Not open for further replies.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
O.K. I'm stumped (and stupid).
I was using my favorite and best atty on an eGo battery and suddenly everything got very hot and vapor was everywhere. Pulled them apart and figured the battery was stuck on. Tried the atty on another eGo batt and it happened again. Cleaned everything and, with incredible stupidity, tried the atty on a couple more eGo batteries.
Bottom line, I have a melted cart, very hot atty, and a row of very dead eGo batteries lying here on my desk. Never had anything like this happen in 13 months of vaping.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
I have no idea quas, but that's what I'm thinking. Man, that was an incredibly great atty, right up to the last. But, it went out with guns blazing and killed a few batteries on its way out. I mean that baby was smoking!
So far one battery on the charger has gone green so I'm hopeful I may save maybe two out of the four batts. Now where's that charge card? It's been a while.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Yeah, what kind of atty?

Also, this might be an indelicate time to ask (sorry 'bout yer loss, rest in peace, yadda yadda), but this is a great opportunity to ask an old hand like you for your perspective. I imagine you've tried other mods that use cheaper, non-proprietary batteries, and yet you're clearly a big fan of the eGo. With this expensive battery purchase ahead of you, what is motivating you to continue with the eGo? I'm just curious what it is about the eGo that you value so highly.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
It was a plain ole 510 atty that had been cooking great for probably 2-3 months. I still have 5 eGo batts but that's down from 8. Wife and I have been through RN4081s, M401s, and 510s. Went to the eGo about 5 or 6 months ago and stayed with them because they have a great battery life of 8-10 hours (unless your atty kills it), use regular 510 carts and attys, and just seem to be the best overall that we've ever tried.
I'll probably pick up a couple more batteries in a week or so just to keep the supply up.
Gee, I miss my batt-killing atty. :(

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
Was it a LR atty? I thought I heard you couldn't use LR attys on egos? Is that true? I loooove LR attys:)
RIMP:evil:

I think most of us use LR attys on our eGos, Rivas, and Hello 016s (I have all three). You can use LR attys on any battery that's 400 mAh or higher. The eGo is (650), Riva (750), Hello (1300).

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
That is a bummer, cliff. I had the same thing happen with 4 901 batteries after a couple months of vaping. One atty shorted and I tried it on all 4 before the light went on. Mine never came back. Hope yours do.

I also prefer the ego batts over mods simply for the form factor, ease of use and battery life.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
I appreciate the "I did that to my batteries, too" stories. Makes me feel a little less, dare I say, stupid. :)
Turns out there were 5 batteries in my situation. Two have come back to life. Nah, I still feel stupid that it took me 5 batteries before my own "light" came on and I realized what I was doing.
Blaming this one on age.

This happened to me last night. I was using a regular 510 atty that I'd been using for about a month. My Ego batteries (I lost 2 of them) were only about a month old also. I'm glad I found this thread because I was going to contact the supplier...but they were only under warranty for 14 days. I left them on the charger over night but no luck in getting them working again.

Has anyone had this problem on the Riva..maybe when I can afford it I'll try that instead of getting another Ego.

I never had any problems with my regular 510 batteries. They've been going strong for 7 months of constant use. Just switched to the Ego a month ago and I am not happy!

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
This is interesting. Attys that work well for months and then kill the batteries they love... hmm. Definitely a short, perhaps what's happening is that the wires that lead up to the coil are heating up and the covering is melting off, then at some point the two become twisted together and voila, short. The thing that gets me is that these egos don't appear to be protected from such things. I've had a few shorts in my mods, but the batteries are usually fine as long as the short passes through the switch.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I think most of us use LR attys on our eGos, Rivas, and Hello 016s (I have all three). You can use LR attys on any battery that's 400 mAh or higher. The eGo is (650), Riva (750), Hello (1300).
yeah alot of people use LR atties on eGo/Riva/Hello batteries...the whole 400mAh or better is misleading though...do you understand why they say that?
Truth is that any atty where the Amp draw that exceeds the max drain rate of the battery will kill it quicker...
and hate to break it to you but this is particularly true of LR atties..
the whole 400mAh that the vendors are quoting is all about battery life between charges and getting them to work at all...

if the max drain rate of the battery cant keep up with the amp draw of the atty at a given voltage you experience voltage sag (simplified explaination is the voltage drops to lower the amp draw to meet what the battery at max can supply) in lower mAh batteries that voltage sag is so considerable that the battery could function like it's at it's low voltage cutoff (thinks it's depleted)...
the truth is that the only batteries that can support a LR atty without damage to the battery in the long term are 18650s, and high drain 16340s or high drain 14500....eGos, rivas and the like are just on borrowed time...

This is interesting. Attys that work well for months and then kill the batteries they love... hmm. Definitely a short, perhaps what's happening is that the wires that lead up to the coil are heating up and the covering is melting off, then at some point the two become twisted together and voila, short. The thing that gets me is that these egos don't appear to be protected from such things. I've had a few shorts in my mods, but the batteries are usually fine as long as the short passes through the switch.

the eGos. Rivas, and the like don't have seperate protection per se...they use the mosfet as protection...so shorted atties kill the batteries.....scottbee has made numerous posts about that...

ANY atty or cartomizer can kill the eGo/Tornado/Riva battery. The basic battery design doesn't have a robust short-circuit protection.. and if the resistance of the atty or cartomizer drops much below 1.4Ω, the driver circuit (MOSFET) for the battery can/will fry.

I've had this happen with Boge cartomizers, regular 510 atomizers, and of course.. the LR atties.

But I do acknowledge that it appears to be more probable with the LR atties.

Last edited:

THE

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2008
USA
yeah alot of people use LR atties on eGo/Riva/Hello batteries...the whole 400mAh or better is misleading though...do you understand why they say that?
Truth is that any atty where the Amp draw that exceeds the max drain rate of the battery will kill it quicker...
and hate to break it to you but this is particularly true of LR atties..
the whole 400mAh that the vendors are quoting is all about battery life between charges and getting them to work at all...

if the max drain rate of the battery cant keep up with the amp draw of the atty at a given voltage you experience voltage sag (simplified explaination is the voltage drops to lower the amp draw to meet what the battery at max can supply) in lower mAh batteries that voltage sag is so considerable that the battery could function like it's at it's low voltage cutoff (thinks it's depleted)...
the truth is that the only batteries that can support a LR atty without damage to the battery in the long term are 18650s, and high drain 16340s or high drain 14500....eGos, rivas and the like are just on borrowed time...

the eGos. Rivas, and the like don't have seperate protection per se...they use the mosfet as protection...so shorted atties kill the batteries.....scottbee has made numerous posts about that...

Those batteries you've mentioned have a huge mah rating, don't they? In the low low ten thousands, yeah?? If it's putting a big hurt on these 650-900mah batteries people are using, how worried do I need to be about my 1300mah hello 016 if I try to use LR atomizers or carts??? On one hand, I will be twice the rating of an ego, half again the riva, but still nowhere near those "real" batteries..

I gather that LR carts are much less of a danger than LR atomizers... is that right?

I also understand that these bigger batteries .. elegant,ego,hello,riva .. NONE of them can stand being shorted, is that right?? Will LR cartomizers short the battery, do you think? I wouldn't think so, and they only go down to 2 rather than 1.2-1.7 like LR atomizers, but ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread