Opinion/Help? on eJuice tasting sweet on itself but almost flat when vaped

Status
Not open for further replies.

-iNoob-

Dec 5, 2019
Hi, noobie diy’er here. I hope this is the right subforum for this topic/help.

Been DIY’ing my juice for about 3 weeks now.

I made an ejuice which I was a bit surprised to have tasted very nice when I tried it as it is. It has a good sweet flavor and the smell was good also.

However when I vaped it, it tasted almost bland and is not at all the same from what is taste like when I tasted the actual ejuice on my hands.

My recipe is: 1 mL PG/16 mL VG/1.4 mL Cap Sweet Strawberry/0.6 mL Cap Double Apple/0.2 mL Cap Mint/0.4 mL Sucralose/0.2 mL Cap Golden Pineapple/0.2 mL Ethyl Maltol

All the flavors are PG based.

20 mL is the final product, 80/20 VGPG.

I fast steep it twice in warm water before vaping.

For my mod I’m using VandyVape Pulse BF 90W with Drop Solo RDA single coil. vaping at 50 and 70W. New cotton from Cotton Bacon during tasting.

Any idea why it taste so good when tasted as it is but almost bland when vaped?

Please help. Thank you.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi, noobie diy’er here. I hope this is the right subforum for this topic/help.

Been DIY’ing my juice for about 3 weeks now.

I made an ejuice which I was a bit surprised to have tasted very nice when I tried it as it is. It has a good sweet flavor and the smell was good also.

However when I vaped it, it tasted almost bland and is not at all the same from what is taste like when I tasted the actual ejuice on my hands.

My recipe is: 1 mL PG/16 mL VG/1.4 mL Cap Sweet Strawberry/0.6 mL Cap Double Apple/0.2 mL Cap Mint/0.4 mL Sucralose/0.2 mL Cap Golden Pineapple/0.2 mL Ethyl Maltol

All the flavors are PG based.

20 mL is the final product, 80/20 VGPG.

I fast steep it twice in warm water before vaping.

For my mod I’m using VandyVape Pulse BF 90W with Drop Solo RDA single coil. Vaping at 50 and 70W. New cotton from Cotton Bacon during tasting.

Any idea why it taste so good when tasted as it is but almost bland when vaped?

Please help. Thank you.
Hi and welcome,
IMO,
Don't fast steep. I find the heat degrades some flavours.
Skip the sweetener/additives: too much is worse than not enough.
You forgot to add nicotine. If you are trying to avoid cigarettes, vaping 0mg/ml may not be the best course of action.

What coil are you using in the Solo? Ω, wire type, coil style, wraps, ID, spaced or contact?
How long did you smoke and how many per day?

Cheers
I

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

-iNoob-

Dec 5, 2019
Hi and welcome,
IMO,
Don't fast steep. I find the heat degrades some flavours.
Skip the sweetener/additives: too much is worse than not enough.
You forgot to add nicotine. If you are trying to avoid cigarettes, vaping 0mg/ml may not be the best course of action.

What coil are you using in the Solo? Ω, wire type, coil style, wraps, ID, spaced or contact?
How long did you smoke and how many per day?

Cheers
I

Hi, yes totally forgot to mention those. Thank you for your response. A lot of threads and you're the only one who replied-even posted on reddit.

I do have some batches that I made which is the same scenario. I didn't fast steep those batches but it does taste great but close to bland when vaped. And these NOT steeped batches, I only put 2 drops of sucralose and no ethyl maltol. Basically the same ingredients, but not steeped and no maltol and only 2 drops sucralose.

Also I did not put nicotine, it's a bit hard to come by from where I'm from. (Is that necessary for the flavor to pop - like store bought?) because even store bought juices I use no-nic. I was smoking before for couple years and started out with nicotine at 6mg, down to 3mg and for couple months now, no nicotine and cigarette free. :)

For the vape, I'm enjoying vaping really, so I decided to have a go on making my own ejuice instead of buying them-and here I am.

For my rda I'm using claptons, spaced, 3mm, 4 wraps, 26/34. Reading .24ohms, vaping at mostly 55 to maximum 75W.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi, yes totally forgot to mention those. Thank you for your response. A lot of threads and you're the only one who replied-even posted on reddit.

I do have some batches that I made which is the same scenario. I didn't fast steep those batches but it does taste great but close to bland when vaped. And these NOT steeped batches, I only put 2 drops of sucralose and no ethyl maltol. Basically the same ingredients, but not steeped and no maltol and only 2 drops sucralose.

Also I did not put nicotine, it's a bit hard to come by from where I'm from. (Is that necessary for the flavor to pop - like store bought?) because even store bought juices I use no-nic. I was smoking before for couple years and started out with nicotine at 6mg, down to 3mg and for couple months now, no nicotine and cigarette free. :)

For the vape, I'm enjoying vaping really, so I decided to have a go on making my own ejuice instead of buying them-and here I am.

For my rda I'm using claptons, spaced, 3mm, 4 wraps, 26/34. Reading .24ohms, vaping at mostly 55 to maximum 75W.
Plain old time and steeping is your friend here. Another thing to keep in mind is all the Cap flavors you posted already have sweetener added so the sucralose and em are likely muting the flavors rather than enhancing them.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Many sites are populated by US based users. Most of them are still asleep. :nun:
Hmmm... frustrating
Are you trying to recreate a store bought/retail juice?
Is the flavour muted or just weak?
Have you tried your flavours as stand alone mixes to find a base percentage for each?

I find using a mixture of strawberry flavours from different brands helps to deliver my expectation of a "strawberry" accent flavour. I like tend to do a 2 to 1 ratio of Cap sweet Straw to TFA Strawberry ripe, I also like FA strawberry (red fruit?) and INA strawberry shisha depending on my base flavour notes.
I was smoking before for couple years and started out with nicotine at 6mg, down to 3mg and for couple months now, no nicotine and cigarette free. :)
:thumbs::thumbs: Great job!
No nicotine needed!

You may find trying different coil materials:SS, kanthal, Ni80 to change your flavour a bit.
Have you experimented with a 2.5 mm or 3.5mm or 4mm coil?
You may also need to work on your wicking, if it is too tight or too loose you may not be getting the best flavour from your build.
Different brands of cotton/rayon may also contribute to tweaking your build to flavour perfection.

Do you have another device you can use to test the juice you made?
Do you have a friend that could try your juice in their set up to see how it performs?

HTH
I

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
@-iNoob- all of the above advice is spot on. All I would add is it's important to only change one thing at a time so you know which change helped. I usually start with coil size, then coil type, then wicking. Once you get the hit right then you'll have a better platform to test and evaluate your mixes.

Reactions: Izan

-iNoob-

Dec 5, 2019
Are you trying to recreate a store bought/retail juice?

Is the flavour muted or just weak?

Have you tried your flavours as stand alone mixes to find a base percentage for each?

Have you experimented with a 2.5 mm or 3.5mm or 4mm coil?

Do you have another device you can use to test the juice you made?
Do you have a friend that could try your juice in their set up to see how it performs?

HTH
I

Hi, thank you for your response.
I am not trying to recreate a store bought one, but I would love to have a good tasting ejuice :)
I have not tried the stand alone mixes, if you could please tell me how to do that?
I did tried with 2.5mm on a Druga kit. Still the same.
It wasn't muted, just close to being blant, like I taste a little of it during exhale and it was not at all sweet, no lingering taste on my mouth too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread