OT: Are you an Introvert or Extrovert or Ambivert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
Time Magazine printed this article earlier this year. I was amazed that someone crawled into my head and exposed all my private thoughts about "people." It was then I realized there were actually other people like me who aren't generally fond of people as a whole - and mainly that it's okay to be introverted. I don't have to "try to be like" other people, as introversion is as natural to me as being a southpaw. I jokingly call myself anti-social but the truth is I'm extremely introverted, although not very shy (shyness is a different animal which may or may not be accompanied by introversion.)

So, are you an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert? :2cool:

Article
The Upside Of Being An Introvert (And Why Extroverts Are Overrated) - TIME

Quiz
Quiz: Are You an Introvert or an Extrovert? | Healthland | TIME.com

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
I say I'm anti-social, but the truth is I'm just (extremely) socially awkward. I like being around people and hanging out with my friends, I just hate embarrassing myself and feeling like an idiot. So I avoid social situations as much as possible. Unless there's alcohol involved. Then I don't care and I love everybody!! Lol, my friends probably think I'm an alcoholic :oops: Plus, when alcohol is involved I have a reason to say stupid things. And when I do even I think it's funny and laugh :)

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I took the quiz and it said I am 'likely' to be an introvert. I think my answers to 'People think of you as mellow' and "People describe you having a soft voice' made the results a little hard to come to a hard conclusion :D

I got the same. I think "people think of you as a good listener" and "liking to work alone and with concentration" pushed me to likely to be an introvert. I'm really not at all lol. :)

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
introvert.png
extrovert.png

Uh - I see that my frontal lobe appears to be bypassed. This concerns me. :blink:

Mariwashere

Oct 12, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
This has poked my brain around and gotten me all curious and interested now. I guess I did confuse introversion with shyness, because I always thought of myself as extroverted yet I scored introverted.

Am I introverted or misanthropic, or is misanthropy due to introversion or shyness?

When I am performing I have no problem putting it out there. I never truly experience stage fright; I get a little nerves now and then but I just channel it as productive energy. I have no problem speaking in public, and I can be very outgoing and energetic. I love to be praised for my performance, but if I get negative reviews I might be butthurt for a little while but I get over it quickly and try to use it to improve or know what I just am not good at. That said, I do have to admit that I typically don't try to do things I don't think I am good at.

I guess the introversion comes in the fact that while I can be outgoing in a performance, that doesn't mean I would necessarily interact with those same people of my own volition. I am generally wary of new people and it takes me a long time to warm up if I ever do at all. I'd rather share with strangers online than in public, and I often find interacting with, or being around strangers rather painful. "People are stupid" is not just a motto to me. I genuinely dislike the experience of being around a person that represents things I don't like about society (uneducated but obnoxious, poor grammar, a person who doesn't know how to think a thought that someone hasn't pre-chewed for them, trend followers, etc....) I guess I never thought of that as introversion, but rather as misanthropy, because I am perfectly fine with never speaking to another new person the rest of my life.

o.0

Maybe I'm just a .... (can we swear on these forums?). I don't know, I'm more confused now.

Oh, and then I wonder if the neurological problems I have are impacting my personality in anyway. I seem to be much quieter now and used to be more genuinely interested in interacting with new people before I developed my conditions, or at least, about 5 years before the major symptoms coalesced. Hmm... gotta look into that angle now.

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
On the quiz I had only one "no" answer. It was the "do you usually let calls go to voicemail?" question. It was the word usually that kept me from a perfect score, I sometimes let calls go to voicemail, less than half of them.
:facepalm:

There is a tiny bit of social awkwardness if I am around people I've never met before, like at a party where I only know the hosts. After being around people, I long for solitude, and once I take that "me time" to counteract the social time, I return to my comfort zone.
:vapor:

When alcohol is part of the social group interaction, I feel somewhat pleased that some may not recall much of the evening, so I make sure I am the "least drunk" or totally sober. I define a group as in excess of three persons, not including myself.
:toast:

The forum "me" is a more social animal. That actually makes sense because when you have something in common with an introvert, the introvert might talk non-stop for awhile. Talking to people in the flesh about the weather and similar small-talk just because I have no idea what else to say, is simply torturous to me.
:mad:

It's funny that not everyone I know may be aware that I'm an introvert. The people I have most in common with are the ones who don't really see the introvert in me.
:confused:

A very shy child I was! I was the girl hiding behind her mother's leg.
:laugh:

~~~ +1 Mariwashere, people ARE stupid! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread