• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Opinions on XBOX Kinect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keveck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
aaa
Yea, I'm waiting til I try it before I would even consider buying it. You would still need a controller to do certain games too. First person shooters simply would not work without a controller.

And the playstation move looks WAY to silly with it's colored orbs for me to consider it. I don't see why they couldn't have made them smaller (the orbs) and less like an ice cream cone.

Simply put, the wii still will have the best motion controls in most games. Not all, but most. 360 will have the advantage in exercise/dance/SOME sports games...that's all I can see that would work better.

Move might have better precision than wii, but it's hard to tell. They had quite a few control problems at e3. Nintendo did during their conference, but everything I've read stated that it was from some sort of interference, and the actual gameplay on the floor was spectacular.

marclap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Montreal, Qc, Canada
And the playstation move looks WAY to silly with it's colored orbs for me to consider it. I don't see why they couldn't have made them smaller (the orbs) and less like an ice cream cone.

Actually, it's not there only for the look. The camera tracks the glowing ball and then calculates to place it in a three-dimentional space, giving the game exact positions. That's what the Wii can't do.
I'm not a Sony fanboy, as I don't own a PS3 yet, but I might consider buying it when the System+Move bundle gets released.

Kinect seems good. One of the problems I see is that there's a slight delay (about .6 or .7 sec) which is completely understandable but it might be a little bit akward in some situations. I guess i'll judge by myself when I'll get to try it. Also, I just hope my roommate won't start saying "Xbox, Pause" while I'll be watching a movie... :evil:

keveck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
aaa
Actually, it's not there only for the look. The camera tracks the glowing ball and then calculates to place it in a three-dimentional space, giving the game exact positions. That's what the Wii can't do.

I don't want to start any trouble or flaming or any of that crap. I don't want this new group to get off to a bad start. I respect your opinion and want to add this:

I knew this, but I was wondering why it had to be so large...it seems like the camera would be able to track a moving independently colored orb regardless of how big it was. Maybe not though, I'm no engineer.

And a little known fact: The wii already has a camera tracking system. That "sensor bar" is just a infrared light source and the actual wiimote contains a small low resolution camera that compares differences in movement very quickly. That's just used for the pointer though. The wiimote also tracks things in 3 dimensional space with the motionplus thinger. Two gyroscopes and an accelerometer, I believe. It's pretty accurate, actually. Obviously, I've never been able to properly compare it to the move though.

I don't mean to come off as a nintendo fanboy either. It's just the only console I have right now, and it's the one I read news about most.

And I didn't know the kinect had such a long response delay! One of the launch games is going to be a racing game too, right? That seems like it won't work very well.

marclap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Don't worry, there's no flaming here :) :toast:
I don't know what's the resolution of the camera itself, but it also tracks the size of the ball to get the distance. So if it would be considerably smaller, I guess the camera couldn't track it very well. Bigger object makes bigger tracking data. But yeah, I don't find it really appealing too. At first, I tought it was kind of new singstar's microphone or a dirty toy :blink:

For the wii, yes it tracks the position of the remote in X and Y position relative to the sensor bar, but it doesn't get the depth of the movement. The Motion Plus helps with that, but then again, it gets most of its information out of the rotation of the controller.

Now, Kinect. Yes they showed a racing game at E3 sooner this week. Seems "OK" to me. That's a particular situation where I think the delay could be a problem. Doing a quick turn with a delay might lead in a wall IMO. Oh and it seems that you can't really control gaz and brake, you just turn. :glare: It can be fun to play those party games they'll release, but I don't think I'll end up killing zombies with this thing ahah.

Sorry, I love this kind of discussion! I've worked in a video game store for 2 years.

However, I'll def. buy a PS3, that's the only "next-gen" system missing under my TV. Maybe I should sell one of my xbox system and put the money on a ps3.

keveck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
aaa
I guess that makes sense about the ball. It does look like a "toy". :)

I'm definitely considering a PS3 over a 360. I used to have a 360 and I sold it because I didn't really use it after I quit xbox live.

And I just watched the move demo. Pretty impressive! But the orbs looked even more ridiculous when they were demoing them. I can see that a lot of games need two of them, too. :( So, $100 for two orbs and another $30(?) for the other controller half that some games use...I dunno. I'd easily spend $500 if I were to buy one, seems a bit expensive to me.

keveck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
aaa
Definitely not my type of game either, but it was an impressive demo.
It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I think it's really going to come down to who has the best marketing/launch games/playable kiosks.
Whoever gets out of the gate earliest will have a big advantage too because of the large investment involved with both systems.

I always wondered why Nintendo never heavily marketed motion plus either. They're just starting to get serious about it now.
They made WiiSports Resort and ran a couple commercials. That's about it. They should have had a launch lineup of more than 3 games too.

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Hi guys!!

I like the idea of Kinect, has Microsoft considered it could be a great sports training device? It could be used to analyse a golf swing like a personal coach I guess. If there is golf to be had on Kinect I must have it as I enjoy Tiger Woods games, that is all I play on 360 hehe!

Come to think of it that is all I play on my Wii too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread