Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
I have been vaping for a few months now and I started off like most with regular stick batteries. Now I use a VV Foxy Mod Box and an other VV mod box that was made from a friend for backup. I think I'm spoiled. I can't seem to get back to using my stick batteries. I'm always looking at different mods that look awesome and are quality, but they are one voltage or use different types of batteries to change voltage. My question is why would someone get a fixed volt device after using a variable voltage pv?

Retriever

Moved On
Nov 2, 2011
I guess it all depends on what you are satisfied with. I am looking into some vv devices and just haven't decided. I had a Provari for about a week but I think my technique wasn't quite right. I also needed a different juice with it. Oh well, live and learn. I may go back with another Provari, but am waiting to see what else comes out, if anything.

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
I just recently ordered a 5v box mod--I've had my provari for 10 months and love it. The reason I got it was essentially to use as a backup and when going out drinking adult beverages--just didn't want to take a chance of losing my provari (I've come close several times). The ego I have just doesn't do it for me anymore. The 5v box mod was gotten at a very reasonable price... while I don't want to lose it, I can afford to.

cheers,

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
I'm just wondering how much they will cost and when they will be for sale. It seems like forever. The Kick is the perfect invention!!!!
Hopefully the evolv kick or something like it will soon be out. Then you can have variable power outputs with a 3.7 18650 mod!

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
Well, you can still get a good vape off of a FV device, just like you could before you tried VV. You just have to be more aware of your atomizer ohms and such since that's your main source of "adjustment" then. As for why to go back to FV, I ask why not? I still use my Screwdriver on occasion, it's nice to have the small and simple PV in my hand once in a while and I still get a good vape from it. My GG is a whole 'nother animal, I primarily use that for the UFS (which I can't use on other devices), to take advantage of the adjustable draw feature or for 6v vaping with dual coils (which most VV mods can't handle this high). Of course, I am looking forward to the Kick for my GGTS ;-)

It all comes down to tastes and what exactly you're doing with it, I guess.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I vape at different voltages throughout the day. When I wake up it is at 4v so it isn't harsh and by the evening it is at 4.8-5.2v This is with a 2.2-2.5 ohm 510 atty. As my atty's age and the resistance goes up I can adjust the voltage to keep the same quality of vape. No way could I go back to a set voltage after having VV.

Scottinboca

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
Planet Vapton
There is nothing like hitting that sweet spot with your atty/carto and juice combo with a VV!!!
Well, you can still get a good vape off of a FV device, just like you could before you tried VV. You just have to be more aware of your atomizer ohms and such since that's your main source of "adjustment" then. As for why to go back to FV, I ask why not? I still use my Screwdriver on occasion, it's nice to have the small and simple PV in my hand once in a while and I still get a good vape from it. My GG is a whole 'nother animal, I primarily use that for the UFS (which I can't use on other devices), to take advantage of the adjustable draw feature or for 6v vaping with dual coils (which most VV mods can't handle this high). Of course, I am looking forward to the Kick for my GGTS ;-)

It all comes down to tastes and what exactly you're doing with it, I guess.

Green Mtn Vpr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2011
VT
Since the day I started VV I have used any of my fixed devices precisely ONCE (went out for dinner/drinks-took my old favorite BMF 808 for small/stealth convenience- I couldnt get home fast enough!) I'm officially ruined...but enjoying vaping more than ever. Working on a nice little stealth vv, and with that I really dont see myself using fixed again. The BMF was perfect pv to start vaping and quit analogs, but once I peeked behind the voltage curtain...

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I have a couple of VV mods and I almost never use them. I find myself setting them to the exact same voltages I could achieve before I had VV. I did a good job matching cartos/attys and juices for my batteries... so, VV just isn't a very valuable feature for me.

I do like regulated voltage. It's nice to produce the same output from beginning to end of a battery charge. - But, my IMR and ni-mh batts do a good enough job of maintaining their output until I change them out that regulation isn't all that necessary either...

And I've thought about this a lot. I've been considering manufacturing a mod. The first cuts came off the plasma table today, so I might even have a few prototypes before Christmas. I'll probably offer 2 versions: - Unregulated and suggest IMR batts - and 4.2v regulated. That's it. No VV.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I have been using a provari for ten months. The vv feature helps when I am mixing juice but otherwise it is set to 3.7 volts on a 2.8 ohm cartomizer and I never change it for vaping. I mix my own juice and set the flavor to taste best for the voltage and the carts I use. So any battery that will give me a steady 5 watts will do. Actually no battery will do that without a regulated power supply but AW IMR batts come pretty close.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I have a couple of VV mods and I almost never use them. I find myself setting them to the exact same voltages I could achieve before I had VV. I did a good job matching cartos/attys and juices for my batteries... so, VV just isn't a very valuable feature for me.

I do like regulated voltage. It's nice to produce the same output from beginning to end of a battery charge. - But, my IMR and ni-mh batts do a good enough job of maintaining their output until I change them out that regulation isn't all that necessary either...

And I've thought about this a lot. I've been considering manufacturing a mod. The first cuts came off the plasma table today, so I might even have a few prototypes before Christmas. I'll probably offer 2 versions: - Unregulated and suggest IMR batts - and 4.2v regulated. That's it. No VV.

You can't change the fact that the voltage drops as they deplete. A fresh battery on a 2.2 ohm atty will produce about 8 watts. At 3.2v it will have dropped to 4.65 watts. 3.5 watt difference is a huge difference in vape

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have a couple of VV mods and I almost never use them. I find myself setting them to the exact same voltages I could achieve before I had VV.

That's been my experience, too. A while ago, I bought one of MadVapes' little 14500 x 2 VV box mods and started experimenting, looking for the ideal sweet spot for me. I constantly twiddled with the little rheostat for several weeks. I finally found a good point, then I measured the voltage. 3.8 volts through a 3.0 ohm Boge. That's so close to my Rivas that I said "phooey" to VV.

I'll probably try again sometime in the future, but right now, VV is low priority for me.

As they say, YMMV . . .

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just wondering why I'm vaping this tiny little SD key Ring with a couple of VV mods right at my elbow.

Maybe it's because the damn little thing is a great vape! I'm impressed with these 2.5ohm cartos that came with it.

My observation is that a good vape could care less what mod it is powered by, it's either a good vape or it's not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread