Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
just got sold these, not by a store so I can’t return them. It’s going by European dates so it is out of day but only by 2 months. Is it safe to consume?

Best before dates indicate when we should start to be careful about the substance going bad as opposed to when it is bad.

juice ingredients are PG, VG, nicotine and flavorings. In my experience best before dates for PG is 4 years after manufacture, VG and most flavorings are 2 years and nicotine base depends on the mix of PG and VG it is mixed in. That assumes it is stored at room temperature and out of direct sunlight. In my opinion if you store any on these substances in a fridge they will be safe to use longer than the times listed.

Flavorings are more interesting. I try to use non-organic as much as possible because I believe they are the cleanest and most long lasting. I throw out any organic flavorings after about a year and a half or so.

If any juice I have starts to taste bad after a while I would toss it, but that has never happened to me. No point in taking a chance with it. Otherwise I stick to what I've said above. I don't know what European standards are for best before dates as I'm in Canada, so take that into consideration.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would be rather surprised if the juice weren't vapable. I've vaped juices a few years more than two (curiosity, mainly) but it didn't look terrible maybe a tad dark. There was no precipitate or cloudiness and it was a tobacco juice. So ,it may have been on the darker side already.

I didn't keep vaping it but mainly because it was a tobacco juice and I don't care for them. NO one knows "how long eliquid lasts" though, as it may depend on many factors. You may get nicotine increased harshness possibly, but some flavors and juices just seem to hold up better than others.
I would say just use your best common sense, and if it doesn't look dire or fugly just vape it, and if it tastes okay and no ill effects, vape it until it's gone etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: Ryedan

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
'Best before' dates on eliquid are generally 2 years after manufacture. Why ? No-one knows because no tests have ever been done on what the difference is between 1 yr old liquid and 5 yr old liquid....

Someone said that 2 years is a default best before date for products that really don't go bad. Manufacturers always put a date on products for legal reasons. If they didn't someone could go back at them with stuff that had sat in their basement for 25 years.

So a 2 year date could be meaningful, or it could be just the default. As you said nobody knows in the case of eliquid, and there's probably a lot of variation as well.

When I first started vaping I often forgot to order juice online and ran out. Once I went to a shop to buy something to see me through for a few days and picked up some really cheap Nicotine River juice from a basket marked discontinued products. It was well past its date and it was the worst vape I ever had. I know it wasn't Nicotine River's fault because I had vaped the same juice before and loved it. So it can go off.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
found 100 ml I picked up on a trip to London, forgot about in my suitcase. I retired that suitcase after that trip in favor of a smaller one. Stuffed it in the back of the closet. It had been in that suitcase close to 2 years, still had a great pineapple flavor, much darker but still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread