OOPS . . . . . thought I was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So, I just quickly wanted to try something. It was pretty easy. I turned my drill press into a mini-lathe. I'll do some pics on that soon if folks are interested.

I had NO THOUGHT of shape or prettiness. So don't be dissin' the ungraceful form. I was just playing with tooling and "how to". Now I know "how to" ;), and I can start thinkin' about form. :)

This here is Maple Burl wood.

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
KAY . . . . .SOOOO . . . . I think I got the tooling and technique worked out! This one is actually not half bad! Well, the tooling is a bit "grab whatcha got" . .. .

(pssssst, Dennis . . . .↑)

better?

. . . . .. . right? :p

gonna start with bigger blanks next time, that bottom hip is too small.

Last edited:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
uh-huh . . . . . . . . .

But it sure is fun & I don't regret every paycheck I dumped into the hobby. Heck I even gave up buying a new truck to get into it.

MINI-LATHE, MINI-LATHE, MINI-LATHE...... just hoping you might hear that while your sleeping. I can send you subliminal messages on tapes. You still have a cassette player, I do. Start turning! Ok I'll stop now.....until next time. ;)

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
I'm just using wood from around the shop. This stuff was already squared off into a nice little block. I'd really like to make some out of owl pellets. :|

or, better still, those fermented Korean mung beans that Dennis sent me. :)

Ms. Cho is doing sub-ohms already...

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
TBH I do have a proper wood lathe (of course), but it's not set up for this miniature crap. I don't think a man's supposed to have a mini lathe and turn pens for all his friends until he's over 58 yrs old or something. (Yeah, there's a rule like that, I just don't remember exactly). If I'm actually still interested in this in a couple days, I'll be setting up the proper lathe (pro'ly need a special chuck, and a special tool rest at least).

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Nice! I don't know much about wood lathes as in terms of if a larger lathe can handle smaller work, vise versa. I just say mini lathe cause it would be the deciding factor whether someone would really like the hobby or decide not to without dumping a lot of money into it.

I bought a metal mini-lathe cause it was dirt cheap. I knew I always wanted one but really didn't know. After I got it & spent the first months modding it I knew it was what I wanted to play with. Only took me 8 months to out grow it. I sure do miss it & I learned a lot on it but it was just a toy. For metal, you can turn smaller stuff with a larger lathe (but not too large) but you obviously can't turn large things on a small lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread