Our City says No Vaping Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Geer

Feb 12, 2018
Fort Collins, Colorado
No skateboards. No cigarettes. No vaping. Wha?

I just don't get the non-acceptance of vaping.

It's NOT second-hand smoke. It smells good. It shows others around you that you respect their lungs and nose by not smoking but instead vaping.

I haven't tried much vaping where I shouldn't except in my workplace, where NO ONE has said a thing other than, "Gee, that smells good, is that a vape?!"

Instead of applying restrictions, I am just dying to have a restaurant or other establishment allow vaping, or at least have a vaping section.

It's not annoying like cigarettes. It's not second-hand carcinogens. There's no ash tray to clean up.

If more places stood their ground and allowed it, maybe there would be more public acceptance. For goodness sake, it's our attempt at enjoying a smoking-like enjoyable sensation without affecting others.

I think the FDA is doing what they need to, but they're driving in the wrong direction.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

It's NOT second-hand smoke. It smells good. It shows others around you that you respect their lungs and nose by not smoking but instead vaping.

I haven't tried much vaping where I shouldn't except in my workplace, where NO ONE has said a thing other than, "Gee, that smells good, is that a vape?!"

Instead of applying restrictions, I am just dying to have a restaurant or other establishment allow vaping, or at least have a vaping section.

It's not annoying like cigarettes. It's not second-hand carcinogens. There's no ash tray to clean up.

If more places stood their ground and allowed it, maybe there would be more public acceptance. For goodness sake, it's our attempt at enjoying a smoking-like enjoyable sensation without affecting others.

I think the FDA is doing what they need to, but they're driving in the wrong direction.

Hi and welcome,
To quote MLKjr: One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.

I will encourage you to follow your conscience.

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do not believe your desires will come true. I will say I don't vape in restaurants, mainly because those "good smells" may interfere with other diners experience. I will stealth vape from time to time but not there. :) I only think we are going to see increased regulations from states and municipalities, not less. I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

Anna

PugLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2012
Arnold Maryland

I get that some ppl just don't want to smell any kind of vapor/smoke and I respect that inside a business, public transportation, inside parks ir places with children or Animals a zoo for eg. or someones home etc.. However When you start telling me what I can or cannot do outside in public though, I have a big big problem with that. It's unfortunate that more ppl in charge of making these public decisions do not have or understand all the information on vaping. My non-smoking mother was diagnosed with dbl lung cancer at age 69 (2 separate tumors 1 in ea. lung) that was 6 yrs ago, She was stage 1, had surgery to remove those portions of lung lobes and some chemo, she's cancer free and very healthy. She spent 2 nights a week at a disco/bar for about 10 yrs age 35 to 45. Other than that she had no second hand smoke exposure (I never smoked in the house or car around her or my child). The Dr. did however confirm the type of tumors she had are usually caused by 1 of 3 things: smoking, reg exposure to 2nd hand smoke or Radon. Our home was tested and is radon free.
Point being I absolutely support ones right to be in a non air poluted area/room. If I am walking down a city street nobody is forced to walk so close to me they can breathe my exhaled vapor or even someone smoking a cigarette for that matter. I avoid ppl that are smoking and I do just fine. I see more ppl vaping these days rather than smoking anyway.
- If a city is going to impose those types of laws they'd better provide some zero pollution levels from their end of things public vehicles, public buildings, power plants etc. That would have to be one green city govt..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PugLady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2012
Arnold Maryland
I get that some ppl just don't want to smell any kind of vapor/smoke and I respect that inside a business, public transportation, inside parks ir places with children or Animals a zoo for eg. or someones home etc.. However When you start telling me what I can or cannot do outside in public though, I have a big big problem with that. It's unfortunate that more ppl in charge of making these public decisions do not have or understand all the information on vaping. My non-smoking mother was diagnosed with dbl lung cancer at age 69 (2 separate tumors 1 in ea. lung) that was 6 yrs ago, She was stage 1, had surgery to remove those portions of lung lobes and some chemo, she's cancer free and very healthy. She spent 2 nights a week at a disco/bar for about 10 yrs age 35 to 45. Other than that she had no second hand smoke exposure (I never smoked in the house or car around her or my child). The Dr. did however confirm the type of tumors she had are usually caused by 1 of 3 things: smoking, reg exposure to 2nd hand smoke or Radon. Our home was tested and is radon free.
Point being I absolutely support ones right to be in a non air poluted area/room. If I am walking down a city street nobody is forced to walk so close to me they can breathe my exhaled vapor or even someone smoking a cigarette for that matter. I avoid ppl that are smoking and I do just fine. I see more ppl vaping these days rather than smoking anyway.
- If a city is going to impose those types of laws they'd better provide some zero pollution levels from their end of things public vehicles, public buildings, power plants etc. That would have to be one green city govt..

It reads like I smoked in the house just not around my mom or child, I meant I never smoked in the house, in the car or around my mom and child. Lol. I read it after I posted abd it read funny.. really need an edit button here, maybe I just haven't found it yet..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Bottom left hand of your post, you will find the edit button.

I agree with you about the open air situation. Our city has not really provided many vaping laws, and vaping was specifically excluded from any tobacco laws, I can vape (outside) any time I want. I like it, but I doubt it will be that way forever....

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Todd Geer

Feb 12, 2018
Fort Collins, Colorado
... and a weird thing I recently experienced was on a cruise ship.

Vaping was not allowed on our verandah.
It was not allowed in non-smoking areas (the entire ship except for ~800 square feet on one deck)
BUT - It WAS allowed in our stateroom!
Again. What the ?
That tells me their rules are all about affecting others, not the smell affect penetrating an enclosure.
And, of course, in the smoking deck area where I was vaping, I had no less than one comment about how good it smelled.
;)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
In the UK we have "section 5 public order". It's the thing the police get the biggest kick out of. They'll sit outside nightclubs waiting for things to kick off knowing that all that will happen in most cases will be one or two guys swearing, having to arrest them for it (Section 5 public order offence), then swearing as they try to explain that they don't know what they are getting arrested for, for instance : "what the **** are you arresting me for".

My point, and i do have one, is that the police are expected to use their "discretion", in real time !. If for example someone is swearing in a supermarket where there are women and children, then you'd expect the offender to get arrested for that offence. In contrast, outside a nightclub at 2am in the morning with no one else around except for drunks, there is no one around to be offended by the swearing, but the police arrest those people anyway, and they get charged and convicted. It's in these instances where the police don't always use their discretion. They will have no statements from any witnesses who would claim to have been offended by remarks made by the accused, so no real evidence at all, except for the fact that they themselves were offended, even though it's not against the law to swear at a policeman. But people continue to get convicted for this, every Thursday, Friday, Saturday night. Usually an on the spot fine of £80.

These are expamples of how the police respond to real life instances of behaviour from civilians/members of the public.

When it comes to vaping there shouldn't be a blanket ban, as there is for cigarettes, because vaping is different. The exhaust fumes from vaping aren't toxic. The law on vaping in public spaces should come under "section 5 public order". And the police should actively use their discretion in real time to decide whether a vaper is breaking the law or not.

I don't know how "section 5 public order" is referred to in North America. But it's a "fundamental" law which covers any behaviour in a public space which may be considered offensive. Like being naked or urinating in the street, swearing and a multitude of other things.

If people nearby aren't offended by a vaper doing his/her thing then the police should exercise their "discretion".

On the other hand i really don't see how it should have anything to do with the authorities in the first place. If you're in a restaurant and you are told not to vape by the management then you don't vape. If the other diners don't mind and the management is ok with it then carry on.

What's it got to do with the authorities ?.

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
In the US vaping is classified as tobacco and business owners don't have a choice unless their state gov. adds an exception. Up to the individual whether you obey the law or not. I generally do not vape where I did not smoke. Do I wish I could vape, yes; did I wish I could smoke, yes. My public habit wasn't changed by switching over and I don't feel resentment over it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

When you contacted the Members of the City Council before they voted, what did say?
When the local Vape Shops gave their testimony in committee meetings, did you attend?
When the Petition(s) were circulated, did you sign them?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
So basically your city like this city posted a bunch of signs that everyone can ignore as there is zero enforcement anyway.

They have signs on every building here no smoking with 25 feet of entrance or windows, that includes vaping. Lots of smokers and vapers much closer than that to entrances.

The have signs in many places saying no skateboard, bikes, etc on sidewalk. Heck they even made bike lanes on the streets, yet they still ride bikes on the sidewalk.

Todd Geer

Feb 12, 2018
Fort Collins, Colorado
When you contacted the Members of the City Council before they voted, what did say?
When the local Vape Shops gave their testimony in committee meetings, did you attend?
When the Petition(s) were circulated, did you sign them?

I saw nothing. Should pay more attention to what's happening in my town :(

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I saw nothing. Should pay more attention to what's happening in my town :(

It Isn't just you. It's kinda All of Us.

And I think OEM's and Vape Shops need to do a Better Job of Informing Vapers what is going on.

And when I say "going on", I mean Before things happen. Not Afterward.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread