Officially quit smoking and will be running my first marathon next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillypanda

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
new york
Hey all!

I know most of you don't know me since I'm usually lurking around but I would like to ask you all to help me get the finish line. I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in.

I started smoking since I was 19/20 years old and about 6 months ago, I started vaping (I am 25). It wasn't till last month when I was able to officially quit smoking.

During the process of me quitting, I joined the New York Road Runner running club. I signed up for my first 10k in July and I'll be honest, it was not easy at all since I was still smoking (but not heavily). Last month, I completed my very first half marathon and since I had completely stopped smoking, I broke my personal 5k and 10k record!

I will be running the 2014 TCS New York Marathon with Team for Kids. Team for Kids is a team of volunteers who raise funds for critical services provided by New York Road Runners Youth Programs. These programs combat childhood obesity and empower youth development via running and character-building programs in low-income schools and community centers in New York City, throughout the country, and in Africa.

I will be focusing on training for this race from now till the day of. I will post my progress for those who are interested!

Please help me get to the marathon finish line by donating whatever you can. Quitting smoking makes it easier to run but your support will give me the extra push I'll need to finish!!
Team for Kids - Tiffany tam Public Page

Thank you so much for your time!
Tiffany

Last edited:

sillypanda

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
new york
Good for you. Everyone should run some.

Once you do your first full marathon I hope you will be running at least one ten mile run each week.

I enjoy running very much now. I will be doing 9 more races with NYRR this year. Five of them will be half marathons. After doing the 9 races, I will be guaranteed a spot for the 2015 NY Marathon. There are also out of state/country races that I am looking into but I need to focus on this marathon first. :)

Camaroboi13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
San Bernardino, CA, USA
Wow, that's absolutely amazing, great job! I'm only a few years older than you (30 in january, doh!) But I smoked for a lot longer (since I was 14) and I've been free for 80 days now. I still don't feel like I'm in any shape to be running around in marathons, but I do want to do an Ironman style triathalon. I am an excellent swimmer, and I put about 1000 miles on my bike every year, so those are the easy parts. I just can't get myself to run or even jog for very long at all though. Even when I was a kid and had all the athletic skills in the world I was still turning out 9-10 minute miles, nowhere near as well as they should have been based on my abilities.

So if you're truly up to it, I say go for it...that's the best thing you can do for yourself! Stay healthy my friends!

sillypanda

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
new york
Thank you all for the kind words!!

Wow, that's absolutely amazing, great job! I'm only a few years older than you (30 in january, doh!) But I smoked for a lot longer (since I was 14) and I've been free for 80 days now. I still don't feel like I'm in any shape to be running around in marathons, but I do want to do an Ironman style triathalon. I am an excellent swimmer, and I put about 1000 miles on my bike every year, so those are the easy parts. I just can't get myself to run or even jog for very long at all though. Even when I was a kid and had all the athletic skills in the world I was still turning out 9-10 minute miles, nowhere near as well as they should have been based on my abilities.

So if you're truly up to it, I say go for it...that's the best thing you can do for yourself! Stay healthy my friends!

It's definitely not easy and I'm still having problems breathing as I'm running but it's not stopping me from running. That feeling you get when you cross the finish line is absolutely worth it!! Nothing beats the natural high!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread