Out of touch with modern e-cigs! need some help choosing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
Hi all, haven't been on here in a long log time!! it seems a lot has changed since I was last here, anyway I seem to of fallen behind on e-cig news and everyone's talking about things I have no idea about!

I've been using e-cigs for over 2years now and I've never looked back once I started. I am currently using and have for most my e-smoking time the classic pen (801) and also a mod a fixed together using 2xCR2 battery's and electrical tape. however to my surprise I now read the CR2's are a possible hazzard!! :mad: so I'm thinking its time for a change and upgrade to my current ageing equipment to something modern and shiny.

My question, is the 510 really as good as the pen style atomizer or is there something else worth looking at? I'm looking for a good throat hit, this is the most important aspect of an e-cig for me. I associate a good throat hit with the e-cig doing what is supposed to otherwise I get withdrawal and a bit grumpy. I have had previous experience with the M401 and DSE901 and there rubbish, believe me I have been through enough of them to know. . . So what can you fellow members recommend me to change to? or should I stick with the classic?

I'm ordering from the UK so I expect to order from TW or E-Cigs.

Apologies for my bad grammar and spelling, its really not my strong point.

Thanks for your help!!

kot1rc5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2010
FL
I started with a KR808 and cartomizer kit when I first quit a few months ago. It gave good flavor, but I had to take long drags and the battery life sucked. The guy at the mall kiosk only had 16mg cartomizer replacements and no juice to refill and was way over priced.
So, I googled and found this place. I did a lot of reading and decided on the TW Tornado and some 36mg e-liquid. It uses the 510 atomizer and has a battery that lasts me all day. I have been happy with it, but now I have tired with the cartridges and the constant topping off and inconsistent taste and gone to strictly dripping with a SuperT Traditional Style stainless steel drip tip. The Traditional Style doesn't restrict air flow around the cone when used with the regular length atty. I also use the contoured delrin ones on the 510 mega atomizers as the atty sticks out past the cone.
I did just order some 510 cartomizers. I thought I might give them another try on the Tornado. I have seen some sites selling high resistance cartos for the 510. That might give a cooler hit, if that's what you like. They also sell low resistance cartomizers, atomizers, and if the standard battery isn't enough, now they sell a new bigger battery. Batteries come in manual or automatic. You could also get an adapter to use your 801 stuff.
So, to answer your question I like the eGo/Tornado/Riva. It has good battery life and a lot of options for atomizers and or cartomizers.

e-Savuke.com lists most e-cigs related products.

Last edited:

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
@YKruss

This is a really good article! it is slightly biased towards the US in regard to what products are freely available here in the UK, some of that stuff just isent readily available over here!

I would really like to know from a classic user how the 510 compares. The article does go into this briefly but doesn't conclude very well for me to make a good assessment on users experiences.

@Ast_Isis

Thanks for that, I haven't heard of them before, I will be sure to check them out!

@kot1rc5

36mg ejuice!! your head must of been spinning the first time you tried that!! I haven't gone above 21mg and even that made me a bit light headed! haha.

Thanks for you info on the 510, its a competitive price from TW and I'm curious about trying this one out, its only £25 so its not a big loss if I don't like it. I won't be bothering with carts or cartomizers (what the heck are these anyway??) as I enjoy dripping and get good results with it!

also how regularly are you vaping on the 510? I'm really surprised about a battery lasting for a day! if so that's seriously good performance!!

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
I personally use 24mg juice or higher, and I run with the 510 atomizers on home made mods, between standard and 5 volt operation depending on what I'm feeling at the time.

510 will burn hotter than your 801, probably produce a bit more vapor per second, and I'd bet the throat hit will be better. Honestly, in the realm of battery life nothing beats a mod. The standard 510 batteries lasted me only 2 hours, the eGo or TW mega batteries would likely last me about 5-6 (at most), but my mod lasts aaaalll day..sometimes 2 days.

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
I personally use 24mg juice or higher, and I run with the 510 atomizers on home made mods, between standard and 5 volt operation depending on what I'm feeling at the time.

510 will burn hotter than your 801, probably produce a bit more vapor per second, and I'd bet the throat hit will be better. Honestly, in the realm of battery life nothing beats a mod. The standard 510 batteries lasted me only 2 hours, the eGo or TW mega batteries would likely last me about 5-6 (at most), but my mod lasts aaaalll day..sometimes 2 days.

Thanks for that helpful advice!! I still use some batteries I have had for about a year on my classic, they are sooo bad, there automatics (which I hate anyway) and they get stuck on sometimes so I have to hit the on my desk to release them, there ideal for work as there compact and discrete but there pretty useless at times. Once I get home I have this contraption which doesn't leave the house as it looks like some form of cude explosive, I haven't been bothered to refine it yet because it just works perfectly however I'm now slightly concerned about the explosive nature of the CR2 batteries.

I'm currently using 18mg liquid (menthol), I've tried 24mg but its just to strong and makes me feel a bit to light headed.

Cheers for the help!

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hi MarcE. Welcome back.

What's new in the e-cigs is here e-Cig Battery Tube Mods | eCigarette-Mods.com It is always up to date and tells the country of origin. If you want to see the new box mods and others, just shorten the link to the .com/ [home page]

There are also two social clubs you might want to look into. One is called the Europe Vapers, the other is the UK E-Smokers (252 members). They'll have this down to a fine art, so they will be able to tell you who all the vendors are that ship to Europe/UK are and where you can get the best deals and best customer service.

Totally Wicked does not have very good reviews on ECF. And I hate that stupid looking devil logo on all their stuff. And they call the ecig an ENI -- electronic nicotine inhalator -- how stupid is that -- most people can't even pronounce it. See on uTube how some reviewers stumble over their words when they try to pronounce it. An e-cig is an e-cig! I passed on their clearance sale of black tornados for $59 cuz they have that stupid logo on their PVs. If I trusted Totally Wicked more, maybe I would have bought it and just put a sticker or graphic or bandaid over the devil.

Anyway, if you were to join one of the social groups, you don't have to be social if you don't want to, but it always helps to know of others close by in case of an oopsy like a blown atty or run out of juice and need something today, not 5 days away. ;)
Glad you came back. Happy vaping.

Shai

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Earth
Can't really advise on what's best but I'll just say I bought my first e-cig, a eGo/Tornado. I'm thinking now about a juice box. It sounds like it solves several issues:quantity of juice, able to accommodate larger capacity and higher voltage batteries, an all in one solution (no need to stock several carts/bats for all day outings).

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
Hi MarcE. Welcome back.

What's new in the e-cigs is here e-Cig Battery Tube Mods | eCigarette-Mods.com It is always up to date and tells the country of origin. If you want to see the new box mods and others, just shorten the link to the .com/ [home page]

There are also two social clubs you might want to look into. One is called the Europe Vapers, the other is the UK E-Smokers (252 members). They'll have this down to a fine art, so they will be able to tell you who all the vendors are that ship to Europe/UK are and where you can get the best deals and best customer service.

Totally Wicked does not have very good reviews on ECF. And I hate that stupid looking devil logo on all their stuff. And they call the ecig an ENI -- electronic nicotine inhalator -- how stupid is that -- most people can't even pronounce it. See on uTube how some reviewers stumble over their words when they try to pronounce it. An e-cig is an e-cig! I passed on their clearance sale of black tornados for $59 cuz they have that stupid logo on their PVs. If I trusted Totally Wicked more, maybe I would have bought it and just put a sticker or graphic or bandaid over the devil.

Anyway, if you were to join one of the social groups, you don't have to be social if you don't want to, but it always helps to know of others close by in case of an oopsy like a blown atty or run out of juice and need something today, not 5 days away. ;)
Glad you came back. Happy vaping.

Haha that's hilarious about TW, I had no idea they had a bad rep on the forum, I can see how the logo would cause offence to some and they should offer items unbranded. I've found them to be really good on delivery and prices for e-juice however I haven't needed to use there warranty so cannot comment on that. I've use e-cigs.co.uk a lot and Simon (I think that's his name) is a great chap and has given me returns on a few dead items in the past and the delivery has been spot on! the only thing I cannot forgive e-cigs.co.uk for is dropping the original bulldog flavour, its was incredible. I still have about 10ml of the original left, I'm going to keep it like a fine port or vintage wine lol !!! the new(old now) bulldog V2 was absolutely hideous!!

The link to the mods is great!! I will also check out the groups you mentioned!

Yer ENI does sound stupid. . . I suppose its trying to be politically correct . . .

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
Can't really advise on what's best but I'll just say I bought my first e-cig, a eGo/Tornado. I'm thinking now about a juice box. It sounds like it solves several issues:quantity of juice, able to accommodate larger capacity and higher voltage batteries, an all in one solution (no need to stock several carts/bats for all day outings).

I did some reading about these juice box's earlier and they look really interesting however I imagine they will either leak or flood your atomizer unless your careful. If your not worried about looking a bit weird in public then dripping is the answer! in my experience, dump all the cart rubbish and just drip a couple of drops on the atty and replace the cap. works wonders for me! the only time I would ever consider one is when driving, driving and dripping is near impossible to do safely lol

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
the only thing I cannot forgive e-cigs.co.uk for is dropping the original bulldog flavour, its was incredible. I still have about 10ml of the original left, I'm going to keep it like a fine port or vintage wine lol !!! the new(old now) bulldog V2 was absolutely hideous!!

If you like the old bulldog, maybe they will share their recipe? Then, DIY or send a sample to someone on the UK social site to see if someone can duplicate it. Of course, you have to have some idea of the main ingredients -- just a thought. I would be horrified if my Wild Cherry or my Bubblegum or my Tangerine were discontinued.

In fact, I wrote to Jason at Vapor Renu (my vendor) and had a tantrum when I re-ordered that they discontinued it. He wrote back and said, "ha ha, good catch, Seabrook, I missed it when I built the new website, got it back on now." Phew, was I ever relieved.

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
If you like the old bulldog, maybe they will share their recipe? Then, DIY or send a sample to someone on the UK social site to see if someone can duplicate it. Of course, you have to have some idea of the main ingredients -- just a thought. I would be horrified if my Wild Cherry or my Bubblegum or my Tangerine were discontinued.

In fact, I wrote to Jason at Vapor Renu (my vendor) and had a tantrum when I re-ordered that they discontinued it. He wrote back and said, "ha ha, good catch, Seabrook, I missed it when I built the new website, got it back on now." Phew, was I ever relieved.

I have never tried any moonshine e-liquid before lol its one of those dark arts I've always been apprehensive about getting into. My only concern would be it was an old Johnson Creek recipe as they made it for e-cigs.co.uk and goodness only knows what they put in that stuff, it tastes nothing like the LorAnn flavourings and it was famous for killing your atomizers!

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
Haha that's hilarious about TW, I had no idea they had a bad rep on the forum.

I've only heard negative feedback about the US-based TW, not the one in the UK. The one in Florida (Bradenton?) is consistently written about in negative terms on ECF. There are ongoing customer service complaints.

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
Honestly, I'd probably buy TW if their prices were better and they had a better friggin logo. It doesn't offend me as a person or religiously (don't have one) or anything, it offends me as an artist. ^_^ If only they'd let me make them a new logo...a COOL looking devil, hell 10 minutes in photoshop and I could probably make their current logo look AWESOME.

My go to device happens to be one of those juiceboxes, and they do take a little getting used to to not flood em, but it is a pretty short adjustment. It's more along the lines of learning the taste of an atty becoming dry so you can give it a squeeze.

As for the homebrew devices...once they see you puff on it they'll realize it isn't a bomb. I haven't been tackled yet, although that may be because they're scared of me due to my size...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have the 510 and the Ego. I still use the 510 and it is a great Ecig, but the Ego (which uses the same carts and atomizers) gives me 8-12 hours of vaping between charges.

Sometimes I use the 510 because it's thinner, fits in your pocket better, and is easier to handle. You might want to check out the Mega atomizers and carts for longer times between refills. You can get 26-30 drops into an empty Mega cart as opposed to 10-12 in the standard cart.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
I have the 801, 901 and 510. Frankly they all preform best for me on a true 3.7 battery
The Ego is a 3.2 in all reality. I do love my Ego too for its long battery life though.
To compare the attys on a 3.7 I would say the 801 has the most flavor, but mine are lr 801s from Ikanvape. Same with the lr 901, good flavor, the 510 washes out the flavor and is a harsher vape but produces more vapor.
It is a tradeoff, if you are used to an 801, the 510 may be a bit harsh for you and lacking in flavor, however if you are looking for more vapor and a bigger th it many be the way to go.
I have a little 801 adaptor to kr808 bat, from good prophets.com . the kr808 is a true
cig style 3.7 battery. Works great but of course the battery life is shorter then the Ego.
I would go with a mod that can use your 801 and the 510 too with an adaptor
the best of all worlds, and the adaptors are only a couple of dollars.

kot1rc5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2010
FL
MarcE,
16mg and 24mg just weren't doing it for me when I started. I have ordered some 24mg now that I been off analogs for a few months. I will probaly keep some 36mg on hand just for the buzz. The plan is to wean to zero some day.....

Cartos are an atomizer and cartridge all in one, good for when your on the go.

When i'm at work I vape about 3-6 drops of 36mg and that will tide me for about an hour. When I was on the 16 or 24mg I vaped constantly.

A Tornado battery last me about 8-12 hours. I bought a 5 pack and rotate 3. 1 on charger at home and a charged spare in my go kit. when 1 of these die I will replace with the new high mah batteries, they will last even longer.

BTW I got my initial kit from TW (US) and had no problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread