opinions on mod choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaporAdam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
Upstate,NY
I just started vaping a little over a week ago and have already quit analogs altogether. I have a joye 510 which does the job but i am looking for a device (for at home) that will deliver an easier draw then my 510 and has more power, preferably a pv that does 3.7 and 5v. There are so many mods and im sure everyone has there own opinion on the best, but i would at least like some opinions on there favorite pv. Battery life is very important to me for this device also, 8 hours or more would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
ViZi's comprehensive eCigarette-Mods Database is the definitive guide to mods. The Battery Chart portion is especially useful for identifying the mods that work at particular voltages, e.g., 3.7V or 5V.

There are two types of multi-voltage mods: fine-tune adjustable (without changing batteries) and those able to accept different battery combinations. At this time, the Buzz is the only example of the former. Examples of the latter include: XHaler (the only one with a 5V option) and all those shown that accept both the 2x CR123A (6V) and the 18650 (3.7V) configurations. [NOTE: The 6V configuration, although possible, is not recommended by some of the suppliers.]

Another (and, I believe, safer) option is a 3.7V mod used with either regular atomizers or LR atomizers ("simulate 5V" vaping). Stacking batteries (necessary for all 5V+ mods) increases risk, although some mods are designed with safety features to ameliorate that.

Moving up from the 180 mAh of the 510 battery, you will appreciate the vaping time of any 3.7V mod using at least a 14500 (750-900 mAh) battery, but the 18650 (up to 3000 mAh) will keep you going all day and night, no matter how heavily you vape. Also all these batteries are true 3.7V. [See my comments below about the significance of that.]

As for which is best: that is in the eye of the beholder. They come in all shapes, sizes, weights, button positions, materials, finishes, designs, and costs. A Carlos Juice Box looks and feels totally different from a Precise.

Another direction to go is with what I call the "Fat Batts", i.e., the eGO/Tornado, Absolute MaxX/T-Rex, Riva, and Hello 016 – all designed for use with the 510 atomizer. Since these are unique batteries rather than housings for generic batteries, they are not mods ... and they are smaller. They range in mAh from 650 to 1300 and I've listed them in ascending order. The eGO/Tornado and Riva are the same puny 3.2V as the 510 battery; the Absolute MaxX and T-Rex are true 3.7V (i.e., max 4.2V fully charged). I'm not yet clear what the true voltage of the Hello 016 is.

Last edited:

K.P.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2008
United Kingdom
The Mako Maksi from Smokejuice comes with a 5volt battery but can also accept a very large 3.7volt battery. At the moment the 5volt battery requires a special charger (included) that has a UK plug. You would need to contact Smokejuice or the Mako's US distributors (one and two) to see if you can use the special charger in the US with some sort of adapter. There is discussion of this device (including some reviews) in the Smokejuice subforum.

Here is a video review of the Maksi

(I don't have one, but am getting one fairly soon)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread