The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Oh the many considerations about what tank to buy

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Anemephistus, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Anemephistus

Anemephistus Senior Member ECF Veteran

Alright, I am a bit :) uptight with my vaping gear. I like my Kayfun 3.1 clone and how it draws but I think that there must be a better option for flavor. I run it with a 2.5 ohm coil build and since I use a 50 watt mod with it I have lots of options for intensity of vapor, it doesn't have a buck down circuit so I run with higher ohms to compensate.

My Kayfun is just such a pain to coil and I'm sick of the screw to refill it, and I simply hate the screw placement for the coils and how they are rounded on the bottom so they push out wire from under them if I don't turn the wire around the screws or hit them just right.

I'm looking for some suggestions that take a few things into account and I'm hoping that perhaps you folks would provide your insights.

I like tight airflow, not really tight but restricted enough that it is good for a good mouth draw with a little resistance on a hard draw. Adjustable airflow from none to full bore would be great if the adjustment is simple enough, and I want flavor, with a deck large enough to get a couple of pretty good size coils in it since I want higher ohms once they are both installed, I know I'll be using thin wire to get this. I hate fighting gurgling but I know that most devices when wicked and built properly don't have this issue. I also want a device that is 22mm around. I like the look of the Kanger sub tank but I just don't want it hanging off the edges of my Z-50.

Pictures never tell the whole story and I figure someone was in a similar position to mine and picked a good tank. I'm thinking about a Aqua V2 clone, but I'd love some input from people that have used a few more options and might know of something that could fit the bill or if there is anything better.

2. Arnie H

Arnie H Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2013
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I love a tight draw myself. If your into genesis style, I would recommend the Kraken with a narrow drip tip (Kayfunesque). Also like the AGI, its versatile and has a single tiny airflow. Also liked the Aqua and the Squape when I had them.Both have ample decks, particularly the Squape.

3. Anemephistus

How was building the Aqua? It does look like the deck size is pretty good, is the wicking particularly touchy? Four channels seems like it could be messy but this thing has amazing reviews.

I gave up on my Kraken, I loved it but the top atomizers have a leaking issue that is fundamental to their design and since I carry my rig around and have to leave it in my car at work I stopped using it when i got the Kayfun. It was a nice device, I just never fell in love with it and the bottom coil design just stole me away.

4. Arnie H

Arnie H Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2013
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Of the four channel bottom coil/kayfun bell/chimney types I have tried, I liked the Aqua the best. Only downside was tiny juice capacity and for some, not being able to see your juice level. It was also a 21 mm device from what I recall. Don't know about the new versions though.

5. Anemephistus

Right on, I appreciate your thoughts on it. I think I'm going to look into the aqua V2. It seems to be pretty well made and has overcome many of the complaints that surrounded the Version 1 device. It seems like the deck is good sized and the airflow has a full adjustment. I'm touchy about my vaping gear, I looked up your suggestions and I really like the aqua and it's newest version seems to fit the bill.

Thank you for the benefit of your experience with these.

6. CrazyCory564

CrazyCory564 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2014
    Other than a Lemo, I doubt any of them will have better flavor than the kayfun. I run a 3.1 clone between 1-1.5 ohm, and it's the most flavorful atty I own. But a lot of people say the Lemo is actually better flavor

7. Anemephistus

I will certainly post my thoughts on weather or not the Aqua V2 tobeco clone I have ordered holds up to what I am looking for. If it does not then a Lemo is certainly a consideration. I look forward to seeing how it goes!

8. roxynoodle

roxynoodle Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I think you should look at the Lemo and Aquav2.

The Lemo also has a fill screw, but the build deck is huge compared to the Kayfun's. And it has holes for your leads if you don't want to use the deck screws. The draw can be anywhere from tight to open.

You might like the Squape Reloaded. The only good clone though is the EHPro. The rest range from small problems to huge.

9. ignotus

ignotus Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Texas
    The Rose has better flavor and wicks far better.

My twin KFL+'s are officially retired.

10. ignotus

Nov 26, 2014
    Texas
    The Lemo is 23mm FYI.

11. CrazyCory564

Dec 31, 2014
    It does not wick better than my 3.1. If it does, it doesn't matter considering i could chain vape for hours and it would keep up. So if it does, I wouldn't even notice.

I do like the rose though. Thinking about getting one. Also looking at taifun gt 2 and lemo

12. roxynoodle

Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    The Rose is the queen :)

But the OP was looking for easy to build. The Rose is not always easy to build.

13. Butters80

Butters80 Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2013
    Boise, ID
    I've not used the rose but can vouch for the lemo. I have 5 kayfun 3.1 clones and two kebo russian 91%s. All work very well, but not near as well as the lemo....and for the price and performance of the lemo, imo it's definately the way to go for an RTA.

14. Anemephistus

Thanks for letting me know that. It would drive me nuts having it hang off of my mod. I think that the rose is going to be the next one I get. I've ordered an aqua V2 (tobeco clone) and I'm looking forward to it. I want two tanks and the rose seems like it fits the bill for my requisites as well. They look good, is the deck made of ceramic like the old school attys that had a reservoir around the coil or is that a different material, like ceramic coated metal? How would the airflow be described?

15. CrazyCory564

Dec 31, 2014
    Yes I believe there is a ceramic cup insert for the build deck on the Rose

16. Anemephistus

Its not nessesarily that it has to be easy but that the design will inherently hold the wires without the lead screws pushing them out. I loop around the screws on the kayfun I just don't think I should have to. Several of these suggestions have better lead connection styles as far as I can tell. The deck size is a matter of higher ohm coils, a single 2.5 ohm coil is easy in 32 gauge twisted kanathal and it fits great, but on a dual coil to get my coils up that high I'm going to need a pair of 5 ohm coils. Those will be big if I want to use any other wire type, downright huge if I were to build them in 26 or 24 gauge. So the big deck adds more options.

17. roxynoodle

Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    The Rose has a SS base, but you can insert the ceramic cup. Its optional, but IMO provides phenominal flavor and a warmer vape.

If you like the Rose, also consider the Eviva-t from Atmistique. I have 3 Roses and one Eviva.

18. ignotus

Nov 26, 2014
    Texas
    I wasn't necessarily recommending it, just citing it as an example of a more flavorful tank than the Kayfun.

Indeed, I don't recommend the Rose to anyone for whom rebuilding is a necessary evil rather than a hobby.

19. ignotus

Nov 26, 2014
    Texas
    Any system wherein the juice must travel uphill to reach the coil is at an inherent disadvantage compared to one in which the coil and wick are perfectly horizontal as they are in the Rose. Furthermore, before the juice even touches the wick in a Kayfun, it must first be sucked up into the inner chamber via negative pressure, while in the Rose the wick is constantly exposed to the juice in the tank itself. Finally, a key feature of the Rose is juice control, whereas the Kayfun* has none.

Flavor aside, the Rose has two major practical advantages over the Kayfun: it can support higher wattages for identical builds and can go much longer before needing to be rewicked, both of which are attributable to its superior feed system.

*pre-v4

20. ignotus

Nov 26, 2014
    Texas
    The Rose comes with optional ceramic cups which I never use. The airflow is about 50% more open than the KFL+, but still tight.

As was pointed out, the build is challenging. The upshot is that once its running the Rose requires very little maintenance. I used to rewick my Kayfuns every day; with the Rose I do it every week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.