OSDIYS Tobacco Absolute...any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
** EDIT: I think I answered my own question (after initially posting this thread) with research here on this forum. The recipe on the site says a scoop of TA paste with 15 mls PG and EM. I mistook this to be a recipe for a final ejuice product and I now believe this recipe is to produce a flavoring concentrate itself, which is then to be used at 2-3% in the final ejuice product. I will leave this thread up if the mods are fine with it, in case some user in the future has a similar question. **

Ive tried nudenicotine's TA and found it a great tasting flavor but needed to be mixed at least at 4 or 5% to be viable as a standalone (which is what I was looking for at the time).

I just got some TA from onestopdiyshop and it's incredibly thick -- like peanut butter. This is not an issue in itself but I used a minute amount in a 30 ml 50/50 nic base and it wouldn't really mix hardly at all. It basically stayed a paste. I let it sit overnight and tried again but it was only marginally better. I also noticed that the TA paste did not seem to be as water soluble when I tried to rinse it off my finger. As an experiment I heated up the bottle in the micorwave to see if it would finally mix better and this helped. But I'm a bit concerned about vaping this.

Anyone have any experience with OSDIYS TA?

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
After more research I see one forum poster said this about OSDIYS's TA paste:

"Used One Stop DIY shop's tobacco absolute (the paste) and diluted as they instruct with 1 spoonful (that it came with) and EM the rest PG. (used 10 ml bottle instead of 15ml though)"

I guess I misunderstood the website's directions. They meant that recipe to produce a flavor concentrate itself, and NOT a vape juice. I think I've answered my own question.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have used OSDIY TA in the past. You're right; it is a pain to work with.

Treat it like you would barbecue... "low & slow." Add one of those little spoons (1/32 of a teaspoon) to 14mL of PG (VG makes the process even harder). Gently heat this for several hours; shaking it every 30-60 minutes. A crock pot, or coffee cup warmer, works well. Try to keep the heat below 140 degrees Fahrenheit to preserve maximum flavor.

This method usually took me 4-6 hours to fully dissolve the paste.

Don't get temped to mix larger batches of this; at least, until you figure out how fast you use it. It does tend to separate over time. And, if enough time elapses, it even gets scummy gelatinous stuff appearing in it (took nearly a year before I noticed the scum; separation after only 3 or 4 months).

Also... the EM is optional (in my opinion).

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
I have used OSDIY TA in the past. You're right; it is a pain to work with.

Treat it like you would barbecue... "low & slow." Add one of those little spoons (1/32 of a teaspoon) to 14mL of PG (VG makes the process even harder). Gently heat this for several hours; shaking it every 30-60 minutes. A crock pot, or coffee cup warmer, works well. Try to keep the heat below 140 degrees Fahrenheit to preserve maximum flavor.

This method usually took me 4-6 hours to fully dissolve the paste.

Don't get temped to mix larger batches of this; at least, until you figure out how fast you use it. It does tend to separate over time. And, if enough time elapses, it even gets scummy gelatinous stuff appearing in it (took nearly a year before I noticed the scum; separation after only 3 or 4 months).

Also... the EM is optional (in my opinion).
Thank you IDjoel! I assume this would make the flavoring concentrate to then mix into your final ejuice right?

Also, do you have any other TAs you like better? I have thus far tried 3 of Inawera's TAs and nudenicotine's, all with pretty good flavor enjoyment. Some great.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you IDjoel! I assume this would make the flavoring concentrate to then mix into your final ejuice right?
Correct.
Also, do you have any other TAs you like better? I have thus far tried 3 of Inawera's TAs and nudenicotine's, all with pretty good flavor enjoyment. Some great.
To be honest; it was such a pain in the rear to work with, and the results were only okay, that I never felt the desire to explore absolutes any further.

I know some manufacturers (like Inawera) put out products they call "absolutes." But, I would not classify them as such. They are just too refined, to far removed from, the original concentrated extraction (which is what makes it a paste), to be considered a real absolute.

Today's tobacco concentrates give me all I want from a tobacco vape. So, I have never felt the need to do further exploration.

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
Today's tobacco concentrates give me all I want from a tobacco vape. So, I have never felt the need to do further exploration.
Well I always enjoy hearing what people enjoy regarding tobacco vapes. I'd be interested in seeing what you do enjoy these days in tobacco stuff.

I have tried dozens of NETs and many synthetic tobacco flavorings over the years. I am in the midst of waiting for some DIY cold maceration NETs to mature (my first forway into DIY NETs). I always avoided TAs in my first few years of DIY mixing and NET-trying, as they got kind of a bad rep in the NET community, but I've been really enjoying INW's and nudenicotine's tobacco product. INW's Cuban has been my personal favorite cigar juice ever (including many vendor-bought NETs), so whether it would fit the definition of TA or not is not as big a deal to me. Taste is so subjective anyway!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
My go-to is a simple single concentrate mix of INW-Am4a at 3.5%. It provides me with a great pipe tobacco profile that only needs a three day rest before it is ready to vape. It also isn't to hard on the coils.

My own exploration has taken me through 20+ tobaccos from INW, HS, SC, and Stixx Mix (SM). SM was the only NET I have tried and I was extremely disappointed. The others all have some nice offerings. Hangsen (HS) seems to get the most accolades these days (for non-NETs).

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
My go-to is a simple single concentrate mix of INW-Am4a at 3.5%. It provides me with a great pipe tobacco profile that only needs a three day rest before it is ready to vape. It also isn't to hard on the coils.

My own exploration has taken me through 20+ tobaccos from INW, HS, SC, and Stixx Mix (SM). SM was the only NET I have tried and I was extremely disappointed. The others all have some nice offerings. Hangsen (HS) seems to get the most accolades these days (for non-NETs).
I think I have a bottle of that am4a, i need to finally try it. I was expecting you to say you love flavorah tobaccos, which seem to also be all the rage right now.

My favorite hangsen is desert ship, which to me has a great general cigarette (unlit) flavor note that I enjoy.

I can actually see some frustration with stixx. Honestly I only found a few NETs I really enjoyed. And add on that the fact that most NETs require a month or more of steeping before the tobacco notes are noticeable. Stixx's Perique is solid. I've noticed Perique NET blends give me a tobacco profile I enjoy, despite smoking actual perique may be a totally different experience.

Anyway, thank you again for the tips with the TA...i will certainly give that a shot!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Generally speaking; I am a cheap old(er) curmudgeon. Paying the prices of Flavorah (and NETs for that matter) just sticks in my craw. Especially, when I can find products I like, for a whole lot less.

I am only a casual tobacco fan compared to other true connoisseurs. Couple that with my highly abused taste buds, and I bow to those with greater knowledge and perception. :)

Flavorah does have a few concentrates they do especially well (or are the only manufacturer... period) and I do buy those (Basil, Rich Cinnamon, Bourbon, Raisin Rum, and Pink Guava). But, I have not seen enough glowing reviews, to motivate me to want to try their tobaccos.

If, you like a more general (cigarette-like) tobacco, you might want to try HS-Flue Cured (if you haven't already). I find it to have a fuller/more interesting flavor than either INW-S' Desert Ship or HS-Desert Ship. It is likely because they are not expressly trying to recreate a Camel. So, it may, or may not appeal to someone looking for that recreation.

HS-Elder Captain is another good pipe representation.

A good cigar concentrate is still alluding me. I have only tried a few so far; including HS-Cohiba, and SM-
Nicaraguan Seco, and SM-Havana Primed. I still have SC-Cohiba, and SC-Cubana, that I have yet to try in test mixes.

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
I still have SC-Cohiba, and SC-Cubana, that I have yet to try in test mixes.
I can understand your aversion to high priced flavorings, for sure. After getting into synthetic tobaccos recently, Flavorah has been nearly everywhere with positive reviews. I've enjoyed them fairly well, usually at levels <1%, even for standalone recipes.

And I'm intrigued what you're using Basil for. Yes I have HS Flue Cured in a tester and has steeped for a few weeks. It's solid, for sure. It's all down to individual taste of course, but I agree HS flue cured is generally good.

Let me know when you try the two SC cigar flavors you have, and what you think of them. I have never bought an SC flavor yet so I'm curious how their tobaccos shape up.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I can understand your aversion to high priced flavorings, for sure. After getting into synthetic tobaccos recently, Flavorah has been nearly everywhere with positive reviews. I've enjoyed them fairly well, usually at levels <1%, even for standalone recipes.
I do have to agree with you; that taken as a whole, FLV does seem to be one of the most highly concentrated product lines, of all the major manufacturers. And, that in turn, helps control final cost.

Less than 1%, as a stand-alone, is impressive. :thumb:
I'm intrigued what you're using Basil for.
It has been a fun one, for simple fruit mixes, as well as cocktail mixes. In fruit mixes; it adds a vegetal note, that brightens many (peach, pear, pineapple, nectarine, citrus, and melons). And, tends to draw them away from "candy-like," and more toward "real" fruit. In cocktail mixes; it is an interesting sub for classic mint cocktails, like mojitos, juleps, and fruit-based drinks. It will continue to keep its place in my stash for a long time to come. :)
Let me know when you try the two SC cigar flavors you have, and what you think of them. I have never bought an SC flavor yet so I'm curious how their tobaccos shape up.
I will do my best to remember.:blush::D

I have not used a lot of HS yet. But, of what I have tried, they seem worthy of equal consideration. I have yet to hit any outright failures. And, the majority have been equal to, or better than, their CAP, TFA, and FA counterparts. I have higher than normal hopes for their tobaccos, as they have received consistent praise from the true tobacco chasers. <fingers crossed>

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
The recipe on the site says a scoop of TA paste with 15 mls PG and EM.
From old records, "Introducing RTS Tobacco Absolute (PG). Our own unique Tobacco Absolute pure 100% oil extract is diluted 90% (50% TA, 40% PG and 10% EA) for easy use in your e-liquid. This product contains ethyl alcohol and Contains EM.4-16 weeks steep.This product is highly concentrated please start with 1 drop at a time until you are familiar with the taste.Tobacco Absolute is a naturally very bitter flavour and works great in small amounts when combined with FA tobacco flavours to add bitterness.TA adds real zest to an otherwise bland tobacco, use 1% in most tobaccos; makes it “pop” - That's a 50% dilution. Most dilute it to a 10% solution and use that starting at 1 - 3%. "
Re: RTS Tobacco Absolute (OOB out of business?)
I still have 2 mls or so remaining and it flows freely, very workable @ 50/40/10.

I just got some TA from onestopdiyshop and it's incredibly thick -- like peanut butter.
If you are PG sensitive, I suppose you could cut your paste with VG.
Ive tried nudenicotine's TA and found it a great tasting flavor but needed to be mixed at least at 4 or 5% to be viable as a standalone (which is what I was looking for at the time).
Many Tobacco concentrates such as TFA’s Tobacco Absolute only require .5 – 1.5 %
Small batches:
Use a little bottle and measure ONLY the flavorings into it. Use drops, or use milliliters, or tenths-of-ml, whatever units you want. A recipe that says 2 drops of X, 7 drops of Y (or 2% of X, 7% of Y) - you measure as 2ml and 7ml, or .2ml and .7ml, or even 4 drops and 14 drops (doubling everything) - doesn't matter, so long as the ratios are the same, and you're using a measuring device that gives you consistent results
Your One Stop Shop for Flavorings, Best Prices and Best Customer Service
I also noticed that the TA paste did not seem to be as water soluble when I tried to rinse it off my finger.
Sounds about right. If you use from OSDIYS TA :
"Tobacco Blend Recipe
1ml Ethyl Maltol Crystals
1/32 tsp (1 white scoop) Tobacco Absolute
14ml Propylene Glycol "
OSDIYS is using TA/EM and PG as a recipe mix. Another mix I have used:
TFA Seedman (Commercial) TOB 506 5%
TFA Brown Sugar 2.5%
TFA Smooth 2.5%
CA Lemon Lime 0.5%
TFA EM (MM) 0.5%
RTS Tobacco Absolute 0.5%
TFA Acetyl Pyrazine 0.5%
re: https://www.seedman.com/flavor.htm

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
From old records, "Introducing RTS Tobacco Absolute (PG). {edit by IDJoel} I still have 2 mls or so remaining and it flows freely, very workable @ 50/40/10.
@BrotherBob,
Just an FYI:
OSDIY's TA, is the consistency of peanut butter... or thicker. Actually, "dried axle grease" is probably closer to an accurate description. Or, maybe a "refrigerated stick of butter." There is nothing "free flowing" about it. Let alone, using/counting/measuring drops. This is an "absolute" in the truest sense (much below room temp and it becomes solid). It is not an absolute that has been already diluted (like RTS, or INW absolutes).

How this (OSDIY absolute), once diluted, compares to the others... I am ignorant. I have not tried any others. So, I have no comparison. :blush:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
How this (OSDIY absolute), once diluted, compares to the others... I am ignorant. I have not tried any others. So, I have no comparison.
From what I can tell, you can purchase TA in paste or premixed. I have never purchase paste and prefer premix because it is professionally mixed and formulated to dissolve properly in a mix. Premix may be a little more expensive but a lot less problematic when it comes to separation/mixing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread