Optional change of catchcup - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
I have been thinking about this for quite a while and since Robert did something like it for a REOnaut it may be time to ask around.

Many of us use the mechanical REOs in a way that they were not designed to be used in: We use modified drippers that can be bottom fed. Using a carto or a 510 atomizer is slowly going out of style.

We even put orings into the catch cups to prevent them from doing their job - catching overflow juice.

The REOs work well in that setup, but we are limited to RBAs that are roughly <15mm in diameter, because of the catch cup.

I would like to mod and use good dual coil RBAs with air control on my REO, but the catch cup is in the way. I am about to simply mill the catch cup down on one of my Grands to be flush with the 510 connector, but of course this will destroy the finish of the REO.

Would it be a good idea for Robert to offer a slightly different type of mod? One that is exactly like the Grand, but with the new and upcoming sub-ohm-kit and a catch cup (or maybe a catch plate?) that is flush with the 510 connector (or maybe just a millimeter higher) so that we are not limited by the width of the rba we can use?

This should be a minor change for Robert, but it would open up a range of very good atomizers that we could use.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Chris

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Hi Chris,

It sounds like a good idea. Two things come to mind though. One can use an adapter to raise a big atomizer although I know thats not an ideal solution. The other concern would be the gap between the body of the Reo and the atomizer. That might not look so good. Maybe O rings to fill in the gap?

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
The adapters create more problems than they solve, really, even the expensive ones from markbugs.
An adjustable pin to avoid the gap and flush mount an atty is possible, I am sure, but that would need a complete redesign of the 510 connector.

Some drippers could show a bit of a gap, yes, depending on their 510 connector, but we don't mind the current gap that shows with the RM2 and standard Grand now.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Chris, wouldn't the gap be much larger though with the Grand milled down. Not on every one but for many RBAs it would be quite large when compared to the standard Grand and RM2.
I don't think so, no. The RBAs we use now sit inside the catch cup, not on top of it. Take any dripper and screw it onto something that has a flush 510 connector - that's the look.

We would see a bit more of the atty, of course and that might not look good if the atty is a milled down RM2 - but any other "normal" RDA should just fit.

FEEDER

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Geordieland UK
Hello Chris I am thinking about it . It does make sense . It would give us many more options . I think I will mill so many of them down to size and keep it on a custom order bases for the time being .
Could the well block, not just be bigger, not stepped in the way it is now, I know that it would mean the door would only go down, but with the extra size on the block, you could get a wider well in, giving a catch cup big enough for most if not all RBA's, without having to own a special reo, for this
Just wondering
Frank

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Chris, I applaud you for your suggestion, as well as your timing! I was just looking for a place to dump these pics. T-cad and Crash-Mo' Betta' got my wheels turning too! Then, after Mo dissed me on a request for a free Cyclone, my man Tree came through (just kidding, an accident of timing; but thx Tree!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Soooooo . . . . ya' mean like this?

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
I spoke with Rob last week and ordered a Copper Vein Grand with the catch cup milled down almost flush with the 510 connector. He actually milled it down before doing the finish on it. He also fixed me up with a brass Rm2 without the base milled down so it will sit flush. They'll both be here tomorrow. Pics will be up tomorrow evening. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl!!! :D
Can't wait to get a Cyclone with AFC and try it with duals.
Thank you turbo and crash moses for the inspiration and a big THANK YOU to Rob for going above and beyond to hook it up!!!
And pdib, Your's looks awesome man. Nice work!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread