Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Thanks for that DancingH - I used to get mine from vaporkings but it looks like they are either out of stock or no longer doing them (equally cheap too I'd buy 20 at a time,lol). I'll give this site a whirl.
Oh ty MissWish - although I'm actually a very OLD member, just been away :)

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix
I'm not quite old enough for this forum (I know, I know, it's no matter), but I have the whole 'set in my ways' thing down pretty pat. Looking for some thoughts on a new e-cig type. I've done the mod thing, which was ok but seemed a lot of fiddly bits (or lots of fiddling with small parts, small difference now my eyes are getting a bit old), so I'm not that bothered about getting one again (also I like the small size of eGos). I'm an eGo gal, (eGo twist atm) using the 510 atty which is simplicity itself for me and a guaranteed good vape every time. However, it seems a lot of vendors are now no longer stocking my old faithful 510 atty, or it's being discontinued (I hate change..), and it may well be time for me to upgrade to something that doesn't use that atty (seriously don't want to do this but, it is what it is..). Any thoughts? FWIW I'm not bothered with clouds of vapor, the 510 has served me well there, I'm more about taste than clouds. Never got along well with tanks either ( OK I only tried one and didn't like it..).
Reading this back, I sound like a grumpy old curmudgeon who hates change (about right) LOL.

Do you have any more details about the tank or coils you are looking for? I'll help search. I don't know if you have used any of the iclear 30s. They worked pretty good for me and were the only pre-made coils that didn't make me want to climb out on the ledge.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Honestly Dog, I'm not really looking for a tank - what I really want is exactly what I have, except they may be discontinuing the 510/eGo compatible attys (or charging out of the derriere for them) which forces me to look around for something new (maybe). I tried a tank ages ago (like years..) and I wasn't a fan. I like to drip, I hated carts too lol. I did mention I hated change :D

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix
Got the V3 mini yesterday. Both passed auth check on the Svoemesto site. First build was way too close to the air hole and it tasted like a burning tire. Moved it about 2mm out, better. V3 build deck is not as nice as the V5, about the same as the lite. The mini runs hot, probably due to the smaller chamber and about 1.5W apart to vape the same. I think the V5 has better flavor and obviously more capacity but the mini is going to be nice on a small mod for stuffing into my pocket at work. Being able to top fill is worth the price of admission.

I ran them both in abuse mode yesterday. I was able to make them flood once each. The mini was an effort and on the V5 I forgot to close the juice holes when I filled it. The air adjustment on the mini is a PIA but it's set-and-forget. V5 is set one dot and the smallest MTL, I like tight draw. The only thing I haven't tried yet is heat. My lite would flood itself if left in the truck when it's hot out (Phoenix hot) but I think if I spin the juice holes closed it will be ok. It's supposed to be 106 today so maybe I'll toss them in the truck parked in the sun and see what happens.

If these operate like my Lite did I'm set for years.

070528.jpg

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I'm not quite old enough for this forum (I know, I know, it's no matter), but I have the whole 'set in my ways' thing down pretty pat. Looking for some thoughts on a new e-cig type. I've done the mod thing, which was ok but seemed a lot of fiddly bits (or lots of fiddling with small parts, small difference now my eyes are getting a bit old), so I'm not that bothered about getting one again (also I like the small size of eGos). I'm an eGo gal, (eGo twist atm) using the 510 atty which is simplicity itself for me and a guaranteed good vape every time. However, it seems a lot of vendors are now no longer stocking my old faithful 510 atty, or it's being discontinued (I hate change..), and it may well be time for me to upgrade to something that doesn't use that atty (seriously don't want to do this but, it is what it is..). Any thoughts? FWIW I'm not bothered with clouds of vapor, the 510 has served me well there, I'm more about taste than clouds. Never got along well with tanks either ( OK I only tried one and didn't like it..).
Reading this back, I sound like a grumpy old curmudgeon who hates change (about right) LOL.

Hi and welcome to the porch. Once upon a time, seems like long, long ago, I too was a 501 atty dripper. But nope, no longer. Anyway, here's a couple links I found for 510 atty's.

Genuine Boge™ 510 Dripping Atomizer - Vapor Authority

510 LR Long Barrel Bridgeless 1.5ohm Atomizer (Cisco Spec)

I never used the Cisco's but always heard they were top shelf. When it was still around I use IO6 atty's from Ikenvape. They were quite good. Sadly 'it' went out of business.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Got the V3 mini yesterday. Both passed auth check on the Svoemesto site. First build was way too close to the air hole and it tasted like a burning tire. Moved it about 2mm out, better. V3 build deck is not as nice as the V5, about the same as the lite. The mini runs hot, probably due to the smaller chamber and about 1.5W apart to vape the same. I think the V5 has better flavor and obviously more capacity but the mini is going to be nice on a small mod for stuffing into my pocket at work. Being able to top fill is worth the price of admission.

I ran them both in abuse mode yesterday. I was able to make them flood once each. The mini was an effort and on the V5 I forgot to close the juice holes when I filled it. The air adjustment on the mini is a PIA but it's set-and-forget. V5 is set one dot and the smallest MTL, I like tight draw. The only thing I haven't tried yet is heat. My lite would flood itself if left in the truck when it's hot out (Phoenix hot) but I think if I spin the juice holes closed it will be ok. It's supposed to be 106 today so maybe I'll toss them in the truck parked in the sun and see what happens.

View attachment 683693

Nice pair. I like the V3 mini for its compact size, but I feel like I'm always refilling it.

doghair

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Phoenix
Nice pair. I like the V3 mini for its compact size, but I feel like I'm always refilling it.

Agreed, if it was a bottom screw fill I would probably have passed on it but with the top fill I can top 'er off pretty easy with a squeeze bottle at my desk at work.

I can use the V5 at home and not have to get off my fat .... for hours.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

View attachment 683693
Close the juice holes & vape it almost dry. The juice gets thin as it heats up, & makes it easier to leak.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
How do our K5 users mount & trap your coils before snipping?

Thats the screw in the center of the two shoulders (he, he). I thread the wire around the screw and inside the shoulders. The snip the coil tail off where the X is. The wire comes from the coil and goes in/around the screw where the ^ is. Crude diagram, but I hope you get my meaning.

| O |
^ x

I keep a mandrel in the coil and lay 'it' on top of the air hole. Try to hold it aligned/in place and tighten one screw, the the other. Then I left it a couple mm high over the air hole. I leave the mandrel in, and check the leads for clearance. If needed I bend then a tich up. Leave the mandrel in while do it all eliminated distorting the coil while I'm working on it.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Don't have one, but it looks to be a similar concept to the Subtank RBA. See if the screws are long enough to back out for enough clearance for your coil lead to slide in from the side. If they are, just lay 'em in, tighten down. The screw head will mash the lead and make a good connection, no wraparound needed. Snip close or wiggle off.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Thats the screw in the center of the two shoulders (he, he). I thread the wire around the screw and inside the shoulders. The snip the coil tail off where the X is. The wire comes from the coil and goes in/around the screw where the ^ is. Crude diagram, but I hope you get my meaning.

| O |
^ x

I keep a mandrel in the coil and lay 'it' on top of the air hole. Try to hold it aligned/in place and tighten one screw, the the other. Then I left it a couple mm high over the air hole. I leave the mandrel in, and check the leads for clearance. If needed I bend then a tich up. Leave the mandrel in while do it all eliminated distorting the coil while I'm working on it.
Thanks Mike thats what I've been dooing. Kinda wondering if it's necessary to wrap around the screw or could just stick it thru on one side & tighten it. Ever tried thatn or heard of anyone doing it?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Don't have one, but it looks to be a similar concept to the Subtank RBA. See if the screws are long enough to back out for enough clearance for your coil lead to slide in from the side. If they are, just lay 'em in, tighten down. The screw head will mash the lead and make a good connection, no wraparound needed. Snip close or wiggle off.
Thatcs the way I was wondering about.

first rda build1.jpg
Hello to all,

I turned 60 in April and just last month begin to vape. I picked up the cigarettes about two weeks prior and at my wife's request tried vaping. Bought a Smoke V8 stick kit to start. Liked it so well not even a week later I bought a Smoke Proctor mod kit. Well it is now about three weeks and I have an RDA from Goon. Bought a few different coils from AVS in SS and have ordered a Tsunami 24, a Griffin 25 Plus and a Serpent SMM to give them a shot.
Last night I did my first build on the Goon 1.5. It took me a bit, fiddling with the coils and then wicking it, but first draw was great! I normally vape at around 70 watts, but dropped it down to 45 watts and so far, I like it better.
The build is not a work of art but the results really exceed my expectations in terms of flavor. Looking forward to getting the other three decks.
On the porch daily here at home.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Thanks Mike thats what I've been dooing. Kinda wondering if it's necessary to wrap around the screw or could just stick it thru on one side & tighten it. Ever tried thatn or heard of anyone doing it?

Kenna ... that would work I suppose. But be careful you trim it good and close. There's a tight tolerance between the chamber that screws and the outside of the build deck. You surely don't want to chance the cut off tag end touching the inside of it and causing a hard short. That actually happened to me once 'in the beginning' before I took to wrapping totally around he screw.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I am 40. Does that include me in the older folks group?

If you woke up today older than yesterday, you're fully qualified to sit on the porch. And if you woke up today, not older than yesterday, you must share your secret, then you're fully qualified to sit on the porch. Welcome!

Hello to all,

I turned 60 in April and just last month begin to vape. I picked up the cigarettes about two weeks prior and at my wife's request tried vaping. Bought a Smoke V8 stick kit to start. Liked it so well not even a week later I bought a Smoke Proctor mod kit. Well it is now about three weeks and I have an RDA from Goon. Bought a few different coils from AVS in SS and have ordered a Tsunami 24, a Griffin 25 Plus and a Serpent SMM to give them a shot.
Last night I did my first build on the Goon 1.5. It took me a bit, fiddling with the coils and then wicking it, but first draw was great! I normally vape at around 70 watts, but dropped it down to 45 and so, I like it better.
The build is not a work of art but the results really exceed my expectations in terms of flavor. Looking ford to getting the other three decks.
On the porch daily here at home.

Great! ... another v-vert (vaping convert) ... Nice going! Sure looks like you're going full tilt getting started. I'm not familiar with the gear your using but it seems to be working for you.!

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread