On love and chocolate - the relaxing, stress-relieving side of alkaloids

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
First of all, I should say that the biochemistry is complex so any discussion involves a certain level of over-simplification.

Melatonin and Histamine

Melatonin (N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine) and Histamine are important regulators of the sleep cycle (among other things), critical for well-being. It is quite possible that the MAOI effects of particular alkaloids in tobacco / WTA have their appreciated effects mediated by these amine neurotransmitters / hormones. There is much scope for research here. (ps: histamine plays a role in regulating physiological function in the gut - not a pun really Kurt, the gut is arguably the foundation for good health.)

A little 'big idea'

I have been nudging the idea that nicotine is on the stimulatory side in terms of its overall effect (noted though the idea that this may be dose dependent and will look into it). Now I wish to suggest that we look at the bigger, whole-body picture and consider that full-spectrum alkaloids might be important (desirable) for balanced effects on the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems - 'rest and digest (relaxed)' and 'alert and able' (fight or flight at the extreme).

Relaxed and alert

Stress/anxiety is a major condition for desiring a smoke - so relaxation is definitely one of the desired, and actual, effects of smoking (and, conversely, withdrawal can raise anxiety - a key withdrawal symptom).

Smoking produces the seemingly contradictory (and highly desirable) state of both alertness and calmness.

It is certainly not possible to pin simple labels like 'relaxing' and stimulating' on particular alkaloids, or even neurotransmitters, (as one can more easily do for say alcohol and caffeine) because the system in a complex interactive one. Subjectively though, there are two broadly felt effects - relaxation and stimulation. Here, I wish to ponder the relaxation side.

In part, nicotine acts similarly to adrenaline (sympathetic system), with effects on both mind and body. The heart beats faster and blood pressure increases; one feels more alert and can think faster; a result not just of increased blood flow but also increased neurotransmitter activity.

There has been some thinking out loud about what the other alkaloids, and nicotine too to some extent, provide in terms of the relaxtion side of physiological effects. While dopamine does indeed provide a sense of well-being, and nicotine raises dopamine levels and MAOI alkaloids can help boost levels further, there might well be more to relaxation effects than this.

Endorphins

The literature on endorphin release through smoking goes back decades (but is pretty thin). This is one of the possible pathways for the relaxing effect of smoking / WTA - relaxation mediated by the release of endorphins (MAOIs being involved indirectly).

Endorphins are polypeptides that interestingly are endogenous (normally in the body) opioids (bind with the various opioid receptors, which are found principally in the central nervous system and the gastrointestinal tract), that once released act like opiates such as morphine. The term endorphin is a contraction of endogenous and morphine-like; it describes any chemical with this pharmacological effect. Besides pain relief*, including 'high intensity exercise buzz' (pain control for extreme exertion), are associated with the natural high of orgasm and an effect a little like tranquilisers (tobacco as nature's vallium); also, a subtle aphrodisiac. Natural opiates are alkaloids; hence there might be actual opiates in tobacco besides activity to release endogenous ones.

Chocolate** can stimulate the release of endorphins; this amazing substance made from the beans of Theobroma Cacao also contains tryptophan (an essential amino acid that is the rate-limiting step in the production of the mood-modulating neurotransmitter serotonin, which tends to diminish anxiety), anandamide (an endogenous cannabinoid), beta-carbolines (psychoactive alkaloids) and phenylethylamine (amphetamine-like, releases dopamine in the meso-limbic pleasure-centres of the brain).

Particular alkaloids can produce a calming effect by triggering the release beta-endorphins. Thus both the dopamine and opiod systems, and how they interact, are likely important to the overall effects of tobacco / WTA.

Falling in love

Finally, and this might not be as daft as it sounds at first: I've heard endorphins described as giving a feeling akin to 'being in love'; seems to me that 'falling in love' is like an 'imprinting' whereby an endorphin rush can be strongly associated in memory with the focus of attention at the time. One remembers the ducks who will follow their 'mother' as the first living thing they see on being hatched, even if that is a human (no endorphins here (?) but the classical example of imprinting); so might the particularly strong buzzz of one's first smokes create an endorphin rush so strong that it creates a life-long love affair for the alkaloid mix (and behavioural cues) that aroused it ...

In saying this, I mean that it is not so much how smoking/vaping made you feel yesterday that keeps one smoking, but the memory of that first 'kiss'.

~~~

Btw, the way I see it, that understanding the biochemical effects of smoking has been slow is partly due to the false equation of smoking with nicotine; ignoring the other alkaloids.

* Interestingly, capsaicum can release endorphins too, perhaps via pain response.
** Interestingly, chocolate imbibers are longer lived, partly due to the copious polyphenol content that reduces the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins.

@ Article by permission of the author (kinabaloo) and Vaping Buzzz

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Could this explain, partially, why we eat more when we quit? The body seeking the drugs it now needs? I thought of Thanksgiving and TURKEY? Doesn't it have something in it that makes you feel satisfied and sleepy? LOL

From memory, tryptophan; doubt there's that much of an effect though. After a meal the body switches to 'rest and digest' mode.

If there's any weight-gain effect after quitting nic that's likely just normal unsuppressed appetite returning, bolstered by improved senses.

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
kin: I remember reading somewhere that smoking does have an effect on the metabolism. Also, there was some study in the US a few years ago that showed an effect of tryptophan on one's brain levels after ingesting turkey at a holiday meal, hence the napping after the traditional holiday meal. LOL I'm just sayin'...that's what they said!

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
kin: I remember reading somewhere that smoking does have an effect on the metabolism. Also, there was some study in the US a few years ago that showed an effect of tryptophan on one's brain levels after ingesting turkey at a holiday meal, hence the napping after the traditional holiday meal. LOL I'm just sayin'...that's what they said!

Sure, but i think most effect is from over-eating (parasympathetic system kicking in) ;)

In contrast, except at high intakes, perhaps very high, nicotine acts more to stimulation (the sympathetic system), speeding up metabolism.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
If there's any weight-gain effect after quitting nic that's likely just normal unsuppressed appetite returning, bolstered by improved senses.

There's more to it than that. I have read that smoking gives you a 200-calorie per day advantage, due to increased metabolic rate.

There's one more thing that I believe plays into it. Sugar. Many people crave carbohydrates -- especially sweet carbs -- when they are depressed. Sugar seems to relieve depression for some reason. (Not as well as nicotine, IMHO.)

Do you think that it is merely a coincidence that we now have an epidemic of obesity and diabetes? Entirely predictable, especially if you read about the MRFIT study. This was an experiment in using lifestyle interventions that included diet and smoking cessation to prevent diabetes. Those who were successful in quitting smoking developed diabetes at a higher rate than continuing smokers.

PubMed home

The special intervention-usual care hazard ratio for diabetes was 1.26 (CI, 1.10 to 1.45) among smokers (63%) and 0.82 (CI, 0.68 to 0.98) among nonsmokers (37%). These estimates differed significantly (P = 0.0003). Weight gain after smoking cessation and the use of antihypertensive drugs may have counterbalanced the beneficial effect of the lifestyle intervention for the special intervention group smokers, while the lifestyle intervention was beneficial among nonsmokers.

Last edited:

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
There's more to it than that. I have read that smoking gives you a 200-calorie per day advantage, due to increased metabolic rate.

There's one more thing that I believe plays into it. Sugar. Many people crave carbohydrates -- especially sweet carbs -- when they are depressed. Sugar seems to relieve depression for some reason. (Not as well as nicotine, IMHO.)

Do you think that it is merely a coincidence that we now have an epidemic of obesity and diabetes? Entirely predictable, especially if you read about the MRFIT study. This was an experiment in using lifestyle interventions that included diet and smoking cessation to prevent diabetes. Those who were successful in quitting smoking developed diabetes at a higher rate than continuing smokers.

I think you should say quit nicotine developed more diabetes.

PubMed home

Thinking about it again, I'd say both are true: appetite is suppressed and metabolic rate is increased.

"Do you think that it is merely a coincidence that we now have an epidemic of obesity and diabetes?" What's your point here? The epidemic includes far more than former nicotine consumers and depressives.

I think there is an element of addictiveness to cooked processed foods that I discuss in the 'beta carboline' thread; this is doubly bad because the addictors are created along with toxic HCAs.

There are many factors, but the biggest is the preponderence of carbohydrates - excess fats are just passed out but excess carbs (glycemic index mediated) must be stored to keep blood glucose in a narrow range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread