OT: Do you prefer an Automatic or Manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogey

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
Nothing but manual transmission. I would be to embarassed to go to the track with an automatic. List of manual cars from the past:
VW Rabbit Diesel
VW Rabbit GTI
VW Golf
Jeep CJ5
Mazda RX8

Current Cars:
Mazda Miata (Modified for Racetrack)
Mazdaspeed 3

I don't think I would know how to drive an automatic, someone would have to teach me :)

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
For me, it really depends on the car. My 442 was a 4-speed, my LeSabre is an automatic.

One of my Toronados was an automatic, but the one on which I polished the ports and put on dual quads earned a 6-speed (which wasn't easy fitting into the space meant for an automatic).

On pick-ups, my shortbed was a manual, the club cab was auto.

I'm sort of in the market now for an older Jag, which will have to be a manual.

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
LOL!!! Love the thread ThankU!!
It was hell learing to drive manual (just ask my mom!)!! But I've never looked back! I ONLY drive manuals.
My first was a '90 Dodge Dakota (love of my life). I drove that one (shifting and all) asleep! That is also how he passed :( Broke my heart!
Second was a 2006 GMC Canyon (work truck, all manual, no carpet just rubber mats). He was my baby! That one was killed by a bus. Broke my heart again :cry:
My third, and current, is a 2007 GMC Canyon (same as the first). But I just call him "little truck".
I hate driving automatics! I stopped at a stop sign once and put the stupid thing in park! And then when I got out I left it in drive (couldn't figure out why it kept dinging at me, so I closed the door and walked off)! I have slammed on the brake thinking it was the clutch so many times! Any time I drive an automatic I have to warn everone that I will slam on the brake and reach around with my hand. I have to position my left leg between the seat and the door just to keep myself from trying to hit the clutch.
After all that...I must admit that I'm seriously considering an automatic for my next vehicle :( I've lived in the big city for going on 4 years now and traffic in a manual SUCKS!!!! Especially with all the overpasses! Lol, everytime I'm stuck in traffic all I can think about is getting an automatic! Although I'm afraid I would miss my stick...oh, and on the floor is the only way for me!

Btw, I've only been driving for 6 years now :D

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
I have always preferred manuals. Didn't own an automatic until 13 years ago when expecting. Thought I wanted a manual again after the past 8 years driving a slug! But bought an Alfa Romeo 166. Automatic, but with sports option. Mmmmm. Not quite the same as a really good, high-revving double declutch down 2 gears, but maybe in the city driving I do now it is the better option. For now....

waylonjessi4ever

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Northern California
Learned on a manual and had exclusively those until late 30s...still more fun in a manual but age plays a factor on your knees/ legs sometimes and as mirage said above ...coffee and vaping ....and city traffic makes it too much to do ! I miss my old manual rx-7 more then words can say not to mention parking anywhere and turning on a dime .....drive an auto grand prix gt now ( its my old lady version of my rx-7 and i love it too .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread