Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I have a Drill and a Dremel so I guess for twisting wires together I am all set save for a small bench vice, but with as lightweight as my rechargeable Dremel tool is I can anchor the other end with a pair of flat noses pliers for twisting :D

Now For the Safety Soapbox Routine.........

It is really cool to create something that produces an AMAZING vape and all, but lets not forget safety. If we forget Safety we end up like the poor Gentleman in Florida who lost his teeth due to stacking batteries and going for the "Ultimate Vape". batteries have a maximum amperage discharge rating, even High Drains have a limit of how much amperage they can safely apply to a device before they catastrophically fail.

The Most important thing to take away is when you see something in a video or read it somewhere and you see or hear the words

Do Not Try This At Home Then Please Please Please.... Heed That Warning and do not Try it!!

Okay End of Safety Brief :D

Hoping Everyone has an Awesome Sunday :D

Vape Hard But Vape Safe
Nate aka Darth Vapor

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I can't agree more.

There are also best practice rules to stacking batteries which a lot of people tend to ignore. People that routinely stack batteries buy batteries specifically for stacking and keep the pair of them together for the life of the batteries. This keeps the batteries in synch for lack of a better term. Batteries at different stages of their lives or holding different charges can cause serious problems. When you get one weaker battery stacked with a more powerful battery you can have a very bad situation occur.

Realistically these batteries contain enough energy to cause some serious damage. These are not your old duracell batteries that will leak a bit of stuff when compromised and no damage will be done.

If you don't have a multi meter and you aren't following best practices around this kind of stuff you are putting yourself at increased risk. That doesn't mean something bad will happen but you are increasing the potential. We all got of cigarettes to be healthier and safer after all.

/end safety lecture

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
This is absolutely a true statement Ezkill. When I used to stack batteries about 10 months ago when I got my VMOD XL to get the best performance I bought 4 unopened brand new 18350 batteries and 4 Brand new unopened CR123 batteries. The Method I used was a little OCD but it went as follows:

18350's:

Pair One: Labeled with Sharpie Pen Right on the Batteries Themselves and covered with a small piece of clear packing tape to keep it there: A1 and A2 to indicate they were a Pair not to be used in any other configuration and to be used and charged together.

Pair Two: Labeled with Sharpie Pen Right on the Batteries Themselves and covered with a small piece of clear packing tape to keep it there: B1 and B2 to indicate they were a Pair not to be used in any other configuration and to be used and charged together.

Same went with the CR123 Batteries. After Every Charge with all of these batteries I took out my Multimeter to ensure they read within 0.01 Volts tolerances of being exactly equally charged.

Now I know this is a bit overboard with the safety issue but I am ugly enough as it is and I do not need my Face blown up to add to it LOL

I am Off to E-Cig City in Laguna Beach all, so I will be back to check in later on. If anyone is in the area and wants to meet up it is a short drive and a GREAT Place to hang out and Vape.

Nate aka Darth Vapor

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I don't understand this twisting-if I twist two pieces of 0,16 nichrome, lets say 3cm.
My nichrome has 60 ohms per meter so 3 cm should have 1,8 ohms, so if I twist 2x3cm together how much ohm will I get? 0,9 or 3,6???

Twisting it you halve the resistance.

3cm of your twisted nichrome would have .9 ohms....one half of 1.8.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
What is the benefit of having such low resistance?

It's two different things you can do:

You can lower resistance with the wire you have by twisting it and get a hotter vape

-OR-

You can double the number of coils with the same twisted wire and keep the resistance you are used to.

So in your example you could use 6cm of twisted wire and keep your resistance of 1.9ohms if that's what you like. More coils provide a more saturated vape. The twisted wire also has the functionality of holding a bit of juice in the twists and provides for a thicker vape.

If I use 3cm of straight 32 and 3cm of twisted 34 it's about the same ohms. Since 34 has double the ohms per meter of 32 it's more or less the same. In my opinion the twisted 34 is a better vape then the not twisted 32 even though it has the same ohms.

It all comes down to personal preference but there is a noticeable difference at the same ohms between twisted 34 and single 32.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
By the way, a Dremel is not necessary to twist a wire perfectly, all you need is a pen and some pliers. Cut a larger piece of wire bend it in the middle, put a pen through the sling, hold the two ends with the pliers firmly and start twisting the pen. I must admit this is a little more physical work than with a dremel. :)

Yea of course....but I like to make a lot at one time. I also think it's funny to buzz a dremel for 2 seconds and have 1 meter of perfectly coiled wire hehe.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
I just got a small amount of 34 AWG Nichrome Wire so next weekend I will probably try a twisted single coil design and see how that vapes. It should be pretty good as long as I twist them wires nice and even.

Just Put my Full mode Ody on a diet and shrank it down to normal size mode with the Kir Fanis Tank. Love the look of that for sure :D Thing still holds a little over 3 and a half ml of juice so with a Penelope that also holds 3.5 to 4 ml of juice I should be set for the day with zero need for taking bottles with me :D

Hope everyones day went exceptionally well :D
Nate aka Darth Vapor

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I'll make a video later on twisting the two wires different gauge wires but when working with thin thin wires like 34/36 gauge they will twist with ease. After they are both twist and you attach one side to non resistance wire start to ohm it out with your multi meter say 1.5 ohms to start. Mark it and leave yourself enough room to wrap the other non resistance wire. After done check your single coil make sure if 1.5 ohms. repeat process then test it out. if you find it not hot enough decrease ohms if it to hot increase ohms.I like mine at .6-.8 ohms is my sweet spot.

if you use two 34/34 you will need two be within 5-6 volts. not ideal I used two 18650 which gave it more power than it needed.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
if you use two 34/34 you will need two be within 5-6 volts. not ideal I used two 18650 which gave it more power than it needed.

You have to remember that 1.5 ohms at 3.7 volts is still over 9 watts.

95% of people fall into the comfortable vaping zone of somewhere between 7-8 watts. This stuff is fun to do and fun to watch but the vast majority of people simply don't vape at 20 watts.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
You have to remember that 1.5 ohms at 3.7 volts is still over 9 watts.

95% of people fall into the comfortable vaping zone of somewhere between 7-8 watts. This stuff is fun to do and fun to watch but the vast majority of people simply don't vape at 20 watts.

I agree, I have come with folks that are afraid to even use a mod they stick with ecigs from gas stations and grocery stores. I came across folks that were financially challenged for certain mods. One thing I have noticed is that we all enjoy to vape.
Some folks have there own sweet spots. Some folks try new hotter sweet spots and they get to enjoy that. As for me hey i don't smoke in a regular basis past 100 watts but hey it can very well be done and its safe if done correctly. So far I am very much enjoying the vapes so much better with the 4 resistance wires and 2 non resistance that I had to share the wonderful experience and for the folks that enjoy vaping at those numbers im sure they probably already knew of this.

I love vaping with folks that enjoy to vape and that are vaping geeks. the more the better brainstorm and testing and more vaping.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
You can do it by hand or with a drill or dremel, Nate. There literally is no magic to it, the wire naturally wants to twist perfectly if you only twist from the ends. You won't end up with a section thats more twisted then any other section so long as you only twist from the ends.

Like I said I clamp one end and put the other end in a dremel. Buzz, buzz, buzz...perfect wire that looks like a rope every time. Just let the wire do it's own thing and it will work out perfectly.

You actually want it wound together really well as you won't have any problems and the wire almost becomes a secondary wick. You can actually see the juice gathering in the twists of the wires.

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
You can do it by hand or with a drill or dremel, Nate. There literally is no magic to it, the wire naturally wants to twist perfectly if you only twist from the ends. You won't end up with a section thats more twisted then any other section so long as you only twist from the ends.

Like I said I clamp one end and put the other end in a dremel. Buzz, buzz, buzz...perfect wire that looks like a rope every time. Just let the wire do it's own thing and it will work out perfectly.

You actually want it wound together really well as you won't have any problems and the wire almost becomes a secondary wick. You can actually see the juice gathering in the twists of the wires.

Yeppers, Once I get some time off this weekend I am going to unspool and straighten some res wire and get it twisted to form a nice snug braid and then try one of these coils. I know with the 3.6 MM wick going down the side and the 3mm wick on top the coils I am building are hitting like champs :D But I am always open to trying something new :D

Nate aka Darth Vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread