The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by MikeE3, Jul 23, 2016.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. clnire

clnire Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    Florida
    I have several mechs in the stash (including a couple REOs), but I have quite a few regulated mods (and backups for my backups) I really like, they are stashed. Just in case...... :shock:

• Like Like x 9
  2. bigbells

bigbells Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Haven't I told you a million times not to exaggerate? I'll bet you can get at least 3 hits before you have to change batteries.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. Semiretired

Semiretired Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    So, kind of sounds like mechs except in rare cases have kind of been set aside for stash purposes instead of main stream vaping tools...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Semiretired

Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    With my battery charging I have gotten to where I just vape about 12 hours on a batt and then change it. When I pop them in the charger they are usually reading 3.8 something. Just quite using them until the light came on...

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    At least for us lazy old frats :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. LyLyV

LyLyV Senior Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    That's better for your batteries anyway (according to Mooch) - Not to drain them completely nor max charge them over and over again. I always try to take mine out for charging before they're completely depleted. (Again - I wouldn't know this if it weren't for Mooch.)

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. LyLyV

LyLyV Senior Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Earth (most days)
    I'm askeered of mechs..... :shock:I'll stick to the experts who know what they're doing, TYVM

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. DancingHeretik

DancingHeretik Dancing in the Chaos Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    The only mechs I use regularly are REO's. But, I do pull out a mech or old-school non-regulated mod now and then just for fun.

Or, my favorite super-stealth combo, a 650 mah eGo with a Vapage Hybrid dripping atty.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    del

• Like Like x 3
  10. DancingHeretik

Supporting member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    The secret with the Provari is to turn it off when not in use for a while.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. MikeE3

MikeE3 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Hopefully turning it off will stop the battery drain ... I've not tested that. But I do know my P2.5's have drained the battery into the 2.x volt range when I've just left them turned on and forgotten about them for a couple month's. Apparently after the blinking light warning re: low battery comes on ... after a while the light stops blinking but the electronic's keep pulling 'volts' from the battery.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  12. DancingHeretik

Supporting member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I had no idea! That's serious.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    Mine never sit unused for that long, and I usually catch the flashing light immediately. Maybe I need to continue using until the vape stops.

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. MikeE3

MikeE3 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    Yep ... I'm in the habit now to just remove the batteries for my P's that are just sitting around and used occasionally.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. DavidOck

Supporting member
    Regulated mods, unless manually turned off, will all draw some power when not being used. The electronics need to be powered so they can respond to a button press.

Some draw more power in the off state than others, but it sounds like the 2.5 is on the higher end. Manuals may or may not list the "quiescent current", depends. If they do, the higher that is, the quicker the mod will discharge the battery just sitting.

Vaping the mod until low voltage cutoff isn't the best procedure for long battery service life. I just swap batteries when I refill the tank. Charge early and charge often :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Provari V2 was my first real mod after going through the Joye 510 and the eGo. I bought it on the one year anniversary of my first vape. That was the day that I decided to quit smoking altogether. The 510 and eGo took me from 2 PAD to a few cigs daily. The Provari allowed me to quit. It was just time to get rid of the last 6 cigs a day. I haven't smoked at all (or even been tempted) since April of 2011.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Debadoo

Debadoo ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    all day every day............my Reos are all I use and I love em. Just super simple.

Jup, mine are 3.8 something when the vape gets a bit weak, so that is typically when I change them. I rotate 6 batts, and finally just got some new ones a couple days ago. My others were almost 2 years old. Which I know for you means they are practically brand new ;)

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Debadoo

Debadoo ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    I was also skeered of mechs until I used a Reo. Built in safety feature with collapsible spring, and huge vent hole in the door. It's actually the squonk hole. If you get one that has the slots in body and/or door, that is even more venting available. I have one with a slotted door. I feel completely safe with my Reos, but I don't think I would ever use a tube mech. After 3 years of daily use, I did just drop a spring recently. Not sure why it happened, but it worked just as it was designed to do and collapsed, which drops the battery down so it can't keep firing. Now I just need to get a new spring for my p-67 so am using a Reo grand again til then.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Semiretired

Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    Yep, sure enough. Have about 6 that are still being used in my regular rotation that are over 6 years old now. A couple of years ago I asked when should batteries be retired. The consensus answer that I got was when they no longer held a charge long enough to justify using them. All of mine can still vape for a whole day if I choose so why trash them. But in a few more months I will not be using 6 yr old batts anymore - they will graduate to 7 yr old ones...

If you do the cycle calcs to how many batts you have in rotation (currently 9) and how many cycle charges they should provide - there is no reason batts at my usage level should not last 9 or maybe even 10 years. We will see.

At this point I retire them if they start doing anything unusual during usage or in charging. Shoot - two of them still have the original wraps on them.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. DavidOck

Supporting member
    Many of mine are nearly as old. Being a tootler I don't stress them. High power vapers may need to replace them more often, as they stress them more in use.

When they will no longer power through a full KF2, I do set them aside from vaping use. OK for flashlights :)

And as you say, if they do anything unusual in use or charging, time to retire them!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2