Not open for further replies.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Hello All!
Looking for some feedback. I'm currently using Cisco 1.5 atties on my Reo mini, and mini woodvil. I have been seeing that alot of you have been using smoktek 1.7 shorty cartos. I have used 1.7 resurectors in the past with my old Ego. I get much more flavor with the my trusty REO and atty. My question to those of you that have used both on the REO is do you experience flavor loss with the cartos vs. atties?:confused:

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
I'm a big fan of the shorties. I'm an atty guy, and apart from the short length, one of the reasons why I like the shorty cartos is that they don't mute the flavor anywhere near as much as a full-sized carto does. I would imagine it's because of the smaller amount of polyfill in the shorty and the proximity of the drip tip to the coil (chances are your favorite tip will actually sit on top of the polyfill in a shorty with no gap between), but they taste so close to an atty that the difference (to me, anyway) is negligible.

Darrel, the value of a carto on a REO is that you have more time between squonks.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
In short, yes. I notice a significant loss of flavor with cartos of any size. Ask me next month and I'll tell you the same thing but may admit to using cartos at the time because of their damn convenience. I've switched back and forth many times. Still. I've always believed that attys have the better flavor. JMO

davelog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2011
Phoenix
www.davelog.com
What's a "squonk"?

Squonking is the act of pushing juice up into the bottom of the atty by pressing the bottle. The 'blind' squonk is the same, but you also take a light unpowered hit off the mouthpiece while doing so - this gives you a couple of indicators when the atty/carto is filled appropriately. When blind squonking, you'll get an audible gurgle and/or a change in the airflow coming through the drip tip. At that point you're perfectly primed to vape.

Gioajack

Resting In Peace
Jul 20, 2012
Conifer, Colorado
What's a "squonk"?

SQUONK is the best word ever invented. SQUONK, SQUONK, SQUONK, see how much fun that is.

Of course you've got that S-E-X thing too but you can SQUONK in public without getting arrested.

SQUONK, SQUONK, SQUONK... ah, now I feel better. (Kinda wish I had a cigarette.)

Jack

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Before I got my rebuildable atty's, I was a confirmed SmokTech super-shorty 1.7 carto user. They are an excellent match for the 3.7 REO's - they rock hard, don't leak, and you can just put one on, squonk and go. I never noticed much of an undertaste with them, particularly compared to some others I've tried. But my main vape is a menthol, so YMMV.

lalasalama8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
north carolina coast
I'm a big fan of the shorties. I'm an atty guy, and apart from the short length, one of the reasons why I like the shorty cartos is that they don't mute the flavor anywhere near as much as a full-sized carto does. I would imagine it's because of the smaller amount of polyfill in the shorty and the proximity of the drip tip to the coil (chances are your favorite tip will actually sit on top of the polyfill in a shorty with no gap between), but they taste so close to an atty that the difference (to me, anyway) is negligible.

Darrel, the value of a carto on a REO is that you have more time between squonks.

davelog's point about the smaller amount of filler and how it affects taste is spot on, in my opinion. I generally prefer attys, but love the mini cartos on my mini REOS for the pocket friendliness factor..never need to worry about leaking of any sort

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT

makes sense to me! I guess the only way to find out is to buy some shorties and try out. They are cheap!

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Just to add some fuel to the fire...errr...make that "add my experience" :)

I started out with attys, since on "other" devices, I got a cleaner flavor. Hence I initially used attys with my REOs and was quite satisfied. But the siren song of "cheap, easy, lots of folks swear by them, oh and cheap" got me to give cartos a shot on my REOs.

I used them for about 3 months, and yes, cheap and easy! I do get a slight odd taste from the filler, but it's not overwhelming.

Downsides I found with cartos: the taste, how often I had to change them out due to the filler retaining even the least degree of dry burn. So I wound up changing them about once a week (cheap enough I figured). They can be a bit of a hassle if you switch juice flavors often, but I only use 2 flavors, so not an issue for me.

After a good solid 3 month trial, I put one of my 1.7 bulk attys on, and WOW, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the flavor. There's no real advantage to cartos over attys with a bottom feeder, except they are easier, but most of us use these things enough that eventually squonking becomes 2nd nature (sort of as easy as lighting a 2nd cigarette when you already have one burning :) ) And they last me upwards of 4-5 weeks each.

I still keep cartos around (DC 1.7's) for backup or emergencies, but attys all the way for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread