One Last Question About Glycerin USP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGOGX2222

Nov 7, 2017
Hey everyone i am hoping i can make my first batch of DIY e-juice tomorrow but i had one last concern about my glycerin usp.

I have purchased the glycerin from Shoppers Drug Mart and it is labeled " Life Brand Glycerin USP " the ingredients say the only thing in it is " Glycerin 100% v/v. "
It also states on the side of the bottle (For External Use Only, keep away from eyes and other mucous membranes) I have read in other forums that people actively use this as their VG base, and am just concerned because of the label if anyone can confirm that it is safe to vape it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: BrotherBob

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Hey everyone i am hoping i can make my first batch of DIY e-juice tomorrow but i had one last concern about my glycerin usp.

I have purchased the glycerin from Shoppers Drug Mart and it is labeled " Life Brand Glycerin USP " the ingredients say the only thing in it is " Glycerin 100% v/v. "
It also states on the side of the bottle (For External Use Only, keep away from eyes and other mucous membranes) I have read in other forums that people actively use this as their VG base, and am just concerned because of the label if anyone can confirm that it is safe to vape it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've eyeballed that stuff at Shoppers - I didn't buy it. It's just marked "Glycerin" which means it could be animal based or vegetable based. Either way it is marked "USP" so it's safe to vape. Most IDA drug stores carry USP Vegetable Glycerin, if that's an issue for you.

For future reference you can buy USP VG here: www.bestglycol.com

They are out of Montreal and have the best price on VG I've found yet. I buy mine in 4 liter jugs. :)

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Sounds like you got what you need. As long as the glycerin says USP (which means it meets US Purity standards) you are good to go.

Enjoy.

:)
ps. if it is too thick for your needs, you can always thin with around 10% distilled water.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
If it's USP (United States Pharmacopeia) , it's fine for vaping. If you want to use locally obtainable VG that's been tested by many vapers here on ECF, go to Walmart and buy Humco VG in the makeup department.

Humco Glycerin USP An Emollient & Demulcent, 6 fl oz - Walmart.com

I and many others use Essential Depot VG in quart sizes at Amazon. It's $12.97 for a quart, $23.47 for a gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Veg...511401762&sr=8-4&keywords=vegetable+glycerine

I think the OP is in Canada in which case Walmart does not sell VG here.

TGOGX2222

Nov 7, 2017
I've eyeballed that stuff at Shoppers - I didn't buy it. It's just marked "Glycerin" which means it could be animal based or vegetable based. Either way it is marked "USP" so it's safe to vape. Most IDA drug stores carry USP Vegetable Glycerin, if that's an issue for you.

They are out of Montreal and have the best price on VG I've found yet. I buy mine in 4 liter jugs. :)
Thank you!

TGOGX2222

Nov 7, 2017
Sounds like you got what you need. As long as the glycerin says USP (which means it meets US Purity standards) you are good to go.

Enjoy.

:)
ps. if it is too thick for your needs, you can always thin with around 10% distilled water.
Thanks, yes i am planning to use DW to thin it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think the OP is in Canada in which case Walmart does not sell VG here.

Amazon would be his best shot unless there's a local source. Amazon does ship to Canada. I think the surcharge is 49 cents per pound extra from what I read on Amazon's shipping charge page.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

While this is a true statement, according to WIKI animal fats are usually used in biodiesel fuels such as aviation fuel...... and the majority of gylcerin is produced from vegetables that go into things like shampoo, skin care, etc. for human use. I too always like to know where my vg is sourced from but sometimes without the manufactors help, you never can be totally sure. And honestly, they may not even know. If you really follow the science behind the making of glycerin, the end product, regardless of source, produces the exact same product. Its the human psyche that has the problem of where it originates.

TGOGX2222

Nov 7, 2017
If it's USP (United States Pharmacopeia) , it's fine for vaping. If you want to use locally obtainable VG that's been tested by many vapers here on ECF, go to Walmart and buy Humco VG in the makeup department.

Humco Glycerin USP An Emollient & Demulcent, 6 fl oz - Walmart.com

I and many others use Essential Depot VG in quart sizes at Amazon. It's $12.97 for a quart, $23.47 for a gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Glycerin-Veg...511401762&sr=8-4&keywords=vegetable+glycerine
Thanks. I don't know if we have that product at walmart in Canada but next time i go in there i will check!

Reactions: stols001

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
While this is a true statement, according to WIKI animal fats are usually used in biodiesel fuels such as aviation fuel...... and the majority of gylcerin is produced from vegetables that go into things like shampoo, skin care, etc. for human use. I too always like to know where my vg is sourced from but sometimes without the manufactors help, you never can be totally sure. And honestly, they may not even know. If you really follow the science behind the making of glycerin, the end product, regardless of source, produces the exact same product. Its the human psyche that has the problem of where it originates.

Yup, while I know that is generally the case I don't know the source that Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada here uses so I've chosen to pass on this product. There's lot's of options to buy VG - as I mentioned to the OP, most IDA drug stores in Canada sell it. :)

edit - I've yet to see a Walmart here in Canada that sells VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread