One person's starting out hints

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Let me start this out with saying that all of this is my personal opinion and experience (20/20 hindsight). It's not the only answer, it's only the one that I've experienced.

You've done a bunch of reading about all the devices that give you throat hit, vapor, long battery life, DIY being cheaper, etc. You're mind boggled.

IMO, when you first start out, you don't need to stress about what the best e-cig is for the long run. You need to get something that will be easy to deal with for the first couple months to get you started. There are 2 parts to this: mechanical device and juice

Mechanical device - Stay in your comfort zone and recognize that what you start out with, probably won't be what you'll be using 2 months from now. If you buy a successful setup for the first 2 months, store it, and change to something else afterwards, it will still be cheaper than smoking analogs, Starting out, you'll probably be much happier with something that is similar to a cigarette feel and habit, that you don't have to do alot of maintenance on. The easiest way of getting there (IMO) is to buy whatever it takes to get at least 4 super-mini's (for example 2 306 kits) and extra carts for them. This means you can load everything up one time a day, and vape all day on something that feels like an analog, without having to mess with topping off, charging, etc. When one e-cig dries up, just pull another out (like you'd pull cigs out of a pack) Worst case, you'll have to change out all the carts with the extras you've packed once or twice a day.

juice - Don't feel like you have to get tobacco flavors to satisfy the transition off of analogs...nothing is going to taste just like them, so you may be disappointed (and there are alot of tastier flavors). And don't try to do DIY in the beginning...you'll just get frustrated...keep it simple. Think about what tastes good to you (fruit? nuts? chocolate?). When all else fails, try something neutral (like vanilla). If you don't like the taste of what you've got, don't feel like you've got to vape it. It will be much cheaper, and healthier, in the long run (so you don't give up) to put that bottle in the back of the fridge for emergencies, and buy something else.

Just my 2 cents.
-Kathy

Murphysraven

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Seattle, WA
Good advice gr8dane!

I also recommend getting other flavors besides tobacco. When I tried my first e-cig (super-mini) I was very dissapointed at the taste of the "tobacco" ejuice and it almost turned me away from vaping. I love apple clove and cherry flavors.

It can be somewhat expencive to start out but try to look at the long term picture in terms of health and savings. Make yourself a list of pro's and con's. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do research. It's a learning experience.

Corki2

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
USA, TampaBay, FL
Let me start this out with saying that all of this is my personal opinion and experience (20/20 hindsight). It's not the only answer, it's only the one that I've experienced.

You've done a bunch of reading about all the devices that give you throat hit, vapor, long battery life, DIY being cheaper, etc. You're mind boggled.

IMO, when you first start out, you don't need to stress about what the best e-cig is for the long run. You need to get something that will be easy to deal with for the first couple months to get you started. There are 2 parts to this: mechanical device and juice

Mechanical device - Stay in your comfort zone and recognize that what you start out with, probably won't be what you'll be using 2 months from now. If you buy a successful setup for the first 2 months, store it, and change to something else afterwards, it will still be cheaper than smoking analogs, Starting out, you'll probably be much happier with something that is similar to a cigarette feel and habit, that you don't have to do alot of maintenance on. The easiest way of getting there (IMO) is to buy whatever it takes to get at least 4 super-mini's (for example 2 306 kits) and extra carts for them. This means you can load everything up one time a day, and vape all day on something that feels like an analog, without having to mess with topping off, charging, etc. When one e-cig dries up, just pull another out (like you'd pull cigs out of a pack) Worst case, you'll have to change out all the carts with the extras you've packed once or twice a day.

Juice - Don't feel like you have to get tobacco flavors to satisfy the transition off of analogs...nothing is going to taste just like them, so you may be disappointed (and there are alot of tastier flavors). And don't try to do DIY in the beginning...you'll just get frustrated...keep it simple. Think about what tastes good to you (fruit? nuts? chocolate?). When all else fails, try something neutral (like vanilla). If you don't like the taste of what you've got, don't feel like you've got to vape it. It will be much cheaper, and healthier, in the long run (so you don't give up) to put that bottle in the back of the fridge for emergencies, and buy something else.

Just my 2 cents.
-Kathy

Great post Kathy. Sums it up quite nicely. I wish I would have read this when I started. :)

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Great post Kathy. Sums it up quite nicely. I wish I would have read this when I started.
Thanks Corki. Wish I'd have read this when I started, too:D

Good advice gr8dane!
It can be somewhat expencive to start out but try to look at the long term picture in terms of health and savings.

Thanks Murphy. And you're right, at first blush, it does appear to cost alot to get started (we've all been there). But when you roll the numbers out, it really doesn't. I know I'm preaching to the choir with you, but for the new guys just starting out:

2 months of analogs @1pack a day, 5$ a pack = $300

2 306 kits - $100
2 extra attys - $22 (not necessary, but a precaution)
4 packs blank carts - $20
snazzy cig case to carry them around in - $8
Total = $150

That leaves you $150 to spend on trying out juices (i.e. 15 x 15ml bottles or more sample size bottles) to break even with what you were spending on 1 pack a day. If you're a 2 pack a day smoker, and you cut back to smoking 1 pack a day, you're still breaking even.

youngll11

ECF Veteran
Great post!!! I really wish I had read this before I got my first kit three dys ago. I tried the straw cart mod on my first day of vaping, only to melt some platic, melt some fibers, and make my atty taste awful. Trying to fix everything now, and I've decided to just stick to the easy stuff, no mods, no DIY carts (until absolutely necessary). The original post should be read by every newcomer. Thanks again

cedarisle

May 26, 2009
Florida
Interesting. I went a little crazy, but really wanted to get off analogs. My start up consisted of:

Blu $60
myvaporstore $197
jc $26

I was smoking 1.5 pks per day of Marlboro reds, $3.50 per pack. Will go to $4.50 on July 1. $172. per month for analogs.

I'll recoup everything within 2 months. I haven't purchased any analogs since I received my first shipment. The annual savings will be substantial and I'm enjoying vaping more than smoking, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread