Oral Health Impacts of Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nado

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Canada
I had asked a while ago on here about the oral health impacts of vaping as I was concerned with how the dehydration caused by vaping would impact my gums. I never did get any solid answers and when visiting my dentist the other day I asked and they sent me the article linked below later that day. It turns out its the nicotine we need to worry about based on this article, i'm sure the dehydration isn't great either.

The take away from this article for me isn't that we should all stop vaping because its bad for our gums. Just that we should be aware of what vaping can do (especially excessive vaping) and take the proper steps to ensure it doesn't become a problem. If you aren't brushing your teeth as often as you should, and you aren't flossing while vaping excessively all day long there is a good chance you could run into issues with Periodontal Disease.

Oral Health Impacts of Vaping | Hawaii Family Dental Centers

Last edited by a moderator:

Nado

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Canada
If nicotine is Bad, then FDA approved crap is also Bad!
:2c:

I would assume you are correct. I'm just hypothesizing here but I would assume the gum would be worse than the patch since it is in your mouth directly. But for all I know it doesn't make a difference where its absorbed.

It also probably doesn't matter as much if you consume 1ml of liquid a day. But I myself easily devour 5ml of liquid in a day and I know some people on here take in even more than that. Its just good to be aware and stay on top of it.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I smoked cigars for decades. My gums used to bleed pretty excessively. 6 months into vaping they stopped a great deal, and now after almost a year they have just about stopped completely.
I tend to vape 25 to 30 MG nic now. And about 8-10 ML a day.
This is real experience from a real vaper.

Nado

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Canada
The way nicotine effects blood vessels is well documented, its simply the way nicotine works.

Its not that vaping=periodontal disease, just that vaping+poor oral hygeine = greater risk of periodontal disease.

Come on now guys we all know that vaping doesn't make us healthier than quitting both smoking and vaping. We don't need to fight every single piece of information to the death that says vaping might not be great lol.....

Nado

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2014
Canada
here is a direct quote from the article that can't be debated. You might not like the way that the article talks about ecigs but just try to overlook that aspect and pull the facts that matter.

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor compound, which means that it has the tendency to stimulate the contraction of the muscular wall of the blood vessels, resulting in reduced blood flow.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The fact remains that "not vaping OR smoking" is NOT!!! an option, it's not even on the table. If I don't vape, I will smoke. Period. and I'm very far from the only one who has learned over and over that all that "FDA approved" snakeoils DON'T WORK.

Andria

Reactions: EBates

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
You know, it really irritates me the way vaping is portrayed by those that are trying to fight "their" good fight. But these same people would be better served if they went after alcohol addiction with this tenacity, yet they wont touch it with a ten foot pole. I have to wonder why this is, Alcohol is at real epidemic stage in this country right now. Iv been in the trenches, Iv been sober for 25 years, I know. But some of the misguided "activists" going after vaping would have all the other "other stuff" legalized. The insanity, and shear ignorance displayed in this country right now makes me ill. Is it the water? Or the kool aid, or all the other stuff that impedes any sense of rational-logical thought?

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
It may be that the 30 years of smoking i did before the 2-1/2 years of vaping has irreversibly damaged my gums. I'm sure using nicotine is not helpful, but i view it in a context of harm reduction.

The hard truth is that i made some foolish choices earlier in my life and there are consequences.

T

Callipleura

Apr 21, 2015
ON, Canada
Most people suffer from dehydration period - regardless if they smoke or vape or not. Now that I vape I drink more water and carry a 500ml Nalegene bottle with me. I changed my habits from smoking to vaping and with that change I decided to carry water with me as I didn't before. I might have done two things to improve my overall health.

From reading the article it sounds like nicotine - no matter how it gets into your system may cause problems with your mouth. (Coffee or fruit juice or processed foods or exhaust from cars or bad city air is probably bad for your mouth as well ultimately and factually).

There is a flaw with the reasoning in the article though. If you take in nicotine with a patch - it is "bad" for your mouth regardless according to the article. Why the article would recommend a patch (nicotine) or as you mention nicotine gum to be ok but not vaping seems biased on delivery method.

You pay your dentist real money - I would ask next time for finer details so you can understand with some perspective. Maybe the best you can do is vape and not smoke and the patch doesn't work for you. Tell your dentist these issues if they apply. If your dentist says nicotine isn't good for your teeth and it is factual - it is all he can say though and hopefully he understands your limits and situation as well.
Cheers

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I had asked a while ago on here about the oral health impacts of vaping as I was concerned with how the dehydration caused by vaping would impact my gums. I never did get any solid answers and when visiting my dentist the other day I asked and they sent me the article linked below later that day. It turns out its the nicotine we need to worry about based on this article, i'm sure the dehydration isn't great either.

The take away from this article for me isn't that we should all stop vaping because its bad for our gums. Just that we should be aware of what vaping can do (especially excessive vaping) and take the proper steps to ensure it doesn't become a problem. If you aren't brushing your teeth as often as you should, and you aren't flossing while vaping excessively all day long there is a good chance you could run into issues with Periodontal Disease.

Oral Health Impacts of Vaping | Hawaii Family Dental Centers

It is not a paper, it is opinion of some dentist from Hawaii Family Dental Centers - some dental clinic. No science beyond it. However since cigarettes make gum disease worse (documented, https://www.adha.org/sites/default/files/7232_Tobacco_Use_Periodontal_Disease_1.pdf) and both smoke and vapor do have nicotine, it could be of some concern for vapers. I hope not a big one. But it is just my opinion, I am not aware of any research on the topic.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
Brushing your teeth 2-3 times per day and flossing once (minimum) is basic oral health. I personally can't see vaping hindering oral health (compared to anything else we ingest) if one is using the minimum cleaning. I would not think the nicotine would be in high enough concentration. Coffee and diet soda would be worse as it coats the teeth and gums directly (no dilution). A little experiment in kindergarten showed us that. Put a tooth in a glass of soda overnight and see what it looks like in a day or two. I guess we could try to put a tooth in e liquid overnight and compare? My teeth are staying with me.

"Regardless of whether it poses less harmful effects to one’s health than conventional cigarettes, experts concur that they are by no means any safer. Nicotine inhalation puts the dental health and overall well-being of a person at risk." This doesn't make sense. First it states, they are not sure if it is less harmful than smoking... then it states they are by no means safer. Generally if something proves to be less harmful than another logic would dictate it was safer.

I would prefer to listen to true experimentation and fact rather than generalization, especially from the medical community.

We seem to be a country of generalization instead of facts.

I would assume you are correct. I'm just hypothesizing here but I would assume the gum would be worse than the patch since it is in your mouth directly. But for all I know it doesn't make a difference where its absorbed.

It also probably doesn't matter as much if you consume 1ml of liquid a day. But I myself easily devour 5ml of liquid in a day and I know some people on here take in even more than that. Its just good to be aware and stay on top of it.

It may or may not be. I would guess it would depends on how many pieces chewed in a day. Typically, sugar free gum (in moderation of course) is good for promoting tooth and gum health. It stimulates the saliva which in turns "cleans".

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The way nicotine effects blood vessels is well documented, its simply the way nicotine works.

Its not that vaping=periodontal disease, just that vaping+poor oral hygeine = greater risk of periodontal disease.

Come on now guys we all know that vaping doesn't make us healthier than quitting both smoking and vaping. We don't need to fight every single piece of information to the death that says vaping might not be great lol.....

I'm pretty sure this is the most important part of that: poor oral hygeine = greater risk of periodontal disease

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Most people suffer from dehydration period - regardless if they smoke or vape or not. Now that I vape I drink more water and carry a 500ml Nalegene bottle with me. I changed my habits from smoking to vaping and with that change I decided to carry water with me as I didn't before. I might have done two things to improve my overall health.

From reading the article it sounds like nicotine - no matter how it gets into your system may cause problems with your mouth. (Coffee or fruit juice or processed foods or exhaust from cars or bad city air is probably bad for your mouth as well ultimately and factually).

Nope. Nicotine absorbed by mouth affects mouth first, in a greater degree.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
My gum health has improved dramatically in the last 1.75 years of vaping.

Anyone else notice this statement at the end: "In the absence of any proven scientific study to back this contention, it is always ideal to avoid smoking or vaping altogether, and just stick with FDA-approved anti-smoking strategies."

So essentially they're telling you to not vape but still consume nicotine (likely orally) as long as its FDA approved.

Guess FDA approved nicotine is not a vasoconstrictor....LOL /sarcasm

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Seems to me that the main way for anything to be "FDA Approved" is for it not to work as its designed to work. Chantix will work, sure, because it's hard to smoke when you're DEAD. None of the NRTs work, which is precisely what BP and BG *want* -- see how they're all freaking out about something that DOES work?

Andria

Reactions: inspects

Callipleura

Apr 21, 2015
ON, Canada
Nope. Nicotine absorbed by mouth affects mouth first, in a greater degree.
Hi AT! You might have a point. From the article I got:

"Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor compound, which means that it has the tendency to stimulate the contraction of the muscular wall of the blood vessels, resulting in reduced blood flow. Based on research, the extended decrease of nutrient and oxygen supply to the gum increases the probability of periodontal disease development. Restriction of blood flow also affects the mouths natural inhibitory function of cleaning and fighting bacteria, as well as reduces the body’s innate ability to heal and generate new cells."

Nicotine constricting blood flow is the problem. I figured nicotine has this constricting effect overall and equally in the body. Are you saying because the nicotine is taken up by blood vessels in the mouth they are being affected more then if the nicotine came in though your arm? I figured there would be reduced blood flow throughout all your body equally over time and it really doesn't matter how it entered the body. But I am interested in learning about PG, VG and Nicotine in finer and finer details - so share what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread