Ohms Law Calculator - Offline Application for Windows/Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar10

Sep 14, 2012
AZ, USA
If this is against the rules, if a mod could let me know I would appreciate it!

Hello ECF users!

I know many sites exist which are specific to building coils, and determining target ohm ranges etc... but I wanted to create my own application that would work if you did not have internet.

About me:
I live in an apartment complex that often has internet issues. So since I started building my own coils, I decided to create an offline Ohms Law calculator in Java. It is a very small program that took me just a short days work to create. I am a college student learning programming and thought it would be fun to practice and make applications that may be useful to others.

Potential Phone app Logo:

OhmsLawLarge.jpg
Screenshot:
[v1]Screenshot.jpg

What is it?

-It's a very simple applet that will work on Windows or Mac, because it is a .jar file.
-Calculates Volts, Amps, Ohms, Power using two known variables to figure out the unknown.

Why is this different from other tools already available online?
-Mainly, it will work if you don't have an internet connection.
-With your feedback, we can turn this into something more unique and even more useful

If anyone is looking at this saying "Oh, well I already use x program or x website to figure that out, I don't need this!" please at least consider helping me out, If you could download it and post any bugs or suggestions you may have as well as what type of operating system you are running, I would greatly appreciate the feedback!

If there are features you want, again, please let me know. If there is enough interest, I will turn this into a larger application that could potentially house features like... DIY Juice calculations, Coil wrapping targets, battery drain statistical analysis/calculations, etc.

I am also considering making this work on Androids/iPhones(iOS devices) in the future. Since it will not rely on web servers, it would work even if you had no internet connection.

Download: -Includes screenshot and other information-
Ohms Law Calculator | martinkuna

Thank you to all here on ECF, the information posted here has helped me greatly moving over to electronic cigarettes about a year ago from those stinky analogs!

Attachments

• AboutV1.jpg
    AboutV1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 87

mar10

Sep 14, 2012
AZ, USA
Ah I see, Considering it is just a java applet, I don't think it could do as much harm as an EXE, that and the fact that I have no idea how to do anything malicious helps haha. What app are you referring to for the iPhone?

If you are really worried I can post the source code and you can scan it up and down! You could also run it in a program such as SandBoxie, which is basically a virtual machine that 'sand boxes' the applet, so that it cannot touch the rest of your computer, obviously this would be annoying to do every time you would like to run it, but I mention it because SandBoxie tells you if a program attempts to do ANYTHING to your computer, and asks you if it should be allowed or not.

As far as the actual program; It is one main method that takes the input from the boxes and applies the correct algorithms to calculate the other values, then pushes those values to the right text input box. Clear button simply clears the values. About button shows an image I made in photoshop and if you click on it, it takes you to my website!

Another note, this website is my name, and is going to be used as a portfolio showing my work in college. I am certainly not going to post anything on there with the intent to harm anyone, and with all that ECF has provided me I want to give back in any way I can. I understand you being cautious though, I am the same way.

If there is a moderator with heavy knowledge in computers, I would appreciate it if you could scan my applet and approve it as safe. That would be awesome if it is possible!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread