One thing leads to another -- and another ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
So yesterday with some time on my hands I set out to diagnose a little something.

For the last month I've been jumping around trying different set-ups trying to get every REO vaping equally as awesome.
And to be honest until yesterday I had wished I just left well enough alone and was getting very tired of all the rebuilding going on.

First off during all the screwing around I discovered that the REO I picked up the most was whatever one had my only RM2 on top :) And for that month the RM2 has been wearing the same micro coil with just the cotton being swapped out.

So suddenly errr well over 3 months maybe my least favorite set-up has now become my favorite set up :D

My two woodvils with Chalice attys just haven't been doing it for me. Over the month both of them have had regular coils with silica and ekowool and micro coils with silica and cotton. I couldn't get the cotton tasting right on them and at first thought it was the juice ..... but when juice got switched around I realized its the Chalice that didn't like the cotton.

So I took stock of the difference between the two.
The chalice does not have enough room to run a coil across the posts .... It needs a Z diagonal coil that places it in the center. Not much I can do about that.

The chalice also comes stock with a much smaller air hole.... I never felt the need to drill it out on either of mine.
Well that I can change....
Off to the shop grab the #set of drills and without getting a magnifier to read sizes I go down the line and pick the first one that fits in the RM2 air hole.
Drill out Chalice #1 ........ OMG vape went to crap and I though I killed it. Then I remember the setup in there is almost 2 ohms with silica. Rebuild it with a 1.3 ohm micro and cotton ...... Wowzers .... cough cough

I tell the little voice my head saying "wait on drilling out the second one.... wait" to take a hike
2 minutes later Chalice #2 is drilled out ..... vape on that one is MEH.... So the 1.6 ohm micro with silica comes out of that one and a 1.2 ohm micro with cotton goes in .... Holy freakin WOWZERS ..... cough cough cough cough (ahh this REO has 18mg and the other is 12mg) So I pull out my DIY juice dump it back into the 50ml bottle and cut it all down to about 11mg. Now were back to Wowzers with just a cough cough .... Just the way I like it.

Today is going to be a pretty good day I have top notch vapes sitting all over the place.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
The thumb screws are a pain too. If you use a screwdriver on them you run the risk of breaking off one of the teeth.

Having just rebuilt both an RM2 (with 28 ga, 11 wraps around .055" mold 1.30 ohms) and a chalice with 29 ga like 15 wraps and more than enough resistance for my VVWoodvil, I detest the process of rebuilding the chalice.

I truly enjoy rebuilding the RM2.

I got 3 in rotation too: VVWOODVIL with chalice, 18490 woodvil with RM2 and grand with RM2. They all are sublime :)

Great share Tim. :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Its never the atomizer its always the set up . I see people claiming one atty is better then the other the truth is Its always a user era . There are some differences but any rba I have come across can be tweaked to putt out massive clouds with great flavor . From a cheap era clone to a chalice they all can produce excellent results if set up properly .

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
On a related note, my old school Grand with an ERA was hit & miss with vape quality over the past few days. It behaved as it normally does when one of the little allen screws inside the ERA isn't snug enough to secure the coil. I double checked those connections and it was still vaping hit & miss. So I removed the door and pressed the fire button while observing the fire pin making contact with the battery, and sure enough... sparkage. I cleaned the fire pin and the positive pole of my battery with a cotton swab dipped in 99% isopropyl alcohol, slathered a dab of noalox on the positive pole of the battery, popped it back in, and voilà! Perfect performance with every button press. It took less than a minute to correct the problem.

It's funny how the little details can make or break how well our Reos perform. Luckily, they're all pretty easy to manage.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Its never the atomizer its always the set up . I see people claiming one atty is better then the other the truth is Its always a user era . There are some differences but any rba I have come across can be tweaked to putt out massive clouds with great flavor . From a cheap era clone to a chalice they all can produce excellent results if set up properly .

Yeah, but I really think the ceramic base of the RM2 gives it an edge over the others. Considering its origins I'm a little surprised but for use with the Reo I think the the RM2 is top porcupine. (That said...my Cyclone with dual coils and AFC...OMG).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread