Organized, Cooperative Advocacy & Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagit

Aug 5, 2008
Toronto/Vancouver
A few of us are in the final stages of putting together an enterprise with the intent of sponsoring clinical trials to get a product approved for sale in the USA and Canada.

We're a good week away from finalizing the corporate structure, and from there it'll be tons of hours (weeks, months!) of work to get all the documentation, financial projections, promotional materials, etc. out the door so that we're ready to "open the doors" to the public, so I apologize in advance for any vagueness here, but it's a balancing act between letting people know about an opportunity that might work and getting too far ahead of ourselves....

The basic gist of things follow - anyone with ideas/input, please post or pm me. Thanks.

We're forming as a co-operative which gives us a business structure that allows for all stakeholders to be equal participants and members, and so share in the ownership of the assets (ie: technology) and results from the efforts. I've hired a couple engineers who have put together a new product model that doesn't incorporate elements patented by "Mr. Lic", et. al., and will be transferring ownership of the technology to the co-operative.

Our first steps will involve filing provisional patent applications in the next couple weeks, followed by getting the prototypes further tested/tweaked, and completing the base chemical formula (with and without nicotine, no flavours). From here, the intention is to sponsor stage I clinical trials in Canada, followed by stage II and III likely overseas (re: hard costs), presuming we can obtain the requisite approvals.

In concert with these efforts, the intent is to build the membership of the cooperative to the extent it can function as an organized voice in support of all resources (products, services and information) that enable addicts to reduce their dependency on, and exposure to, cancer-causing substances. This of course includes supporting the e-cigarette as a sound technologically concept for harm reduction, but does not preclude other products, services or information that enable cigarette smokers to do everything possible to pursue and preserve their health.

Avenues we'd ideally like to sponsor are funding programs to support suppliers who are fined or otherwise put out of business due to gov't interventions, micro grant programs for those who have been able to stop smoking analogues (re: lifestyle changes such as repainting a house or getting a health club membership), etc.

The people involved in this small group have backgrounds in corporate finance, corporate compliance, market development, electrical and mechanical engineering, import/exports, etc. We are sadly lacking in chemical engineering, cooperative law/compliance, and compliance/operations re: clinical trial sponsorships in particular. We have access to some of this expertise (esp. re: sponsoring clinical trials), but will need more support/input, etc.

In the short term, we'll be looking for 2-4 additional directors, advisory members in community relations, tech. devel, and compliance, as well as people who want to take on extended tasks like product testing, member support, market research, etc.

So, that's the gist of it. Huge risk. Little short term gain in material terms (ie: money-making), and no guarantee of future return on the effort either. But, we'll put in the technology and initial funding and from there, to the extent we can organize, build a supportive community, and follow a strategic, productive path to getting through these regulatory hoops, everyone involved stands to gain.

I hope that as things continue to come together, lots - or all! - of you will jump on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread