Status
Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Ok, need to order some more batteries, I know the recommended is AW IMR 18650 1600mah, but how does the Sony US18650VTC4 stack up for holding its charge?

Also, anyone or links for some 29 gauge kanthal a1 handy? Looking for 25-50 foot roll. Didn't see it on amazon, and some of the eBay folks don't ship to APO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I'm not familiar with the sony batteries you mention, and I don't see them in the 18650 battery comparitor I have a link to.

Just curious, why would you NOT want to use the recommended batteries?

Well, oh ancient one. While the AW 1600 18650 is an outstanding battery, it ain't the end-all-beat-all. Besides, I needed a different color battery to accessorize with different ensembles.;)

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Well, oh ancient one. While the AW 1600 18650 is an outstanding battery, it ain't the end-all-beat-all. Besides, I needed a different color battery to accessorize with different ensembles.;)

Oh! you need the color! LOL In that case, you could always use contact paper for some really spiffy "looks" :)

Seriously, though, my question is more of a wondering out loud kind of thing. Anyone that is knowledgeable about batteries/DC electrical "stuff", I would expect to choose based on what their requirements are. But I see many folks who hear about REOs, do some reading and decide to get one. But despite all advice to the contrary, including the manufacturer's recommendation, they seem to feel that the AW IMR's are somehow "inadequate".

I'm just wondering if folks are still too "focused" on mAH ratings, or if the current subohm trend is fueling the move to get something "better". (I do also realize sometimes it's a desire to "use what they already have", but it seems to me, lately, that it's more than just that).

My guess would be that Borescoped isn't one those folks above, and probably has a good understanding of the trade offs, but I'm not sure, so that's why I asked.

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
it's not that AWs are inadequate - they are reasonable enough batteries and so good that they have become the benchmark to which others are compared. But with the sub-ohm trend screwing every ounce of performance from a battery, there is a need for longer lasting and higher rated batteries than even 24A. The mAh is largely irrelevant, since that is a measure of total capacity and not constant or spike discharge.

There are better batteries, but if you vape a 1.4Ω coil, you'd be wasting your money getting them.

I once tried to "use what i had" and a massive protected AW flat-top in a Reo fried my buttons and crushed the spring to death!

Fun times!

T

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I'm not familiar with the sony batteries you mention, and I don't see them in the 18650 battery comparitor I have a link to.

Just curious, why would you NOT want to use the recommended batteries?

I bought my REO used and modded by Pdib. It's set up for flat tops right now with the fuse mod. I also plan on delving into lower ohms than I'm currently at (1.0 even), so extra room to grow is a plus. Doesn't hurt that it is supposed to have a higher amp limit and mah capacity. Being that it was modded by Pdib, he said the VTC's would be good for how he set it up. At RTD, the AW IMR is shown as a button top also.

Speaking of the VTC4.... Apparently there is now a VTC5 coming out, my wife told me that she saw some folks talking about it online.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Makes perfect sense, given the modifications that have already been made. If pdib says they're good for that setup, I'd expect they definitely are. Any idea when the "5"s are going to be available?

Not quite sure where she read it (she only reads/subscribes for me, she quit smoking a long time ago, before vaping came out) but some group she's on was looking at a group buy.

So, I have no idea LOL. Sorry, it don't help. Just something she told me tonight. Only thing I know is that it is supposed to be like 2600mah, and still like 30A rated.

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
I am using the vtc4's for my tube mechs and they work really well. At around 3.7 I notice a big drop off with the AW's, my cue to change batts, but with the vtc4's it more subtle, I have to pay more attention to it. Both batts last me the majority of the day, with the sony's getting the slight edge, but the aw's charge much faster for some reason.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread