The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

OMG!!! He's changing the wicking all by himself!!

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Tinkiegrrl, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tinkiegrrl

Tinkiegrrl Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I need to buy more drippers immediately! My husband just changed the wicking on the dripper I've been leaving home for him. I had to watch him do it and give him pointers, but he WANTED to learn. This is the first rebuildable he's tried to maintain anything on by himself. I think I finally found something he enjoys enough to not want to wait till I get home to do it for him. Someone call the media!

Of course, this means he's now successfully stolen the dripper I bought to specifically match up with my black copper stingray clone. I'm loathe to take it back, as he's willing to actually maintain this one on his own. This also means that my nefarious plans to forbid him to open that second bottle of juice he's fallen in love with so I can sell/trade it once it's super rare (it's apparently been discontinued) are ruined. Of course I'm gonna let him vape it. In fact, I should hunt down a third bottle now. I'm afraid that when he's out, he'll loose interest and I'll be stuck doing all his Kayfuns again. He still won't do it for a Kayfun. Too many pieces I think. The more he drips, the less he vapes them though, and the less he vapes them the less I need to do them. I enjoy the tinkering aspect, but last weekend I felt like I was in an assembly line between his stuff and mine. I normally time them for a little each night, but bad luck had them all needing some time last weekend.

I think I need some juice recommendations as well, because there's no way I can keep him supplied indefinately with a juice that has been discontinued. Stuff steeped in oak barrels. I know it's gimmicky, but he likes it, and I don't want to ruin what seems to be working for him so well. Dark, rich, sweet, complex, coil slaying stuff. Money is no issue. Not for the time this is saving me. My time is money. I think he thinks he's vaping the e-liquid equivalent of fine wine or bourbon (juice has a bourbon taste actually). I think the creators meant it to be that. I like premium liquids myself, I'm not knocking them. I just think that an oak barrel shouldn't be adding so much money... Still, I don't care in this case. If he wants to drip expensive, rare, stuff, fine. Tell me what's out there.

2. CreepyLady

CreepyLady Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2013
    Salem, MA, USA
    Omg, I feeeeeel your elation and pain! Mine is *just* like yours. Once I ponied up and bought him his own Reo Grand and Hornet, he took off on his own......FINALLY. I still make the coils, but he will mount it, check for shorts- the whole 9, which is pretty *epic* considering he wouldnt even change the coil in a vivi nova with a factory coil 6 months ago.

Congrats that he is doing some on his own, because I know exactly what you mean by feeling like you are in an assembly line. I think I may have temporarily been a sweat shop employee coil maker/mod fixer/wick replacer myself for a bit!

I also wanted to tell you to try out High5 from Goodlifevapor - this one I have tried and its very tasty. The other one folks have compared to the flavor in question is Gentleman's Reserve by Steam Co.

3. bluecat

bluecat Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    I swore I would never do it. You (or hubby) has really peaked my interest in the Sir James. I may actually dust some cobwebs out of my wallet and get some. 40 bucks though.... Would need a few Guinness stouts before ordering.

Just hope it isn't like the last one which was just FA and PG hand stirred.

"it's apparently been discontinued" Hmm still selling on website or at least looks that way. Sir James 1776 VSOP, correct?

4. jimkipila

jimkipila Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2013
    Pontiac, mi
    Haha I'm in the same boat with my girlfriend! She just got her own reo so she's finally actually maintaining it on her own and asking me stuff rather than just telling me to "fix it" for her, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I'll be sure to check those out for him. At the moment, his addiction is Sir James, from Lazarus Vintage. They've discontinued it for a new release I believe, that is also to be steeped in the barrel my husband seems to dig so much, so hopefully he'll like the new release too. Just need something to tide him over till then. He's "steaming" through that first bottle at light speed. He also kinda wants to hang on to the second for sale or trade, but I know him. He's all about instant gratification. He'll wind up breaking that fancy wax seal anyway.

I'm likely going to continue coiling and mounting them for now. I fear for his safety if he does that. That instant gratification thing may have him "forget" to test the coil or something. That's not a big deal though, as they last so long. It's the wicking that goes so fast.\, and kayfuns have so many pieces to take apart and clean. I was surrounded in them in the kitchen last weekend. I also need to wait till the kids are in bed to do this, and my eyes aren't what they used to be at night. I need my own space with access to water in order to do this during the day. Otherwise, the kids are everywhere.

6. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    From the Lazarus site - "Sir James is only avaliable in limited quantities via our exclusive vendors. Please see our vendor list to find the vendor near you." I've found a couple of the vendors, but only one with it still in stock, online. That vendor only has it because he got a double shipment though. At least, that's what he told me. His first one was lost by USPS for a bit, but when he got a second, the first arrived days later. Where did you find it?

7. Mrs C

Mrs C Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Tinkigirl, I remember reading about him sneaking your vv3's and draining them overnight. You have done wonders teaching that old dog some new tricks.

8. Clutchless

Clutchless Full Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Finland
    Regular wick-change all alone is the next best thing to cheating .. :D

9. ToxicRVA

ToxicRVA Super Member Verified Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Richmond, Va, USA
    28 Days Vape also uses oak barrels to steep some of their flavors, might want to check them out too

10. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Awesome. Definitely. Which one is the darkest, richest, most annoying and bothersome to deal with? That'll be his favorite.

11. ToxicRVA

ToxicRVA Super Member Verified Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Richmond, Va, USA
    I couldn't say for sure, as I haven't tried any of their juices yet. I'll be trying some soon though....

12. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    OMG!!! He's changing the wicking all by himself!!

Yesss... [​IMG]

13. yo_diego

yo_diego Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Mexico
    I will recommend Vape Dudes - Private Stock eJuice collection
    That brand makes some delicious ejuices, they were the first I tried that really satisfied my taste buds. I do love food as well as vape.
    Now they have this premium line with time favorites flavors.

"Hand-crafted, shelved and steeped for optimum taste, Private Stock is Vape Dudes' standard bearer for quality. Some familiar favorites as well as new eJuice flavors, all in 30ml bottles ready to ship, deliver and vape."

14. supertrunker

supertrunker Living sarcasm Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    Changing wicks, next it'll be cooking (bacon) and joining a gym....

T

15. WillyZee

WillyZee Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    get him some regular Castle Long ... not limited, but very tasty.

16. TamiP

TamiP Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2012
    Illinois
    You've created a monster! :) Congratulations.

17. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Oh, he does all the cooking. He's a chef. I'm afraid to try and cook. It'll never love up to his. This is largely why he hasn't tried learning coils. He cooks, I do coils. Except, the juice he's into now slays the wicking so fast he can't make it through my work day without switching them out. This is why it's not in a Kayfun. Drippers are easier for a coil slayer juice. As for the gym, he plays softball on two different leagues.

18. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    We have some. Didn't catch on for him. He claims to be able to taste the oak barrel on Sir James.

19. 3mg Meniere

3mg Meniere Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    If he is so fussy, get him set up for mixing his own juices!! He probably will need to jump right in to Flavour art and Inawera.

Softball on two different leagues?? :2cool: Great way for him to avoid an occupational hazard.

20. Sue1971

Sue1971 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2010
    Mass
    :thumb:

now if I can get my hubby to start rebuilding his...It took him a month to even want to learn to refill his ptmini...lol

It was always "hunny, I need a refill"... :facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.