Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I don't understand how all these medical places expect someone who is computer illiterate to do it. I half way know the different properties and I had a hell of a time with changing user names and new passwords was about to throw something but eventually get it.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Nice to hear this is getting started in a positive way. Hey, get another remote. Janet sits on one end of the couch with her remote and I sit at the other end w/ my remote. Too lazy to pass one back and forth, so we have two. :rolleyes:
Same here!

Well we also had the cats change the channel when the jump onto the end table to get in our lap. We've looked at each other and said ... did you change the channel. Nope, must have been the cat.
ours do that too.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well here today. Yesterday was last day of Chemo for a while. It was not a good day for her. This morning she feels better. She got a nap when we got home, she was really rundown yesterday, This morning she said so far she feels ok. Decided on getting the palliative care. A nurse comes Monday to get us all signed up, since it is 100% covered I figured any help would be good. Furniture is done got a new Roku for downstairs main tv and moving the older one upstairs. And a few other things to do.She has to go in next week for a port flush and labs but she is handling this well. Now we can sort of get back on the schedule we were on. The last few days we were so far off of our schedule and found out how set in our ways we really are. Kerrie my daughter has been so much help. She has only had 2 cigs the day she got here and I set her up with a Pico and a nautilus and she has just been using that for a week. I think we will be glad to be by ourselves again for a while. Gdaughter is coming July 17th for a week and they are putting in for a transfer which the docs both wrote good letters for. Kerrie and our other daughter Shannon plan on coming in a couple weeks and getting the house re cleaned and do laundry and stuff. So all in all things are going well. That's about it for now.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Computer Geeks/Recommendations: Since I retired years ago from the tech industry, I gave up being a techie and am quite out of date on computer knowledge. A good friend (a complete techie noob) has used his computer at work for all his personal email and other needs. (A liberal work environment). He's retiring in a couple weeks and asked me last night about getting a computer for home use. (email, web surfing, & some word processing). He'd like to get it at Best Buy so he has a walk in place for help if needed.

His last home computer was a tower that died years ago. I recommended a laptop for various reasons and he liked the idea. So I looked at Best Buy this morning for something w/ at least 8 gig of memory, a 500 gig hard drive, a screen bigger than 14 inches, and under $500. I found this one (touch screen not a requirement, but this one has it):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-...p-finish-in-jet-black/6181603.p?skuId=6181603

Any comments (negative or positive) on 'it' or suggestions for something else (even if not from Best Buy) would be appreciated.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Computer Geeks/Recommendations: Since I retired years ago from the tech industry, I gave up being a techie and am quite out of date on computer knowledge. A good friend (a complete techie noob) has used his computer at work for all his personal email and other needs. (A liberal work environment). He's retiring in a couple weeks and asked me last night about getting a computer for home use. (email, web surfing, & some word processing). He'd like to get it at Best Buy so he has a walk in place for help if needed.

His last home computer was a tower that died years ago. I recommended a laptop for various reasons and he liked the idea. So I looked at Best Buy this morning for something w/ at least 8 gig of memory, a 500 gig hard drive, a screen bigger than 14 inches, and under $500. I found this one (touch screen not a requirement, but this one has it):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-...p-finish-in-jet-black/6181603.p?skuId=6181603

Any comments (negative or positive) on 'it' or suggestions for something else (even if not from Best Buy) would be appreciated.
Well the only thing I can say @MikeE3 I got this one when my old HP gave up and I have loved it. Works excellent for what I needed. No touch screen but runs silently and just been a great one. GaryOa recommended it and like I say it has been excellent.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...hard-drive-onyx-black/6224501.p?skuId=6224501
IDK but I think I may have had it over a year now. If I ever got another I would get a Mac if I could afford it. Just my feeling. I really like the iOS for the way it works but they are expensive.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
While a tad more, imo this would be a better choice from what BB has on site atm:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...ard-drive-solid-black/5712021.p?skuId=5712021

Faster processor, bigger HD, better graphics. Same size touch screen. Yes, nearly $100 more, but the extra horsepower may be worth it. Future-proofing :)

Well the only thing I can say @MikeE3 I got this one when my old HP gave up and I have loved it. Works excellent for what I needed. No touch screen but runs silently and just been a great one. GaryOa recommended it and like I say it has been excellent.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...hard-drive-onyx-black/6224501.p?skuId=6224501
IDK but I think I may have had it over a year now. If I ever got another I would get a Mac if I could afford it. Just my feeling. I really like the iOS for the way it works but they are expensive.

Thanks David ... I didn't even know Samsung made laptops. I suppose based on their Android phones it's of decent/good quality, etc.

Pat ... I've heard the Lenova name and seem to recall it has a decent reputation too.

I agree with David, spend a little more now and protect your investment going into the future. Personally I like both of them better then the one I posted. The Samsung might be the 'buy' sole based on pricing as it's on clearance and was selling at a higher price (per the advert anyway.

Do you guys think it's a flip of the coin between them?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Tough call...

the Lenovo has a bigger screen, but less of a GPU to feed it, and uses shared memory, so eats up some of the system RAM. The Samsung has better GPU and dedicated RAM for it. Depending on the user's needs, that may or may not be a concern. (I like dedicated memory, and the better GPU, but that's what I need for what I do.)

And the Lenovo has no web cam, if that's a concern :)

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Nice to hear this is getting started in a positive way. Hey, get another remote. Janet sits on one end of the couch with her remote and I sit at the other end w/ my remote. Too lazy to pass one back and forth, so we have two. :rolleyes:

It's also convenient to have more than one for the times when one of them goes missing. Our couch tries to eat them regularly.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well I thought I would give you guys an update. Ginny has been through 2 days of Chemo and so far she is handling it like a trooper. She hasn't felt bad at all. She has such a positive attitude. She says she has enough people praying for her and she has faith. She is taking this a lot better then me. She is even making dinner tonight. I think the worst thing so far is letting me do the driving which is understandable because I have problems getting my feet on the right pedal. She could drive but i'm trying to get used to it. We have the house pretty well straightened out. The bed is up but we still have to move some stuff. We have always sat closer to each other and shared a table between us and that's what is going to have to happen again. So another furniture move. We need to share a table. Sometimes she wants the remote sometimes I do and this isn't working out. My daughter moved it while we were at Chemo and we knew which way it was going but we don't like it now. so she is going to move it again tomorrow. She has no need for the bed down here right now. It's weird it's like she has more energy on the Chemo but her lung hurts where the mass is. They said it was probably the medicine working on that spot.
Glad she's handling it so well, Legs! Ginny is a real trooper. She's got this!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well here today. Yesterday was last day of Chemo for a while. It was not a good day for her. This morning she feels better. She got a nap when we got home, she was really rundown yesterday, This morning she said so far she feels ok. Decided on getting the palliative care. A nurse comes Monday to get us all signed up, since it is 100% covered I figured any help would be good. Furniture is done got a new Roku for downstairs main tv and moving the older one upstairs. And a few other things to do.She has to go in next week for a port flush and labs but she is handling this well. Now we can sort of get back on the schedule we were on. The last few days we were so far off of our schedule and found out how set in our ways we really are. Kerrie my daughter has been so much help. She has only had 2 cigs the day she got here and I set her up with a Pico and a Nautilus and she has just been using that for a week. I think we will be glad to be by ourselves again for a while. Gdaughter is coming July 17th for a week and they are putting in for a transfer which the docs both wrote good letters for. Kerrie and our other daughter Shannon plan on coming in a couple weeks and getting the house re cleaned and do laundry and stuff. So all in all things are going well. That's about it for now.
It's so great that your family is doing so much to help. It's good to have the help & have them around, but I know it's good to have your time as a couple, too.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
The i3 is really old tech now. He'll run into slow loading. Mine is an i7 h is 6 years old if that gives you an idea about the tech age of that i3. The one David shows is better.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Tough call...

the Lenovo has a bigger screen, but less of a GPU to feed it, and uses shared memory, so eats up some of the system RAM. The Samsung has better GPU and dedicated RAM for it. Depending on the user's needs, that may or may not be a concern. (I like dedicated memory, and the better GPU, but that's what I need for what I do.)

And the Lenovo has no web cam, if that's a concern :)

Oh ... I missed the no Web cam on the Lenova and but it does have an optical drive where as the Samsung doesn't. He's not going to know the difference between the techie spec's of the GPU/Memory, low end user he is (he doesn't even use a computer nights and weekends and a cell phone is still foreign to him)

Personally I like the bigger screen of the Lenova and he's not a gamer or power user, so likely won't missed the 'edge' the Samsung may have re: the GPU/memory.

But then I just went back to the best buy site and in the Q&A about the Lenova someone asked if it had a webcam and the answer was yes. I also found a review of it where it says: "...Lenovo 81DM001UUS comes with 0.3 megapixel VGA webcam...". And that's the model number on the best buy site. Who knows ... which is right

oh wait, @2legsshrt ... does your Lenova have a webcam?

The i3 is really old tech now. He'll run into slow loading. Mine is an i7 h is 6 years old if that gives you an idea about the tech age of that i3. The one David shows is better.

We scratched the i3 HP from consideration. Thanks for pointing that out though.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Went back and drilled down a bit further, and yes, the Lenovo does say it has a web cam (way down in the Specs tab).

You did say he wanted a BB source, for walk-in tech support. Maybe just take him there and look at both?

Exactly ... that's what I told him to do. Look at both in-person, talk w/ the sales tech. Basically I see it as the Samsung is more state of the art (touch screen, etc) and the Lenova has a bigger screen. For his use I'm pretty confident either would be fine. But seeing and touching 'em might help make the decision for him. I don't want to tell him which one to buy, just trying to help him navigate the many choices out there.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Oh ... I missed the no Web cam on the Lenova and but it does have an optical drive where as the Samsung doesn't. He's not going to know the difference between the techie spec's of the GPU/Memory, low end user he is (he doesn't even use a computer nights and weekends and a cell phone is still foreign to him)

Personally I like the bigger screen of the Lenova and he's not a gamer or power user, so likely won't missed the 'edge' the Samsung may have re: the GPU/memory.

But then I just went back to the best buy site and in the Q&A about the Lenova someone asked if it had a webcam and the answer was yes. I also found a review of it where it says: "...Lenovo 81DM001UUS comes with 0.3 megapixel VGA webcam...". And that's the model number on the best buy site. Who knows ... which is right

oh wait, @2legsshrt ... does your Lenova have a webcam?

We scratched the i3 HP from consideration. Thanks for pointing that out though.
Mine has a web cam, it's nothing to write home about but it is there. After my HP I couldn't get over how quiet and cool it runs. At the time it had the most features with the 17.3" screen of any. I was more looking at the screen size since I use it like a desktop most of the time. I don't really do any word processing tho. I mainly use it for the internet and email. After my HP which sounded like a Maytag with Win 10. never did run right after the upgrade, getting one that is made around Win 10 makes the OS work like a charm. But like I say after having an iPhone I really like iOS and would be nice to have one that worked well with my Hearing Aids and Phone. If I was a computer techy I'd be looking at something with a little more power. But Apple doesn't sell anything cheap even the Apple refurbished products are at least $1000.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
This is Ginny's 3rd day after her 3 day Chemo bout. She has been tired all the time, and kind of crabby, she feels sick when she stands but hasn't thrown up once, probably because of our stomachs, she can't. Her mouth is really sensitive and food doesn't taste the same. She has to pee about every hour so that makes her mad she just gets comfortable and has to go again. Bones are aching, had to turn her O2 up to 2.5 litres because it was still getting below 90. Port is nearly healed up. Has to go in this week to have it flushed and lab drawn. Sickness pills seem to work and they gave her Ativan which she does like because the make her feel better, and get this, only gave her 10 because they are addictive. I thought what the hell she is dying from a terminal disease and they are worried about that. Gimme a break!! Doesn't have to worry about what time she takes her pain meds cause she just sets a timer with Alexa.

On another note we converted my daughter to vaping. gave her a Pico and full size Nautilus and shes been without cigs for 10 days and not having any problems even being around other smokers. She's using 12mg. Gave her 5 new AW button top batteries and links to where I get ready made juice and batteries and chargers. She will be back on the 7th before Ginny starts her next 3 day marathon.

I think I am going to do away with Dish and go with HULU with live tv. $40 a month plus $15 for HBO. About the same as I am paying for 10 channels on dish and have 50 channels of some of the best. I didn't like the way they do the schedule but with the Roku having a voice activated remote can just use a tv guide and tell it to find the show we want. Cloud DVR 50 hrs or $10 more for 200 hours.

My daughter is going to buy our Ford, I gave her a really good deal. Now for the motorhome and Honda. No need for them anymore. I hate selling to family but that's what I wanted was a quick sale. Going to pay off all CC's so it will leave us some breathing room.

We are hoping and praying this Chemo gives her more time. He said if he could possibly get it into remission she could have 1 year and possibly 2 on the outside. He was careful to tell us there is no cure for this type of Cancer. It is the type caused directly by smoking. She is a trooper.

Thank You guys for all the support and well wishers. This is her 3rd day off of the Chemo and they haven't been great at all for her. I'm trying to keep her comfortable. The nurse comes tomorrow to start the Palliative Care which I think will be very helpful for both of us.. I'm glad I stuck to the supplement I did which was not cheap $202 a month each but covers everything Medicare doesn't, so everything is covered 100%. Talked to BIL and he said the bills for his wife who died from Cancer was over $250K, but Medicare and his supplement covered all but $6K but not as good as the one I got. She started with Breast and wouldn't let them remove them and it metastasized to the brain. Another BIL whose wife he lost to intestinal, had no insurance, got really mad at the doctors because in his words they killed her because they wouldn't treat her anymore. He blames everything on them and want Ginny to go on something called the Potion a mixture of vinegar, honey, garlic and a couple other things and thinks it is a magic cure, but the ##### doctors are now coming after her estate for bills. He is very bitter. It wasn't that he couldn't afford insurance but like one of the other Family members said he was too cheap to get it. They were young and didn't need it. Couldn't qualify for any help, they lived in about a $400K house and he is the head of his own construction company which I am sure he makes upward of $150K a year. Another SIL who beat Stage 4 breast Cancer has been helping with advice. Hers has showed back up in her upper back and they are fighting it with a hormone treatment which actually seems to be working.

We have so much to learn about for me how to care for her properly. Lots of stuff of handling a Chemo patient. I am going to have to learn how to cook some of the foods they recommend because of the sensitivity of her mouth and the need to get protein in. I don't want her to get any infections which is hard to avoid with this since it puts her immune system in the toilet. And one other thing that has plagued her, constipation for 6 days, finally yesterday problem solved.

Smoking SUCKS and what is the gov't worried about, Opioids. Insanity

Pat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread