Origins of the word 'vape'

Status
Not open for further replies.

vape1pointoh

May 17, 2015
A 1983 article entitled "Why People Smoke" envisioned a hypothetical device to be used in place of cigarettes.

“an inhaler or ‘non-combustible’ cigarette, looking much like the real thing, but…delivering a metered dose of nicotine vapour. (The new habit, if it catches on, would be known as vaping.)”

Of course, ecigs did not exist when this was written, and I think they were invented about 20 years later.

Source:
The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is… vape | OxfordWords blog

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
20 years later?
Try about 20 years earlier for the first patent.

The earliest electronic cigarette can be traced to Herbert A. Gilbert, who in 1963 patented a device described as "a smokeless non-tobacco cigarette" that involved "replacing burning tobacco and paper with heated, moist, flavored air". This device heated the nicotine solution and produced steam. It was never commercialized

Hon Lik, a Chinese pharmacist and inventor, who worked as a research pharmacist for a company producing ginseng products, is credited with the invention of the modern electronic cigarette Hon quit smoking after his father, also a heavy smoker, died of lung cancer. In 2003,he came up with the idea of using a piezoelectric ultrasound-emitting element to vaporize a pressurized jet of liquid containing nicotine diluted in a propylene glycol solution. This design produces a smoke-like vapor that can be inhaled and provides a vehicle for nicotine delivery into the bloodstream via the lungs. He also proposed using propylene glycol to dilute nicotine and utilizing a disposable plastic cartridge to serve as a liquid reservoir and mouthpiece.

Reactions: Kat Eyez

vape1pointoh

May 17, 2015
I was thinking of the 2003 Hon Lik device. My bad.

Actually 1963 is pretty close to the first big US government attacks on smoking. In January, 1964 the Surgeon General's Report on smoking came out. It was not good news for smokers or the tobacco industry. In 1965, we got the warnings on the cigarette packs; a few years after that, came the ban on broadcast cigarette advertising.

Of course compared to today, "freedom to smoke" was in its heyday.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Yea kinda hard to convince people they need to stop when this is going on....
download-3.jpg

images-5d.jpg

monomo

Apr 15, 2015
vaporizers for herbal blends have been on the market for a while now, I'm pretty sure at least back to 2000. In principle they do essentially the same thing the main difference is the contents being heated (although herbal vaporizers can use different types of heating elements). I have heard the terms "vaping" and "vape" be used to refer to those types of vaporizers long before e cigarettes were even in stores.

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
20 years later?
Try about 20 years earlier for the first patent.

The earliest electronic cigarette can be traced to Herbert A. Gilbert, who in 1963 patented a device described as "a smokeless non-tobacco cigarette" that involved "replacing burning tobacco and paper with heated, moist, flavored air". This device heated the nicotine solution and produced steam. It was never commercialized

Hon Lik, a Chinese pharmacist and inventor, who worked as a research pharmacist for a company producing ginseng products, is credited with the invention of the modern electronic cigarette Hon quit smoking after his father, also a heavy smoker, died of lung cancer. In 2003,he came up with the idea of using a piezoelectric ultrasound-emitting element to vaporize a pressurized jet of liquid containing nicotine diluted in a propylene glycol solution. This design produces a smoke-like vapor that can be inhaled and provides a vehicle for nicotine delivery into the bloodstream via the lungs. He also proposed using propylene glycol to dilute nicotine and utilizing a disposable plastic cartridge to serve as a liquid reservoir and mouthpiece.
Yep, vaping has been around for a long while now... thank God they finally made a play on it when they did! I can't imagine if I was still stinking up the place & blowing all my $ on Camel's! Yuck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread