ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
With my battery charging I have gotten to where I just vape about 12 hours on a batt and then change it. When I pop them in the charger they are usually reading 3.8 something. Just quite using them until the light came on...
That's better for your batteries anyway (according to Mooch) - Not to drain them completely nor max charge them over and over again. I always try to take mine out for charging before they're completely depleted. (Again - I wouldn't know this if it weren't for Mooch.)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Just out of curiosity - Who still uses mechs? Anybody?
The only mechs I use regularly are REO's. But, I do pull out a mech or old-school non-regulated mod now and then just for fun.

Or, my favorite super-stealth combo, a 650 mah eGo with a Vapage Hybrid dripping atty.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I still use my nemmys because I have better things to spend my money on nowadays, and because I get the feeling that I am changing the batteries on my Provaris about every other hit.
The secret with the Provari is to turn it off when not in use for a while.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
The secret with the Provari is to turn it off when not in use for a while.

Hopefully turning it off will stop the battery drain ... I've not tested that. But I do know my P2.5's have drained the battery into the 2.x volt range when I've just left them turned on and forgotten about them for a couple month's. Apparently after the blinking light warning re: low battery comes on ... after a while the light stops blinking but the electronic's keep pulling 'volts' from the battery.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hopefully turning it off will stop the battery drain ... I've not tested that. But I do know my P2.5's have drained the battery into the 2.x volt range when I've just left them turned on and forgotten about them for a couple month's. Apparently after the blinking light warning re: low battery comes on ... after a while the light stops blinking but the electronic's keep pulling 'volts' from the battery.
I had no idea! That's serious.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Regulated mods, unless manually turned off, will all draw some power when not being used. The electronics need to be powered so they can respond to a button press.

Some draw more power in the off state than others, but it sounds like the 2.5 is on the higher end. Manuals may or may not list the "quiescent current", depends. If they do, the higher that is, the quicker the mod will discharge the battery just sitting.

Vaping the mod until low voltage cutoff isn't the best procedure for long battery service life. I just swap batteries when I refill the tank. Charge early and charge often :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Provari V2 was my first real mod after going through the Joye 510 and the eGo. I bought it on the one year anniversary of my first vape. That was the day that I decided to quit smoking altogether. The 510 and eGo took me from 2 PAD to a few cigs daily. The Provari allowed me to quit. It was just time to get rid of the last 6 cigs a day. I haven't smoked at all (or even been tempted) since April of 2011.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Just out of curiosity - Who still uses mechs? Anybody?
all day every day............my Reos are all I use and I love em. Just super simple.

With my battery charging I have gotten to where I just vape about 12 hours on a batt and then change it. When I pop them in the charger they are usually reading 3.8 something. Just quite using them until the light came on...
Jup, mine are 3.8 something when the vape gets a bit weak, so that is typically when I change them. I rotate 6 batts, and finally just got some new ones a couple days ago. My others were almost 2 years old. Which I know for you means they are practically brand new ;)

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I'm askeered of mechs..... :shock:I'll stick to the experts who know what they're doing, TYVM
I was also skeered of mechs until I used a Reo. Built in safety feature with collapsible spring, and huge vent hole in the door. It's actually the squonk hole. If you get one that has the slots in body and/or door, that is even more venting available. I have one with a slotted door. I feel completely safe with my Reos, but I don't think I would ever use a tube mech. After 3 years of daily use, I did just drop a spring recently. Not sure why it happened, but it worked just as it was designed to do and collapsed, which drops the battery down so it can't keep firing. Now I just need to get a new spring for my p-67 so am using a Reo grand again til then.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
My others were almost 2 years old. Which I know for you means they are practically brand new ;)

Yep, sure enough. Have about 6 that are still being used in my regular rotation that are over 6 years old now. A couple of years ago I asked when should batteries be retired. The consensus answer that I got was when they no longer held a charge long enough to justify using them. All of mine can still vape for a whole day if I choose so why trash them. But in a few more months I will not be using 6 yr old batts anymore - they will graduate to 7 yr old ones...

If you do the cycle calcs to how many batts you have in rotation (currently 9) and how many cycle charges they should provide - there is no reason batts at my usage level should not last 9 or maybe even 10 years. We will see.

At this point I retire them if they start doing anything unusual during usage or in charging. Shoot - two of them still have the original wraps on them.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Many of mine are nearly as old. Being a tootler I don't stress them. High power vapers may need to replace them more often, as they stress them more in use.

When they will no longer power through a full KF2, I do set them aside from vaping use. OK for flashlights :)

And as you say, if they do anything unusual in use or charging, time to retire them!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Yep ... I'm in the habit now to just remove the batteries for my P's that are just sitting around and used occasionally.
I've recently started trying to keep batteries only in those mods that I'm going to use today, because I've had too many batteries that I had to retire after they sat in chip mods for months or even a year. The voltage got too low to accept a charge.

Since I only use two-battery mods these days, I've also got a fair number of batteries that I don't use because their mates died. I give them a maintenance charge for safe storage, but eventually they'll die of loneliness. Then there are the paired batteries that are still perfectly good but which I don't use because they're lower in mAh than the ones I use. They also sit in plastic battery boxes with their mates, waiting to die from inactivity.

Morbid! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread