OT: 100 Best Guitar Riffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
A great listen, TU4V. Like those memories. Thanks. That said, I have to question some of the choices. I know, I know, it's always that way. But when I helped run a music store a while back, I noticed that 78% of the time that a customer would audition a guitar, the opening strain of Stairway (Zep) or Roundabout (Yes) or a lot of other guit gems were worth a bet.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but anyone else got more fave guit lines? Two of mine not on the list: the opening of Inna Gada Davida (Iron Butterfly) and the first 5 notes of Since I've Been Lovin' You (Zep-III). The next 5 are pretty good too. :2cool:

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
WOW! Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the exact nature of the category, but I CANNOT BELIEVE he left out the lengthy guitar intro to Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane." BEST MOST-AWESOMEST EVAH!! :D

Like totally, man!

One or both of these:
  1. There are truly more than 100 'best' riffs and it got bumped for another to keep it at 100
  2. That guy doesn't know how to play it (although I would ASSume he does)

jeffree

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
california
Last edited:

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
Yeah, different times indeed. I actually preferred the Mott the Hoople version of Sweet Jane, more uptempo with some nice guitar licks at the end. The whole Reed-Bowie-Hoople relationship was always interesting. Remember this edgy crowd pleaser? Mott the Hoople All The Young Dudes - YouTube

Edit: Just now stumbled upon this version--what a line-up! Queen, Mott, and Bowie. Even Mick Ronson, guitarist from Bowie's Ziggy days. Mott the Hoople,David Bowie, Mick Ronson, Queen - YouTube

All awesome stuff, Jeffree! ;)

BHam

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago, IL
www.vapor4life.com
Is there a list of the most famous song beginnings? I dated a guy that could play the starts to a lot of songs... Not the whole song... Just the memorable beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew a guy who could do that too. But he wasn't any good at transitioning them. There was always a long pause between songs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bjfgator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Nutter Fort, WV
I knew a guy who could do that too. But he wasn't any good at transitioning them. There was always a long pause between songs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm...... maybe it was the same guy. Was his name Hans ERIK G.????????? Did he love Bob Dylan more than life itself???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread