oilextech 6 Minute extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

montara

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
Nor-Cal
Anyone seen this? Looks too easy, thoughts?

Extract your own essential oil distillation equipment 6 minutes

How does it work?
The EssenEx uses an ice core you freeze with a special mold in your freezer to condense the vapors produced when the plant material is place in the microwave. It is also specially designed to protect the condensate from overheating, protecting the overall quality of your oil.
Microwave extraction is similar to steam distillation in the fact that they both use steam to extract the essential oils. The difference is the EssenEx utilizes the water in the plant material to create the steam instead of adding additional steam created from a fuel or electric boiler.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I've seen it. Looks interesting, but a bit pricey. Seems to get a decent yield, based upon their youtube videos, and much faster than normal steam distillation. They claim a better quality oil due to the design using microwaves.

I decided to go with kitchenware that I already had, though. A tall, stainless steel pot, glass lid (with glass knob as handle,) a small glass bowl, and something to hold the bowl above the tobacco and water in the bottom of the pot. The lid goes on upside-down, and I put ice in it, to act as the condenser. Works fairly well, but takes a lot longer, and requires more water to keep from burning the tobacco.

The result should be used sparingly, IMO, as it's generally inadvisable to vape oils. I would assume that, if diluted enough, it would be a much cleaner vape than most tobacco soak extractions, which probably also pull out oils, but have far more other plant material in them.

Reactions: Volcarock

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
This is the same concept as a co2 supercritical setup uses except that setup uses co2 gas instead of water. There are well known vendors that use a supercritical system, or at least reported to use them, and nobody says anything about them using the essential oils to make liquids with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
This is the same concept as a co2 supercritical setup uses except that setup uses co2 gas instead of water. There are well known vendors that use a supercritical system, or at least reported to use them, and nobody says anything about them using the essential oils to make liquids with.

I'm guessing that you're taking issue with my comment about oils being generally inadvisable to vape. Perhaps I should go into more detail about why I included that. It's a debatable subject, so I don't make any definitive statements about it. Note that nicotine is an oily liquid, though it's miscible with water. Not all oils are the same, obviously. Some here recommend staying away from certain oils. A google search about vaping oils can turn up some of those conversations.

There have been a couple of (questionable) reports of oil-based flavorings causing harm to vapers, though quite a few people here have been vaping them with no apparent problems. There have been many discussions about the matter, with no clear conclusions that I'm aware of.

However, I did recommend using them sparingly. As you may have guessed from my previous post, I've extracted the oils from tobacco, and vaped them, diluted to various degrees. I did find them to be somewhat unpleasant to my lungs, unless diluted to a fair degree. The flavor was still good, though. Still, I'd recommend it over a typical tobacco soak, as those are quite dirty to vape, IMO. I simply recommend finding how little will give acceptable flavor, and using that. Over-flavoring is a fairly common issue, on it's own.

I'll add that supercritical CO2 extraction is capable of more selective extraction than a simple steam distillation setup, so I don't think that they are very comparable, other than at a very basic level.

Reactions: Volcarock

gotalotgoingon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Nebraska/Dutch Harbor, AK
No, my post wasn't aimed at you, it was just a general statement. From my understanding, co2 extract is extracting the essences from a particular source when it comes to flavoring. I know there was talk about vaping cinnamon oils and I am not sure of the differences between that and essences but I do know that while some essences are not water soluble, that doesn't mean that they aren't soluble in pg or vg. Again, whether they are or not, I don't know. I am sure all of us have vaped some kind of flavor that is oil based in a liquid before without knowledge so I guess it comes down to the science if the oils are soluble or not in eliquid form. But then again, with a soak, plant matter gets extracted as well and we aren't sure how much or if it is harmful either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread