Ordered my first mechanical mod today - hope i didnt screw up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after reading so much about mech mods I got the itch. Currently running a Vamo V5 at home and a vtr for the road. I keep hearing how mech mods give better taste and more vape so I decided to give it a shot. I didnt want to break the bank on my first try so I bought some clones.

For the Mech Mod I ordered the Tobeco Stingray polished brass clone with tip

For the RBA I bought the HCigar Brass Kraken

its was under 60 bucks shipped and should be here by monday. Im only in my 2nd week of vaping and being analog free so making this a hobby seems like a good distraction from the cigarettes.

Did I order good or will I run into problems?

Looks like it will be a beautiful combo if it all works. Very excited.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
Well after reading so much about mech mods I got the itch. Currently running a Vamo V5 at home and a vtr for the road. I keep hearing how mech mods give better taste and more vape so I decided to give it a shot. I didnt want to break the bank on my first try so I bought some clones.

its was under 60 bucks shipped and should be here by monday. Im only in my 2nd week of vaping and being analog free so making this a hobby seems like a good distraction from the cigarettes.

Mechanical mods alone do no such thing. It is just straight battery voltage.

What delivers the bigger vapor and better flavor is how well you build your coils to suit either your own profile, or that of the liquid, be it in a dripper (RBA), tank system (RTA) or Genesis-style atty (Kraken).

Hopefully you've been practicing your coil building and have at your disposal a multimeter and or ohm reader/battery reader.

I hope you enjoy your mechanical mod as much as I enjoy my Sentinel M16 clone and Kayfuns.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Definitely get an ohm and voltage meter. They'll let you know what you're wrapping and where the voltage of your battery is at. Building coils is actually pretty straight forward. I've found it to be quite easy after waiting an entire year before delving into it cuz' I was scared of the whole rebuildable scheme of things, lol. There's some really great information here on ECF about building coils and some great vids on youtube showing how to build. Read as much as you can about ohms and battery safety then read and watch several videos until you feel comfortable enough to try it out, check your ohms, check your battery voltage, put RDA/RBA on mech and fire to see if it fires from the inside out, if everything goes well your ready to follow through with vaping. If using an RDA, wick it and drip your fluid, if it's and RBA fill and wet the showing wicks really well, and now you're ready to hit the fire button and vape.

Be safe and Happy building! :vapor:

Last edited:

TheBeardedMann

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
United States
I've got a standard voltage ohm reader but not the kind the atomizers plug into. It's the kind I use in the field. Will that work ok?

It'll work great. You can check your build resistance and your battery voltage.
Not saying you don't know, but it happens to a lot of people and not on all multimeters, but just in case, subtract the resistance you measure from touching the leads together from the resistance you get when measuring your build.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Mech mods don't give better taste and more vape; what they don't do is deliberately limit your power draw from the battery.
If you want to short out the battery it won't stop you.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
what would be a good ohm to start off with.

For stainless steel wick's, can i buy the ss cord at Home Depot?

Forgot to add i ordered some sony vtc5's to go with it.

I have yet to build a coil but im pretty mechanically inclined from all my other hobbies and old profession(HVAC Tech)

Good ohm to start: 2 ohms

Sony VTC's - Excellent.

Mech mods don't give better taste and more vape; what they don't do is deliberately limit your power draw from the battery.
If you want to short out the battery it won't stop you.

I understand that much. Its the combination of the mech mod with a good RBA and like what was stated before a good coil and wick. I was more comparing it to just your stand VV and glassomizer which is what Ive been using.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I understand that much. Its the combination of the mech mod with a good RBA and like what was stated before a good coil and wick. I was more comparing it to just your stand VV and glassomizer which is what Ive been using.

It's the high POWER.
You can get it from a combination of mech, ohms, and a high powered battery
or you rig up your own wire and plug into the wall
or you use your standard car battery.

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2013
Wasatch mtns
what would be a good ohm to start off with.

For stainless steel wick's, can i buy the ss cord at Home Depot?

Forgot to add i ordered some sony vtc5's to go with it.

I have yet to build a coil but im pretty mechanically inclined from all my other hobbies and old profession(HVAC Tech)

With that background you'll definately be a natural and quickly a master :)

Got my mech and kraken today. omg its beautiful. only problem i had was the center contact(positive post) in the kraken didnt sit far enough down to touch the floating center post in the stingray. Easy fix. Made my first coil out of the mesh and kanthal that was provided. not sure what they are rated at but im getting a 1 ohm reading which is fine with me. its firing perfect.

Im in love.....

IMG_0832.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread