Ohms + High Wattage = Wicking Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
After reading threads I was under the impression higher ohms tend to handle higher wattage/voltage use better than LR. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. no, seriously I'm really not sure if that's right at this point.

Reason for my uncertainty is I like to run 10.8 - 11 watts, so under the thinking higher resistance will hold up better, I ordered 3ohm smoktechs. (Sidenote: I plan on trying boges, didn't know 2 ohms is LR) Anywho these cartos are dropping faster than ever. Even though I always order three hole cartos for all my tanks, I think it may have something to do with wicking.

I never get a burnt taste, but I know higher voltage/wattage tend to use more juice so I alway take a primer puff. However, I put in a fresh carto last night used it moderately over a few hours, and this morning first hit it's muted and a little off. Took off the drip tip and noticed where you see the wire, around it is a little brown not from juice though. I usually use 70/30 but am using 50/50 in this case. So can anyone see any red flags I can fix to get rid of this issue?

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
You can vape at 11 watts with a 2 ohm carto at 4.7v and stay within the current limits of most any mod. If you use a 3 ohm carto you will have to vape in the 5.7v range.

2 ohm cartos tend to gunk up quick at high voltages. You'd be better off with a more sophisticated atomizer at 11 watts. Try an Aspire Nautilus or one of the RBA atomizers where you can replace the coil or wind your own. That's just my experience.

Brown around the coil and wires in a carto is normal after you vape it for a while. It's the juice cooking. You can wash those, but most just toss and replace.

txcolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Plano, TX

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
For now I've lowered wattage because I only have 3 ohm cartos, will be trying out LR Boges when they come in a couple days. Would using dual coil cartomizers make any difference? I tried to research this a bit, but I started having flashbacks to anxiety I felt taking an algebra test. So no offense taken if you can break this down like I'm a total simpleton :laugh:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I use this chart, works good for me. I also think your watts is a little (lot) high.

voltagechart-lg.jpg

Vape On
Burnie
:vapor:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The charts are good and they tell you exactly where you'll be with various combinations of resistance and voltage.

For a rule of thumb method, add 1.5v to your atomizer resistance for a starting point and progress upwards from there. For a 2 ohm coil, try 3.5. A 3 ohm coil, 4.5v. Up or down a little from there puts you in the sweet spot for your hardware. All of that will vary slightly for a carto, a tank, or other hardware. It's really all subjective.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
After reading threads I was under the impression higher ohms tend to handle higher wattage/voltage use better than LR. Please correct me if I'm wrong.. no, seriously I'm really not sure if that's right at this point.

Reason for my uncertainty is I like to run 10.8 - 11 watts, so under the thinking higher resistance will hold up better, I ordered 3ohm smoktechs. (Sidenote: I plan on trying boges, didn't know 2 ohms is LR) Anywho these cartos are dropping faster than ever. Even though I always order three hole cartos for all my tanks, I think it may have something to do with wicking.

I never get a burnt taste, but I know higher voltage/wattage tend to use more juice so I alway take a primer puff. However, I put in a fresh carto last night used it moderately over a few hours, and this morning first hit it's muted and a little off. Took off the drip tip and noticed where you see the wire, around it is a little brown not from juice though. I usually use 70/30 but am using 50/50 in this case. So can anyone see any red flags I can fix to get rid of this issue?

You vape one coil at a certain voltage; that works out the be a certain wattage.
You use a higher ohm coil, then you will need a higher voltage to get it up to temperature, and it works out to be approx the SAME WATTAGE.

====
If you use the same ohms, but with a dual coil instead of single coil, then you end up needing higher wattage.
(That's because a 2 ohm dual coil is actually two 4 ohm coils.)

Sally_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
VA
If you use the same ohms, but with a dual coil instead of single coil, then you end up needing higher wattage.
(That's because a 2 ohm dual coil is actually two 4 ohm coils.)

Okay, I wanted to get confirmation on that. As I said I did do some research, sites that had guides/info the verbal explanations they gave before getting into the formulas (at which point I must admit I got lost) seemed to suggest that. I wasn't sure due to the fact good old google pulled up a UK forum thread, I checked it out hopeful I'd get an answer in layman's terms, but they seemed to say whether single coil or double didn't make a difference. :?:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Okay, I wanted to get confirmation on that. As I said I did do some research, sites that had guides/info the verbal explanations they gave before getting into the formulas (at which point I must admit I got lost) seemed to suggest that. I wasn't sure due to the fact good old google pulled up a UK forum thread, I checked it out hopeful I'd get an answer in layman's terms, but they seemed to say whether single coil or double didn't make a difference. :?:

If you put 4 volts on a 2 ohm single coil, you will burn 8 watts, (and the current will be 2 amps.)

If you put 4 volts on a 2 ohm dual coil consisting of 2 four ohm coils in parallel, you will burn 8 watts, and the current will be 2 amps as above.
However, now each coil is burning 4 watts, and passing only 1 amp; If you want those 4 ohm coils to get up to the same temperature of the 2 ohm coil, you want them to run more like the same 2 amps. To get 2 amps on a 4 ohm coil, you will need 8 volts;
So you end up needing to use more like 8 volts and 16 watts, on the dual coil.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If you vape a dual coil with the same equivalent resistance as a single coil, you are vaping at the same wattage for any given voltage. We can crank the voltage on dual coils to get more vapor without the burnt flavor because the two coils together are contacting double the juice at half the wattage of a single coil. That lets you boost the voltage and maintain the quality of the vape. The graphic at the bottom of the page at this link explains this.

Undestanding resistances, LR and HV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread