The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Only Fox 'news' could dream this up.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by oxygen thief, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. oxygen thief

oxygen thief Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
  2. Iffy

Iffy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Florida Suncoast
    "The findings, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, add to the debate about the risks and benefits of electronic cigarettes, the increasingly popular devices that deliver nicotine directly without burning tobacco."

BTW, luv your appropriate nomer... [​IMG]

3. Stacy1

Stacy1 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2014
    Brunswick,GA,USA
    Well I couldn't resist. I had to read the article, and all I can say is WOW. The short version of the point they are making is.... if you use e-cigs or any other means of getting nic, and then you do ......., you are more apt to become addicted to ....... than someone who doesn't use nicotine, and that if steps arent taken now to prevent the children from getting this nicotine, the next generation will be nothing more than a bunch of drug addicts. I wonder how many of my tax dollars funded such a BS study. Someone remind me, how many years now have people used nicotine in one form or another??

4. Sgt.Rock

Sgt.Rock Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2014
    The Poconos
    So...Fox News now owns New England Journal of Medicine now?

Dude..your tinfoil hat needs replacing...it's broken.

5. celticluvr

celticluvr Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    This is bull boloney! I said the same thing about stinkies... It isn't a gateway drug!!!!!:mad: I started smoking at the age of 11 and by the age of 15 or 16, I was offered the green stuff... Said no thank you and walked away. I was asked plenty more times never tried anything because I never had the desire but I loved my ciggies! Grrr can sheeple get any dumber?:facepalm:

6. JimmyDB

JimmyDB Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2014
    Yes, one item can lead to another, however I don't think that applies to cigarettes or vaping leading to prolonged use of anything else.

The gateway drug scenario plays out very well when something that isn't that bad is demonized. Then when someone DECIDES to try this unnecessarily demonized thing, and they discover they have been lied to... they may DECIDE to try other demonized things expecting they were also lied to about those things. I firmly believe this is the leading cause of people moving from green stuff to hard stuff. "Oh, that wasn't so bad... I'll ask for something a little ?better? next time, maybe something I can hide better and that doesn't have such a recognizable smell..."

The lesson... be fair and honest about things, especially with your kids. If you tell them drinking a beer is the end-all or rank it with freebasing coke, then if/when they discover it's not so bad to enjoy a beer... then they may start to come to their own conclusions about other things. This is an extreme analogy, and there is plenty of proof that certain other things are very very bad... but a lot of people have the "that will never happen to me" mentality.

I don't think something being a gateway item should actually be considered inherently BAD. It really depends on each situation. It still boils down to someone DECIDING much of the time. I admit though, with rock hard drugs, the addiction may start as a snort, and when they kind find something to snort it can lead to injection. That's a different scenario though that I think a lot of studies don't take in to consideration. You can't BLAME the CAUSE of a progression on association alone. There are circumstances. You also shouldn't knock that someone TRIED something, what matters is CONTINUED USE.

I think it's more important to try to look at, understand and correct the REASON someone makes such DECISIONS.

Also, people tend to take the opinions of their peers into consideration... sadly, weeding out those with bad opinions or that make bad decisions in general can take a while to learn.

7. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Because Fox News is a Pillar of Unbiased and Factual Reporting, I was surprised that they somehow forgot to Include a Link to the Study they so Conclusively based their Conclusions on.

Here it is...

www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1405092

8. xena222

xena222 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2014
    PA
    LOL...fox news...enough said in my book - I watch that when I want to laugh at things :D
    This is the part that I couldn't believe:
    "Electronic cigarettes are now a $3 billion business with 466 brands that include candy flavoring and are increasingly popular among children, according to the World Health Organization."
    Huh?? I have yet to see any child with an ecig - I have two of my own, including a 17 year old...he doesn't seem very interested to me, and he doesn't want to smoke either...the kids who are going to smoke are going to get cigarettes, I wish not one more kid would ever pick up a smoke - when I was them, I would have never believed what the long term consequences were.
    I guess according to Fox News, i should be jonesing for other drugs about now?? Umm, no...thanks for your "fair and balanced" info - LMAO!!

9. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
  10. JRIP

JRIP Senior Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Fox News > CNN

Any day.

11. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
  12. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Fox News > CNN = Shot in the Leg 4 Times > Shot in the Leg 5 Times.

Lesser of Two Evils.

13. xena222

Jun 18, 2014
    PA
    The problem is is that with the current looming FDA regulations...they last posted anything good over 5 months ago (and basically all opinions by one reporter), the newest news (this month) is suddenly all negative?? I don't like CNN either, LOL...but IMHO, Fox News has always been in the pocket of the rich...now that ecigs threaten govt taxation, big Tobacco and Pharmaceuticals and the FDA gets involved, I am just waiting to see what happens...will they still be supportive? Hmmm...

Sorry, I know I am a noob, LOL, so I wouldn't have seen the prior coverage unless you pointed it out :D But I don't trust their coverage of well, almost anything....

14. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Maybe so, but can you imagine any other network allowing one of their reporters to express such opinions? He wasn't exactly delicate with 'em either.

15. xena222

Jun 18, 2014
    PA
    No probably not...I don't watch a lot of network anything..LOL!! I am just waiting to see what they do now....but I don't agree with any of their quoting on their new "facts"...all news and media outlets bend things to their own side, .do you think they will still have him come back and support ecigs after that article? I think as long as the major corporations say they are hurting business, Fox news will only report what they want to hear - it would be wonderful for the world to have one actually fair and balanced opinion...

16. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    "Why Should I Print the Truth? When Lies Sell More Newspapers."
    Rupert Murdoch

17. xena222

Jun 18, 2014
    PA
    LOL, exactly....it's like saying if it is on the internet, it must be true :D

18. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    This is one of My Favorites. So Much So, I gave a Framed Print of this to Someone I used to Work with.

[​IMG]

19. xena222

Jun 18, 2014
    PA
    That couldn't be more true...it becomes politics or policy :) If Fox news (not to pick on just them :D ) or anywhere for that matter repeats false, changed parts of scientific reports, and gets the majority of people to believe them - we as vapers are going to be in a very bad way in the future - that is my biggest fear right now :(

20. buildabane

buildabane Senior Member

Sep 11, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I dunno guys....Fox news has provided nothing but reliable, factual information in it's reporting thus far. I guess I am going to have to re-think e-cigs. :facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.