Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I accidentally installed one battery upside-down and now the box will only fire the right battery please help am I at any risk for explosion currently running one batt on left side only but would like to resume using 2

I think I would Hold Off using that mod until you get some Member Inputs.

What Brand/Type of mod are we talking About?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Uhhhhhh, yeeeeeah...

If this was a parallel (both positives and negatives seat the same way) unregulated you've just made it a single battery unit.

1) To me that married set is no longer a married set, one battery is now damaged, which ever you installed improperly
2) Battery sled or wiring is now also damaged, need to have the wiring and battery sled inspected, most likely safest way is to replace the whole sled, any mosfets, and have the wiring replaced and/or resoldered

If this is a series (one battery up, one battery down) unregulated the mod most likely wouldn't work, yet if it is, means the battery sled that is working is closest to the switch and mosfets and atomizer in the circuit, you are running on a single cell only so only voltage and such from a single cell. Same advice as above for the parallel configuration.

"DON'T RUN IT UNTIL YOU GET IT REPAIRED"

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Smy kung fu parallel the button momentarily lights up with battery in right side but doesn't fire inspected for burns melting solder broken connections nothing visually wrong
Which version do you have? According to FastTech customer reviews version 4 has a switch on the bottom which allows you to choose between series or parallel.

I'm not sure if you can visually tell if a circuit has been fried from a vented battery. If it was me, I wouldn't trust the mod any longer, its not worth the risk.

I wouldn't pair up the remaining good battery with another (marrying) battery either. Get two new identical batteries.

Reactions: IMFire3605

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So not ok to run as single batt unit? Running .25 alien Clapton dual coil on mutation x v4. Lgdbhg21865
You could, but I wouldn't. I tend to leave more safety headroom when I use sub-ohm coils. What battery are you using? What is its maximum continuous discharge rate (CDR)? If it is the chocolate LG HG2 it is a 20 amp CDR battery. You'd be pushing its limit at 0.25 ohm, and battery life would be dreadful at that resistance.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

The below calculations demonstrate that the lower you go in ohms the higher the amp requirement becomes. See how your 0.25 ohm coil will draw 16.8 amps from your battery. You are also putting a lot of faith into a cheap ohm reader in being precisely accurate to the tenth/hundreth of an ohm. Always tend to err on the side of safety when you make your builds by allowing some safety head room.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

It sounds like you have some damage to the mod regardless how it looks. Either get it repaired by an expert or purchase a new mod is my advice.

Last edited:

Vaper93

Sep 6, 2016
Which version do you have? According to FastTech customer reviews version 4 has a switch on the bottom which allows you to choose between series or parallel. I have the ve I think I have been running the same batteries in my god mod and all 3 discharge at same rate when I put 2 in my kung fu box only one discharges the second will be fully charged also have ran other lg batteries same story only one discharged are the batteries still safe to run my god mod

I'm not sure if you can visually tell if a circuit has been fried from a vented battery. If it was me, I wouldn't trust the mod any longer, its not worth the risk.

I wouldn't pair up the remaining good battery with another (marrying) battery either. Get two new identical batteries.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
One problem is there are several versions of the smy power device you're using and at least a dozen clone/copycat versions most with smy branding.

If it is an actual SMY kungfu parallel installing one battery in the wrong orientation will at least damage or usually destroy the unit.
Using it as a 1 battery device can easily become dangerous, because there is no telling what damage occurred when you installed the one battery incorrectly.
If it is the model that has the single battery operation select switch it has to be in the single battery position before pressing the fire button after removing one or installing a single battery.
It is not a way to keep using it / vaping after internal damage has occurred.

Sounds like yours has been malfunctioning since new, both batteries should discharge at a fairly even rate.
If it hasn't been discharging both cells very close to equally it has been over stressing one battery, I wouldn't trust any batteries you've used in it around my hands & face.

I would not press the fire button one more time, Or, if you just have to keep it & use it, get it repaired first (before using it at all) repair costs will likely exceed the original purchase price.
As far a fixing it goes, unless you gut it & start from scratch you'd need to have the ability to diagnose what is wrong with it first.
Since none of us know what actual model/version it is or if it is one of a dozen or so clones it's gonna be a guessing game.

Best to get a new power device & new batteries.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have the v1 i think... I have been running the same batteries in my god mod and all 3 discharge at same rate when I put 2 in my kung fu box only one discharges the second will be fully charged also have ran other lg batteries same story only one discharged are the batteries still safe to run my god mod
As long as they charge up to 4.2 volts, married batteries can be divorced and used in single battery mods safely. However, its common wisdom to not put those batteries into another married set again. You want married batteries to be the same make, model, and age when they become a married set.

Last edited:

Vaper93

Sep 6, 2016
One problem is there are several versions of the smy power device you're using and at least a dozen clone/copycat versions most with smy branding.

If it is an actual SMY kungfu parallel installing one battery in the wrong orientation will at least damage or usually destroy the unit.
Using it as a 1 battery device can easily become dangerous, because there is no telling what damage occurred when you installed the one battery incorrectly.
If it is the model that has the single battery operation select switch it has to be in the single battery position before pressing the fire button after removing one or installing a single battery.
It is not a way to keep using it / vaping after internal damage has occurred.

Sounds like yours has been malfunctioning since new, both batteries should discharge at a fairly even rate.
If it hasn't been discharging both cells very close to equally it has been over stressing one battery, I wouldn't trust any batteries you've used in it around my hands & face.

I would not press the fire button one more time, Or, if you just have to keep it & use it, get it repaired first (before using it at all) repair costs will likely exceed the original purchase price.
As far a fixing it goes, unless you gut it & start from scratch. you'd have to the ability to diagnose what is wrong with it first.
Since none of us know what actual model/version it is or if it is one of a dozen or so clones it's gonna be a guessing game.

Best to get a new power device & new batteries.
It's a v1 not a clone checked serial number online is it possible to use the box for a diy tc mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread