Ok All You Original Maker Type People... Knock It Off...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Sell your stuff for a fair price, will ya?

You don't need to make a million percent profit!!!

I respect the originals, but it's getting so ridiculous to the point of being unaffordable for most people.

No wonder the clones are taking over the market.

I just bought an hcigar Aqua, and it works so good I went right out and bought another one, and I can still buy 2 more to equal the price of one original.

You could sell your originals for half the price and still make a good profit.

So... knock it off!!!

Ok, I feel better now...:)

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
As long as people are willing to pay the asking price for a product whether it's worth it or not they will continue to sell at ridiculous prices . You seem happy with the clones , i say stick with them , lots and lots of people are perfectly happy with them including myself.

If you think people will see you in a different way because you can afford originals i say they aren't worth your time .

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
tumblr_m7s6mdeGXH1rxwsyro1_1280.gif

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Sell your stuff for a fair price, will ya?

You don't need to make a million percent profit!!!

I respect the originals, but it's getting so ridiculous to the point of being unaffordable for most people.

No wonder the clones are taking over the market.

I just bought an hcigar Aqua, and it works so good I went right out and bought another one, and I can still buy 2 more to equal the price of one original.

You could sell your originals for half the price and still make a good profit.

So... knock it off!!!

Ok, I feel better now...:)

Is there anything accurate in your post? The original manufacturers don't make a million percent profit. Also, since most vapers are ex-smokers, they can certainly afford originals since smoking costs a lot more. They just chose not to spend their money that way. Even if the originals sold for half price, I doubt most people who buy clones would buy originals since by your own account, even at half price you could get 2 clones (at least of your Aqua) for the same price so what would be the incentive for you to buy the original? With the clone you'd still have more money in your pocket so the argument is invalid.

If you think people will see you in a different way because you can afford originals i say they aren't worth your time .

People who buy originals don't buy them for some sort of status symbol (at their essence, aren't status symbols a pathetic attempt to validate the purchasers own ego? And isn't being envious of a status symbol pathetic in reverse?), they buy them because they value the creative talent and the resourcefulness of time, energy, expense and determination it takes to create a unique product in a growing industry. Most people don't value it, they value the thing, not what it took to create it which is why clones prosper (It's also why for every song purchased, another 2 are pirated) Clone makers can clearly make some very good products but they do so without the design, development or creativity costs. Ultimately, that's sad because instead of making a name for themselves, they benefit off the work of others. Instead of expanding the industry, they just tag along and use others work. There should be a solid field of high quality low priced mods out there instead of clones but people want what they want, they just don't want to pay for it. People earn their own money and should spend it as they choose but don't make up silly excuses for why you spend what you spend.

The reality is these are silly arguments. People aren't going to convince others how to spend their money. People value what they value.

Last edited:

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Is there anything accurate in your post? The original manufacturers don't make a million percent profit. Also, since most vapers are ex-smokers, they can certainly afford originals since smoking costs a lot more. They just chose not to spend their money that way. Even if the originals sold for half price, I doubt most people who buy clones would buy originals since by your own account, even at half price you could get 2 clones (at least of your Aqua) for the same price so what would be the incentive for you to buy the original? With the clone you'd still have more money in your pocket so the argument is invalid.

People who buy originals don't buy them for some sort of status symbol (at their essence, aren't status symbols a pathetic attempt to validate the purchasers own ego? And isn't being envious of a status symbol pathetic in reverse?), they buy them because they value the creative talent and the resourcefulness of time, energy, expense and determination it takes to create a unique product in a growing industry. Most people don't value it, they value the thing, not what it took to create it which is why clones prosper (It's also why for every song purchased, another 2 are pirated) Clone makers can clearly make some very good products but they do so without the design, development or creativity costs. Ultimately, that's sad because instead of making a name for themselves, they benefit off the work of others. Instead of expanding the industry, they just tag along and use others work. There should be a solid field of high quality low priced mods out there instead of clones but people want what they want, they just don't want to pay for it. People earn their own money and should spend it as they choose but don't make up silly excuses for why you spend what you spend.

The reality is these are silly arguments. People aren't going to convince others how to spend their money. People value what they value.

Relax man, its just a rant, and if a real Aqua was a hudred bucks I would buy one. I have an original Kayfun lite plus, and my HCigar Aqua clones are performing better so far.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Here is my take as someone who has been in many manufactures, sell them and repair some of their equipment and has relations with a lot of people in charge of their continuous amelioration budgets and maintenance department:

I seriously doubt the makers of originals make much more profit percentage than makers of clones. Someone has to do some research and testing to bring us the next generation products and that costs a LOT of money. If you had any idea how much it actually costs to start a company from scratch, re-invest in more or better machinery, machinery maintenance, floor space, employees (would you work for 5$ an hour in a vaping manufacturing shop?) I doubt they would be able to keep bringing in new products if they sold their mods for 30 to 60$. I suspect that those who make clones also have other products going through. They're certainly not research oriented, are probably larger already established facilities with many other products going through or just find ways to cut on costs through many ways other than just material costs.

You should be grateful that you can buy clones so easily because PV/topper/battery combinations are almost 100% compatible; this is not a reality in most other markets and if you want to change something, you often have to start from scratch and buy an entire new system.

:2c:

slyphex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
USA
In the automobile world you can buy a BMW or a Kia or anything in between.

In the vaping world you can buy a BMW or you can buy a Kia with BMW logos on it.

I think this is the real issue people have with clones.

It's unreasonable to tell someone they have to keep smoking because they can't afford a $200 mod, when the only other option they have is a clone.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
In the automobile world you can buy a BMW or a Kia or anything in between.

In the vaping world you can buy a BMW or you can buy a Kia with BMW logos on it.

I think this is the real issue people have with clones.

It's unreasonable to tell someone they have to keep smoking because they can't afford a $200 mod, when the only other option they have is a clone.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Here is the thing, some BMW parts are actually made by Ford. Some "American made" Ford parts are actually made in Mexico. Do any of these high end parts that are actually made for pennies on the dollar perform any less? Nope!

Some of those same parts are later re branded and sold to lesser profile manufacturers like Kia or Hyundai.

The problem here with clones is industry, or better yet the lack there of. We keep out sourcing everything, heck even lollipop sticks are now imported directly from China. We spend a fortune to make a simple tube because of the lack of industry and the "American way" of penny pinching a few cents and outsourcing all our industry. So unless we can order 10,000 - 50,000 units we're actually paying a premium and the mod maker gets stuck with the bill or has to buy cnc machines.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
I'm not sure anyone really read the OPs post. I'm pretty sure his rant wasn't about clones but about people reselling originals for like $700, $1500, etc. I know I'm not buying any mod for those prices. They might look nice but if my choice is a $700 caravela & a $?? caravela clone & I really want that particular mod you can be sure I won't be paying $700 bucks for it.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I'll sidestep the usual arguments...

How about other kinds of products? Made in China for cheap, sold as "well regarded" brands. Costs a small fortune. I'm looking at you, sports gear, most hobby stuff... heck... maybe the worst... "fashion". Virtually anything. Those people have real profits. Yet we complain about specialty items desired by (relatively speaking) just a handful of people at the core of a niche interest?

I choose not to focus my dislike for the hunt for profit onto a handful of people passionate about making ever better niche vaping gear. Of course there are "me too" manufacturers who just want to sell some random stuff for $200+. But, there's also those who do this as an attempt of making their hobby into a livelihood. Either way, I'm free to spend my money where I like. Some times I feel a bit ripped off. Some times I feel I got my hands on something great. Just like with everything else.

wonkeypickle

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
'murrikka
lol@ op.

try this. quit your job. spend every waking hour you have designing a tiny component for an "e cig", something the general public views as a dangerous trend at best. once you're poor and have something mildly original designed, you try and sell it and see how much "profit" you've made.

i'll be right here, vaping away.

Feraloxide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2014
Buffalo, NY, USA
lol@ op.

try this. quit your job. spend every waking hour you have designing a tiny component for an "e cig", something the general public views as a dangerous trend at best. once you're poor and have something mildly original designed, you try and sell it and see how much "profit" you've made.

I never understood the whole "I bet you can't make something better!" argument. Just because someone doesn't do it themselves doesn't mean they can't claim it's stupid or terrible.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
lol@ op.

You can't blame the OP for saying a tube with a switch and a 510 connection shouldn't be priced that high. Truth is it really shouldn't. From a consumer standpoint it is a hard sell for anyone other than a collector.

wonkeypickle

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
'murrikka
I never understood the whole "I bet you can't make something better!" argument. Just because someone doesn't do it themselves doesn't mean they can't claim it's stupid or terrible.

nice try. yet no one said "make something better". no one said anything about something being better than another. please go attempt to start your clone vs auth arguement somewhere else, preferably new members forum. thanks.

wonkeypickle

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
'murrikka
You can't blame the OP for saying a tube with a switch and a 510 connection shouldn't be priced that high. Truth is it really shouldn't. From a consumer standpoint it is a hard sell for anyone other than a collector.

actually yes i can. Once you have created something original, you can price it however you want. EM mods bt5 mod selling out in minutes is proof of that enough.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
actually yes i can. Once you have created something original, you can price it however you want. EM mods bt5 mod selling out in minutes is proof of that enough.

I know of alot of people who make very good orginal things, doesn't help when they try to sell them in a limited market and they sit on shelves for months. The very high end limited units sell out in minutes because they only make 100-1000 units (at MOST), they can then call them limited editions and charge a markup for that. Trust me if the bt5 was being cranked out in high volume numbers like a Provari or an eGo Twist they'd be out of business.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread