Our Member, Frubbish to give ABC TV News Interview on E-Cigs Tomorrow - Let’s Wish Frubbish Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CssReb

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
USA, NYC
Marlin commented: In 2007, there was 31 BILLIOn made by the states alone, this is not including the federal Government or local governments preying on the smokers for these billions in revenue.
This is a scared government and tobacco lobby because we finally found something that works, and they will lose Billions in tax revenue.

Could you imagine the cost to the government to change ATF
To
The Bureau of
Alcohol, tobacco, Firearms, Explosives and Personal Vaporizers :D

That'salotta ink!

Ok..I was just being silly:D

TheBandit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Something just popped into my head which may explain why the FDA is treading so lightly here. If nicotine is a drug and is deemed illegal, then how about this comparison. THC is a drug, which then makes sources of this drug, such as the marijuana plant, illegal. Wouldn't nicotine being illegal make the tobacco plant illegal.

Dunno, maybe this actually makes too much sense to be true. Someone please point out where my logic is failing me.

I hope that this is the case, though, because then we are home free.

section817

Feb 21, 2009
Ft.worth,Tx
<<<kate the clown is here lol no worries. well here in fort worth ive got a couple of friends who are cops using e-cigs so i guess that may look bad if/when they become illegal. But, on the whole i think that i wanna poop in phillip morris's shoe then,tell the fda to get me an exact count of how many chemicals are in it, and asking what the long term exposure to bulls**t is. Sorry, politics and me dont get along. where's that guy with the "i pooped a little" pic i need back up.

ricklinc

Mar 9, 2009
Rick commented less than a minute ago
In England we've got a range of products that are supposed to assist people in giving up cigarettes by delivering nicotine in a variety of ways. Skin patches, gums, inhalators. They seldom work. And now we have discovered the e-cig. I've been using one for over a month and would really hate to go back to cigarettes. But various parties that stand to lose out are already making noises about vague imaginary dangers linked to e-cigs. Presumably they'd prefer people to continue risking the proven dangers linked to the real thing. The most vociferous person I've seen so far belonged to the anti-smoking lobby. Since e-cigs don't involve any smoke I can't see what any of this has to do with this stupid woman.

The tobacco companies stand to lose from e-cigs and our government will lose out on taxes. So I'm expecting to hear dark and terrible things from them that almost certainly won't be true. Also the companies that have been making a fortune selling replacement therapies that don't work are likely to bitterly resent a method that actually does.

I'm coughing up thirty years of tar from being a heavy smoker since I was a teen. Nobody told me that happens when you quit smoking. I don't care, I'm much happier with my e-cig.

That's what I posted on the Denver News site.
I've been lurking here for about three weeks. Morning, everybody.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Are those reports really relevant to most of us, I thought they were Ruyan product tests? Again, I don't know, I haven't read them yet.

Discount them if you will, but it is just not true that "no studies" have been conducted at all that show any safety. It is irrelevent who the studies were done for. They were done by an independent testing lab just like any other drug gets tested. Pony does a lot of tests for a lot of different products and drugs. Discount the New Zeland test if you want and Ruyan's latest tests done by Pony--but do not say that there is no evidence at all--that is rubbish.

Here is what was supplied to this Reporter--and in by book PG is PG, nicotine is nicotine, and flavorings, although vary--are for the most part favors---that is how I see it at least---Sun

Submitted to Reporter--

sStudies that have been conducted on the use of these devices in doing your report:

See

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t30-Oct-08.pdf

Also see Pony's Testing. Pony Testing identifies themselves as:
PONY TEST(Short for PONY TESTing International Group),the leading testing organization, has qualification of the CNAS and CMA, gets mutually recognized agreement including USA, UK, Germany etc. 58 countries and regions. As a large comprehensive testing organization which runs on the basis of ISO/IEC 17925, the report provided by PONY TEST obtain international approval and international notarization & credit. Up to now, we have set up 4 large laboratories in China, 6 branches and 21 offices in UK, HK etc., formed an international testing network. In 2007, it honored "Deloitte Technology Fast 50 China" and "Deloitte Technology Fast 500 Asia Pacific". See
http://www.ponytest.com/about-en.html

Here are the four new reported test results performed for Ryan by Pony and they are very encouraging. Note. Click on the photo after opening to enlarge the photo.

Results For Propylene Glycol
http://www.ruyan.com.cn/UploadFile/20081120052241578.jpg
Results For Chemical Reaction When Cartridge is Atomized
http://www.ruyan.com.cn/UploadFile/20081120052835906.jpg
Results For Zero Nicotine Cartridge and Temperature
http://www.ruyan.com.cn/UploadFile/20081120051915593.jpg
Results For Nicotine in Cartridges
http://www.ruyan.com.cn/UploadFile/20081120052713875.jpg

Flitzanu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Tulsa, OK, U.S.A.
www.myspace.com
The American Cancer Society is concerned some of the ingredients in the devices, including nicotine and propylene glycol, aren’t safe to inhale.

you know, this may be overlooked in this thread, but propylene glycol is used in fog machines. any of you in "my age group" will remember that in junior high and high school dances...there are fog machines a-plenty...and kids are "inhaling" propylene glycol as a byproduct of said fog machines.

that's ok though i guess right? :) but now that we want to inhale it, it's dangerous and causes disease!

i'm going to start lobbying against schools and spookhouses to stop using fog machines because they will give you cancer, according to the ACS.

oh, i'm also going to sack all the tobacco shops for selling PG for humidors since it is an uncontrolled substance and is illegal.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
The American Cancer Society is concerned some of the ingredients in the devices, including nicotine and propylene glycol, aren’t safe to inhale.

you know, this may be overlooked in this thread, but propylene glycol is used in fog machines. any of you in "my age group" will remember that in junior high and high school dances...there are fog machines a-plenty...and kids are "inhaling" propylene glycol as a byproduct of said fog machines.

that's ok though i guess right? :) but now that we want to inhale it, it's dangerous and causes disease!

i'm going to start lobbying against schools and spookhouses to stop using fog machines because they will give you cancer, according to the ACS.

oh, i'm also going to sack all the tobacco shops for selling PG for humidors since it is an uncontrolled substance and is illegal.

Not to mention, it's one of the ingredients in regular cigarettes..

chokmah

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2009
Austin Texas
Wait. I am confused. Nicotine isn't safe to inhale? Am I missing the point of the NRT puffer?

Well if nicotine isnt safe to inhale the analogs should be illegal and yet they are sold OTC? That would also mean that patches and gums are also illegal and sold OTC. Analogs have been proven to cause cancer and are still sold OTC and yet the e-cigarette that hasnt been proven to cause harm is already illegal? Man is the ACS and the FDA jumping fast here..

KDMickey

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Denver, CO, USA
Sorry about that--I'd forgotten that I hadn't entered any info about myself on this forum!

Anyways, I just got my first e-cig in the mail on Tues. and my second on Wed.--a 901 and a M401. I love the 401!

I e-mailed the reporter and she said she had two interviews lined up for Thurs. but would contact me if she wanted to do a follow up story. I don't know, though, I don't really trust reporters.

I remember, when I was in junior high, I had a teacher whose baby was born prematurely. A Denver news channel asked to use the baby's image in a story about premature babies, and this teacher consented. Anyways, the story ended up being about premature babies born to smoking mothers, when this baby's mother did not even smoke!

Oh, I don't know if the interview will be live or not, but if it's not, remember, you have the right to say that you want certain quotes omitted or that you want to re-shoot certain parts. Please choose your words carefully, so that even completely out of context it can't seem like you're putting a negative spin on e-cigs. I just don't trust the media, you know?

Good luck and thank you.

Cheers,
-Mickey

I tried to say this was going to happen...

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
I think that we're talking about different things.

There are reports good enough for rumor [the media]
There are reports good enough to convince me that it's likely healthier
There are reports good enough to convince the FDA and the federal judges that will hear any lawsuits.

We've got lots of the first kind, some of the second, and none of the third.

badkat

Mar 21, 2009
CA, USA
The entire focus is about control and making money to enforce that control, hence the FDA in ref. to this point. What else can you expect from a nation that uses pollution points as a commodity on Wall Street, where it's too unhealthy for children to play outside in most cities, and health care is a matter of "get it if you can afford it"? Sure, less than moderate smoking is bad, inhaling nicotine can't be all good, but where the hell does government in a supposed democracy have the right to restrict anyone's reasonable pursuit of happiness? I'm certainly not harming anybody .. so what's the point if not MONEY and CONTROL? Our founding fathers are spinning in their graves.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
are we REALLY going to argue about the "full" story before we've even seen it??

from what i read in the online article.. it didn't sound to me as if she was "leaning" any direction... i believe we have these arguments on a regular basis on here about tone and inflection unobservable in text...

most of the negatives in the article are statements made by OTHERS.. not Jaclyn or however you spell her name..

exactly how do we expect it to lean more towards us when unfortunately the fact is.. within the population we are ALWAYS going to be the short end of a 10-1 argument until VALID studies are done and PROOF POSITIVE is given to the opposition...

that said.. Kate... i'm actually surprised you haven't read the studies.. not that you NEED to mind you.. and it's not an attack of any sort.. you have that right to ignore what you feel isn't pertinent to YOU.. was just mentioning as it's always seemed to me that you were normally a bit more up to speed on things of the reports nature.. reading unpublished reports are neither here nor there in the long run.. we need SOLID reports if we want to complain that people aren't heading them..

Disclaimer: this post was for clarification of point purposes ONLY.. anything felt to be offending probbly wasn't pointed at YOU and was not done purposely.. it's all good.. Sun.. i still enjoy reading your posts.. and Kate.. i still lubsya :cool:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I guess the reports might be important, I'm really counting on others who have read them at the moment to point out anything relevant. They are bookmarked and on my to do list but they won't prove anything about the cocktail of chemicals most of us are using. I'm content to use propylene glycol from the research I've seen already. If they were tests about flavouring chemicals I'd be straight onto them.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
taukimada said:
are we REALLY going to argue about the "full" story before we've even seen it??

from what i read in the online article.. it didn't sound to me as if she was "leaning" any direction... i believe we have these arguments on a regular basis on here about tone and inflection unobservable in text...

I just want to point out that the broadcast news report was worse than the published news piece. There was definitely a "ooh, this is scary" spin to it. It put e-cigs into a negative light. As to whether the linked studies are "valid enough", I'd think that two of the most known chemicals in are of some importance when it comes to inhaling them. All the segment gave was some negative hype that made it seem like most people were flocking to the e-cigs because of the upcoming tax hike.

She didn't want to opinion of e-smokers-- that wasn't the point of the interview... she wanted some fancy props for her lead-in.

I can record the DVR'd segment with my camera, off of my TV if you guys don't want to wait until I have a chance to upload the HD (which I'll downsize, to 480p) to a video site, so I can share it.

taukimada

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Tullahoma, Tn
www.youtube.com
I just want to point out that the broadcast news report was worse than the published news piece. There was definitely a "ooh, this is scary" spin to it. It put e-cigs into a negative light. As to whether the linked studies are "valid enough", I'd think that two of the most known chemicals in are of some importance when it comes to inhaling them. All the segment gave was some negative hype that made it seem like most people were flocking to the e-cigs because of the upcoming tax hike.

She didn't want to opinion of e-smokers-- that wasn't the point of the interview... she wanted some fancy props for her lead-in.

I can record the DVR'd segment with my camera, off of my TV if you guys don't want to wait until I have a chance to upload the HD (which I'll downsize, to 480p) to a video site, so I can share it.

i think the faster we get to see it the better... we need to not argue and fuss over something we haven't seen for ourselves... it's not that i don't trust your judgement.. FAR FROM IT.. it's just i personally can't have an opinion on the piece without seeing it myself..

and really.. i wasn't trying to be mean or nasty with my post.. i was just trying to point out we're argueing over something none of us actually know about

angel.white

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Kansas
I read the article, I didn't think it was biased. I think the quotes from Russel were very positive, they show that you can get off of analogues with e-cigs.

As for our reports. They are good, they are a step in the right direction, but we would be deluded to consider them definitive. Peer-review is essential, any interest group can compose a study to support their goal, and many do. We must endure the same gauntlet that science uses to sufficiently test any hypothesis.

I have very little doubt that electronic cigarettes will be shown to be non-carcinogenic, and a hundred times safer than analogues, but it would be dishonest to suggest that this has already been illustrated.

So I'm with TropicalBob and Kate, I am satisfied with this article.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread