Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
So another milestone in my vaping journey today! About 3 months since I started vaping (and since my last cig). Went to one of the local B&M's today to pick up a couple replacement cartos to hold me over in my cheapie starter tank till my vapemail comes (a few new VVV tanks should be here Tuesday), and as usual was perusing the display case, just passing time and chatting with the owner. There it was, for about $13 bucks. My first RDA. The Octopus. I know, I've seen it cheaper online, but still not breaking the bank, and I figured, what the heck, I'll give it a shot! I've never dripped, let alone rebuilt a coil, but I've done plenty of reading and research here on ECF, youtube, etc. Sitting here right now, dripping away with a grin and a bottle of Sweet Mother of Mercury from Moon Mountain, and loving every minute of it! :vapor: I love these little vaping rites of passage, adds so much to the experience! Looking forward to learning the ropes of wrapping coils, and I'm sure the wonderful folks here, who have been so helpful in the past, will be there to hold my hand while I figure things out.

IMG_0056.jpg

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Congratulations CrimsonJack, 3 months in - that is a big win right there.

They say that once you drip, you never go back - and they are right. I've put all my clearo's (except for 1 EVOD) into semi-retirement since I got an IGO-L, some 510 attys and a bottom feeder.

Wrapping a coil for an RDA is in many ways easier than doing one for an EVOD or a vivi nova. There is more space for the coil and more room on the deck for messing with it to get it to fire properly. Just pick up some wire from Temco, some wick from PBDragon and go for it. It's good you have a nice coil made for you so you have something to compare yours to.

Just remember to vape safe my friend.

Last edited:

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Congratulations CrimsonJack, 3 months in - that is a big win right there.

They say that once you drip, you never go back - and they are right. I've put all my clearo's (except for 1 EVOD) into semi-retirement since I got an IGO-L, some 510 attys and a bottom feeder.

Wrapping a coil for an RDA is in many ways easier than doing one for and EVOD or a vivi nova. There is more space for the coil and more room on the deck for messing with it to get it to fire properly. Just pick up some wire from Temco, some wick from PBDragon and go for it. It's good you have a nice coil made for you so you have something to compare yours to.

Just remember to vape safe my friend.

Oh, definitely will! I've been paying attention to various threads about building coils, I don't really see a need to go for sub-ohm, at least not in the near future, and I'll pick up a multimeter to make sure anything I make is good to go.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Oh, definitely will! I've been paying attention to various threads about building coils, I don't really see a need to go for sub-ohm, at least not in the near future, and I'll pick up a multimeter to make sure anything I make is good to go.

Hah, I hate to be the reason for more spending, but if you get a mod, like a vamo, or zmax, it will read your resistance to you as long as it is over 1.2 ohms.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Hah, I hate to be the reason for more spending, but if you get a mod, like a vamo, or zmax, it will read your resistance to you as long as it is over 1.2 ohms.

Just be aware that the "ohm meter" in a mod/APV is not particularly accurate. I find that my Zmax is often off by .1 to .3 ohms compared to the posted resistance. The same coil can read differently from button press to button press.

theinlawjosie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2013
The Bluegrass State
I've been dripping exclusively for a few weeks now (I do have a couple of pro-tanks and iclear 30's that I still use, but haven't recently) and I love it! I have four of the Smoktech Octopus' and I love 'em! I also have an IGO-L and a Nimbus clone that are both very nice. I don't know if you have seen GrimmGreen's video on the Octopus, but if you plug the airflow hole at the base of the deck and drill out a hole on the upper most recessed ring, it improves the performance quite a bit. I just used a drill bit to do it by hand - they are made of soft aluminum.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole

My SID will read ohms, but you have to fire it to get it to read, and that makes me a little nervous about testing my first coils on it. No big, though, I don't mind dropping $20 on a multimeter if it's something I'm going to use regularly.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I've been dripping exclusively for a few weeks now (I do have a couple of pro-tanks and iclear 30's that I still use, but haven't recently) and I love it! I have four of the Smoktech Octopus' and I love 'em! I also have an IGO-L and a Nimbus clone that are both very nice. I don't know if you have seen GrimmGreen's video on the Octopus, but if you plug the airflow hole at the base of the deck and drill out a hole on the upper most recessed ring, it improves the performance quite a bit. I just used a drill bit to do it by hand - they are made of soft aluminum.

Haven't seen that yet, I'll definitely check it out.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
First of all- the Pats can bite me. :p

Second of all- congrats man! Taking that step to a Rebuildable, and dripping is pretty fun and flavorful. I just went to a mech mod and a couple of small rda's recently and have been loving my coils in them.

If you haven't already read this thread, you gotta give it a read. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...271-micro-coils-increase-vapor-flavor-th.html Those guys know what they're doing, and the cotton wicks don't need to be ordered from anywhere. End of a q-tip, cotton ball, or rolled cotton from CVS and you are ready to rock. Super easy and really performs.

I've got a 9 wrap 28gauge Kanthal micro coil in both my IGO-L and my V5 (both from Fasttech) and they read out at 1 ohm and 1.1 ohm respectively.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I'll check it out, but I don't think either of my current devices will run something that low. I know my SID won't, and I'm not positive about the MVP, but I'm thinking it probably won't, either. I'm planning on getting a mechanical eventually, just to see what the fuss is all about, but that's down the road a little bit.

23skidoo

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
Southern CA
No worries, use a smaller gauge wire (higher number like 30 or 32 gauge) and shoot for a higher ohms rating that will work on what ya got. Those micro coils are super versatile.

Enjoy what you got running now, and when it's time to wrap your own coil I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. The coils aren't hard to make no matter which kind you choose try a couple of options and see what you like best. I think it's fun reading about and trying the differ options out there.

I have an MVP, and if you want me to I could put my 1ohm build on it and see if it'll fire it, I'd be happy to.

Edit- Curiosity got the best of me- The MVP fired both 1 and 1.1 ohm drippers at 4 volts and lower with no issues. I didn't go higher than that on the voltage because it seems unnecessary to me and honestly that is pulling 4~ amps already. I know my mech batteries can handle that safely, but I'm relying on the MVP's protection circuitry and I'm not as comfortable with that. It will fire them though.

Last edited:

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
No worries, use a smaller gauge wire (higher number like 30 or 32 gauge) and shoot for a higher ohms rating that will work on what ya got. Those micro coils are super versatile.

Enjoy what you got running now, and when it's time to wrap your own coil I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. The coils aren't hard to make no matter which kind you choose try a couple of options and see what you like best. I think it's fun reading about and trying the differ options out there.

I have an MVP, and if you want me to I could put my 1ohm build on it and see if it'll fire it, I'd be happy to.

If you don't mind taking the time, I would definitely like to know if it'll do it! Be nice to know whether or not I need a new device to try low ohm vaping when I'm ready to try building 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread