstore wick has had some health concerns pop up. Other wicks havn't been reviewed much or talked about much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread