Status
Not open for further replies.

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
10% distilled water to 100% VG will give you the consistency of about 70%PG/30%VG without affecting the flavor of the juice, much beyond that & it gets far too thin. Its also fun to use the same percentage of Vodka (either flavored or unflavored :)). Adds a whole new dimension to many juices.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
...... Its also fun to use the same percentage of Vodka (either flavored or unflavored :)). Adds a whole new dimension to many juices.

I like vodka in my juice also. It seems to add some th and flavor, but I have to be careful with it as it takes my throat out if I vape it over a long period of time.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I would say it depends first on what atty your using & how it wicks. Second how thick is your vg to start with... There are differences. I imagine your trying to get better wicking. Deperning on how much help you need wicking. I would
Start low, and try it you can always add more Drops easily. Even straight in the tank. 3% is where I would start. You can go up or down from there. 1 drop in 5 ml is ~ 1%

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
Hi there!

I was just going to dash over to Trader Joe's and grab a bottle of VG, and I had the same question about diluting with distilled water.

It seems I'm becoming more and more sensitive to nic as time goes on.

So, 10% distilled water will do it? I'm using a Kanger T2 tank, short wick.

Thanks!

Yep 10% seems to work out pretty well, even with the Honey-like VGs. BTW ...if you don't want to wait for your VG, if you have a CVS Pharmacy in your area, pick up a bottle of their Pure Glycerine (USP). It's 100% VG, top quality, relatively cheap, easy to get when you run low, and vapes like a champ. You also eliminate one of the biggest costs in buying VG - the shipping.

I've been using it for my DIYs for over a year now, and I love it...if you read the reviews, so do a lot of other vapers. The only VG I've bought online since someone told me about this is my VG nicotine juice. It also has a nice clean flavor.

This is the stuff to look for: CVS Pure Glycerin USP - CVS pharmacy

It's usually in the ladies hand creams, lotions & that kind of stuff.....

Works for me....

EDIT: Just looked up Trader Joe's ..I assumed you were getting VG online...obviously they have the same stuff locally. I didn't know we had one down here (not too far away actually), I'll have to go check it out... Good to know there are other alternatives :)

Last edited:

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
For DIY I pre-thin my 100 mg VG based nic in batches of 150 mL and use 20% distilled water, and then relabel it as 80 mg nic. Its viscosity at 70°F is the same as pure PG. I also pre-thin my pure NOW brand VG in the same way, and it's much easier to measure.

I prefer thin juice since I almost always use cartos (naked, no tank). It absorbs quickly when dripping to top off.

Rusty S.

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Kitsap County, Washington State
Yep 10% seems to work out pretty well, even with the Honey-like VGs. BTW ...if you don't want to wait for your VG, if you have a CVS Pharmacy in your area, pick up a bottle of their Pure Glycerine (USP). It's 100% VG, top quality, relatively cheap, easy to get when you run low, and vapes like a champ. You also eliminate one of the biggest costs in buying VG - the shipping.

EDIT: Just looked up Trader Joe's ..I assumed you were getting VG online...obviously they have the same stuff locally. I didn't know we had one down here (not too far away actually), I'll have to go check it out... Good to know there are other alternatives :)

Hi There!

We don't have CVS on the left coast--it was our go-to when we lived back east, though.

I haven't been able to find VG anywhere else but Trader Joe's, which is kind of weird. I looked at Walgreens and Rite Aid, with no luck. Wal-Mart has glycerine in their H&B section, but there was no information on the bottle saying what kind of glycerin it was, what the purity was, etc.

You're right about the shipping being the worst part of buying plain VG, so it's lucky we have a TJ's here. I was worried about finding someone who sells PG, but I think I'm going to hold off on that. I think PG might be too irritating on my throat, and it's hard to find a vendor who doesn't sell it in 1 gal jugs, which is a bit much for me. If distilled water will do the trick, I'm in.

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
Hi There!

.....You're right about the shipping being the worst part of buying plain VG, so it's lucky we have a TJ's here. I was worried about finding someone who sells PG, but I think I'm going to hold off on that. I think PG might be too irritating on my throat, and it's hard to find a vendor who doesn't sell it in 1 gal jugs, which is a bit much for me. If distilled water will do the trick, I'm in.

I'm like you - I try to stick to as close to 100% VG as I can because too much of it gives me a very dry mouth (even when drinking water all the time), and also a sore throat if I use too much of it. I haven't found a source for PG locally either, but I only use PG for my NETs (cigar & pipe tobacco extractions), so I need some for that. While VG works for extractions, it takes far longer to mature (steep) and it's a devil to try to filter the tobacco out of the extract with VG.

PG is also a far better flavor carrier than VG, but again, It try to keep it below 10%. I know that Tractor Supply has pure PG, but I'm hesitant to try it for vaping, and the smallest amount you can get is a 1/2 Gallon....

Oh well, no biggie... Just have to keep my eyes open for a local supply (very few vape -shops in the area, and the ones we do have are not oriented toward DIY at all). I'll Just order it online since I don't need much of it anyway.

psycheval

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
Forget
Just about any chain pharmacy is going to have VG USP. Any Farm Supply type stores should have PG USP. I don't pay to ship either one. I go get it. My VG comes straight from HUMCO. Wife. Last 5 or 6 bottles have had CVS and Wal-Mart labels. Some pharmacies might carry a little PG too. If they compound they probably have it.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Our base mix (before adding VG/nic and flavoring) is currently 80% VG and 20% "dilution".

The 20% dilution consists of:
45% distilled water
45% .9% sterile saline solution (distilled/sterile water containing .9% saline - available at pharmacies and Amazon)
10% PGA (pure grain alcohol - 190 proof NOTE: not 10% of the base/blend; 10% of the 20% dilution of the base/blend!)

The saline solution helps the flavors "pop", and helps with dry mouth & hydration.

Hopefully, we'll be able to increase the dilution to 30%...with an increase in the % of the sterile saline solution (decreasing the % of plain distilled water).

We think this base solution (with vg/nic at 12%), is a great vape on it's own...particularly when we get vapers tongue and we just need a break from "flavors" in general. Of course, you could add any % of nic (or none at all).

Btw, I use this calculator Ejuice calculator (added quantity calculations) VG tab - setting it up for 12% vg/nic and no PG...and then use 20% as the number in the Water/Vodka/PGA section. Once I know the quantity of the full 20% dilution, I calculate the amount of the individul ingredients manually.

Vape on!

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
If you are using high vg as I have in every carto, tank, rba, or dripper Ive owned it should be 80%vg/20% everything else. Everything else includes flavors, dw, or other additives.

You can go to 70%vg/30% everything else but you may have issues in some equipment as itll be too viscous. Id only go that route when using lots of flavoring.

You will find 80%/20% to work perfectly across all equipment. The key is getting vg to wick properly. DW or PGA will aid you in that cause.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Cool guys just got a bottle from drug store and did 10% distilled water and 5% saline solution I just made up myself. So 15% dilution of base looks pretty good. For a bottom coil kanger, I'm sure top coil would be best at 20.

Thanks for the tip on the saline solution we2, I had been thinking about salt as its a primary sensory flavor. What you have described sounds very interesting there. Have never ran across that idea. You should possibly start a thread on this to let us know how your experiments go. I will be trying it later today

tdinello

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2013
Versailles,KY,USA
This is the stuff to look for: CVS Pure Glycerin USP - CVS pharmacy

It's usually in the ladies hand creams, lotions & that kind of stuff.....

I went there today to get some and couldn't find it with the hand creams. I asked and they showed me where it was. I was located across the isle on the bottom shelf next to the Vitamin E oil. They also had some behind the Pharmacy (Humco?) but was twice the price. If you can't find it just ask. They are there to help.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Cool guys just got a bottle from drug store and did 10% distilled water and 5% saline solution I just made up myself. So 15% dilution of base looks pretty good. For a bottom coil kanger, I'm sure top coil would be best at 20.

Thanks for the tip on the saline solution we2, I had been thinking about salt as its a primary sensory flavor. What you have described sounds very interesting there. Have never ran across that idea. You should possibly start a thread on this to let us know how your experiments go. I will be trying it later today

You're more than welcome! I started thinking about adding 'salt' in some form another when I first started learning & researching about vaping (for hydration, health, taste, etc). After quitting analogs in favor of vaping (and then starting to research DIYing), I was very surprised to see virtually nothing about it :( However, after finding this thread...(good posts by bonniegirl #53, and by others on either side): http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/268760-diy-master-techniques-flavor-add-ons-em-vw-bw-mts-acv-ect-2.html#post5559578...it seemed in order to 'know' I was going to have to do the experimenting needed to show/prove results. So that's what I'm doing.

The differences (all positive) between the flavors I mixed with our "no saline base" (using only vg, vg/nic, dw, pga) compared to those mixed with our current base (with added saline) is substantial (to me). However, I've always had a sense of smell & taste that are extremely "fine tuned" - and since I've ingested nothing but 99% 'organic' (including stuffing our own analogs using organically grown tobacco for years), I can't say how substantially others will be able to discern the differences. However, my hubby's senses of taste/smell are more limited, and he is able to taste/sense the difference between the no-saline and saline-added bases & mixes.

At this point, we're anxious to find out how the saline will affect the various aspects of DIYing, but frustratingly, we don't have the time & energy (money or space) to continue duplicating everything we mix using a non-saline base as well as with a saline-base. So we're not going to gain a crystal clear picture of how the saline is/not affecting the various flavors & additives compared to not adding saline.

If you have the time/supplies, do mix up small batches of some kind of 'base' (one with and one without saline), and then vape them side by side...without a flavor added, and then adding a flavor. I think you'll be amazed at the positive difference the saline adds.

I'm always wanting to learn more about everything :) If you will, please let me know why a bigger dilution would be more suited to a top coil.

I'd love to take your suggestion on starting a 'saline thread'...but there's a LOT of catching up around here I'll need to do first :::sigh:::

'Hope the saline works out for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread