OMG...Did Anyone See This???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
Sounds like he was using a mod of some type. I used a mod when I first started vaping, then things were getting iffy about batteries and frankly, ohms bore the heck out of me, so I went to V4L because I was afraid I'd get my mouth rearranged by user error or battery issues, I was using the stacking of batts in my tube mod.

I hate it when this kind of thing happens because it gives the government that much more ammunition to try and ban the ecigs.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Only ammo really given to the govt on this is to ban the use of lithium based batts Pugzley (sir or Ms.?). Which means goodbye cell phones, laptops, hybrid cars, list goes on. Amazingly quite a few iphones have blown up while in use, yet no one made as big a deal about them, and a lot of people still own iphones, and the govt never banned them. You can't ban one type of lithium based batt and not the rest. If people would simply do their homework before ever buying a mod, none of this would happen. If ohms, amperage, watts, c ratings, on load voltage, vent holes, batt chemistry, etc. is something someone doesn't want to learn then they have no business ever buying a mod.....

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Ummmmmm, the device implicated in last month's exploding mod was an OMG mod that V4L USED to sell on the website. I guess that they have responsibly pulled it from their stock, although they still sell the crappy Tenergy batteries - Vapor4Life

ummmmmmm where exactly was this implicated??? I have seen no such implication

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Spaceballsrules sir the reports weren't on the OMG/5v Wow whatever you wish to call it from smoktek sold by a number of vendors. It was a proidgy v3 that was unvented, running without any regulation. That's between 6.15-6.21v on load at full charge. Put at 1.5ohm dual coil on that, no vents, no kick down circuit, you're asking to be hurt. Broken record time- if you don't understand ohms, voltages, watts, amperage, importance of veting, c ratings, etc. you have no business ever buying a mod.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Spaceballsrules sir the reports weren't on the OMG/5v Wow whatever you wish to call it from smoktek sold by a number of vendors. It was a proidgy v3 that was unvented, running without any regulation. That's between 6.15-6.21v on load at full charge. Put at 1.5ohm dual coil on that, no vents, no kick down circuit, you're asking to be hurt. Broken record time- if you don't understand ohms, voltages, watts, amperage, importance of veting, c ratings, etc. you have no business ever buying a mod.

+++++++++++++++ (I wish I had an infinity symbol to use here)

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
Only ammo really given to the govt on this is to ban the use of lithium based batts Pugzley (sir or Ms.?). Which means goodbye cell phones, laptops, hybrid cars, list goes on. Amazingly quite a few iphones have blown up while in use, yet no one made as big a deal about them, and a lot of people still own iphones, and the govt never banned them. You can't ban one type of lithium based batt and not the rest. If people would simply do their homework before ever buying a mod, none of this would happen. If ohms, amperage, watts, c ratings, on load voltage, vent holes, batt chemistry, etc. is something someone doesn't want to learn then they have no business ever buying a mod.....

The part about having no business buying a mod sounds great in theory, but newbies buying mods are not told that they need to know about: atts, c ratings, on load voltage, vent holes, batt chemistry, etc. I certainly wasn't and when I contacted the person I bought not 1 but 2 mods from about hearing about battery issues being a danger, I was told that it was just overblown hype and not to worry about it. I quit using them right then and there. Not everyone comes to this forum to learn about mods either. They just buy them online, never dreaming they might have this kind of trouble.

Your post sounds a bit scolding toward me. I am not a small child.

And you are wrong about the effect of this on states banning ecigarettes. Non-smokers are always behind the banning of ecigs, all over the country. This news story will be used as a way to persuade others to think all ecigs are bad and they need to be banned. People that are not using ecigs are certainly not going to take the time and trouble to learn about mods and batteries. It will be used for propaganda purposes to the ends of those who hate nicotine.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Ms. Pugzley it's not a scolding by any means, it's the truth. Here's an example- It would be like someone going out and buying a pet chimp because they think it's cute. They know nothing of what chimps eat, nothing about their habits, all they see is it's cute so they bought it. Next thing you know they get killed by said chimp. Was the chimp at fault, no. The chimp did what chimps can do. It's the fault of the user. Stand by my statement, if you don't know how the mod works and what it's capable of, you shouldn't buy it.

Not wrong on that one, because the danger of lithium based batts is universal. If the govt tried to band them because of the safety of the batteries, then every other lithium based batt is held to the same standard. If a camera lithium batts blow will the damage be any less than that of an ecig? How about a laptop? Phone against someone's ear

BEEFENHAUZER

Apr 28, 2010
IL
Ms. Pugzley it's not a scolding by any means, it's the truth. Here's an example- It would be like someone going out and buying a pet chimp because they think it's cute. They know nothing of what chimps eat, nothing about their habits, all they see is it's cute so they bought it. Next thing you know they get killed by said chimp. Was the chimp at fault, no. The chimp did what chimps can do. It's the fault of the user. Stand by my statement, if you don't know how the mod works and what it's capable of, you shouldn't buy it.

Not wrong on that one, because the danger of lithium based batts is universal. If the govt tried to band them because of the safety of the batteries, then every other lithium based batt is held to the same standard. If a camera lithium batts blow will the damage be any less than that of an ecig? How about a laptop? Phone against someone's ear

Morandir, I have always agreed with things you have stated in the forums, however, this time i don't agree entirely. On both points. I see the point you are getting at with you're chimp analogy, however, some warnings should have been provided by the seller, either verbally, or with a warning label ect. Firworks is another perfect example. All over the packages is warning labels on what not to do. Granted, a lot of it is common sense, but if someone purchased an M80, with the assumption it worked like a sparkler, there would be an injury. Just recently i bought a mod and I was under the assumption it worked the same as the regular KR808's just with different batteries and charger...

The second part is universal like you say, but i do agree that there will probably be someone out there that will TRY to use this incident as ammunition. If there is anyone in attendance or hears it that knows about lithium batteries, I am sure it would be shot down immediately.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Beefenhauzer sir interesting enough:

Battery Safety

There's a mod with battery safety info. If you order a provari they list every safety feature of it as well. Same goes for quite a few mods. If they don't have a listing of safety features, you should either a. contact them or b. not buy it. As much as it's the company that makes anything using lithium based batts responsiblity to make it safe, it's the consumers as well to look out for their own well being. People go for the "oh that has a lot of volts and that atty has really low ohms it must be great" idea without taking any of the key factors into consideration. The chimp analogy again shows it's merit. You don't need an electrical background, but a basic understanding of running this high voltage, on this low ohms, with these batteries, in this non-vented or regulated mod is going to get me hurt. Oddly enough though here on ecf there are many places to ask these questions, not to mention people here. If this is how my trying to help is going to be taken though, will no longer chime in. Sorry for looking out for people's well being, it won't happen again.

And you proved my point, if someone tries to ban them based on them using lithium cells goodbye cell phones, laptops, cameras, hybrid cars, or anything else that can cause injury or fatality to others because of their proximity to one's person. Think thre economy is bad now, wait until that takes place. The govt may not like ecigs, but they won't shut them down over exploding batts. Not unless they find a different cell technology to power all our high voltage devices no one can live without these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread