Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The only thing that can be definitively proven is that vaping is a gateway to gear-buying addiction.

But seriously - this article is so poorly constructed that it doesn't even border on being journalism.

The article in full was published by a main stream media source - Reuters:

in.reuters.
com/article/2014/09/03/us-heatlh-nicotine-ecigarettes-idINKBN0GY2KZ20140903

"Like regular cigarettes, e-cigs a 'gateway' to harder drugs: study | Reuters"

The article, like many Reuters pieces was reported by the NY Times, PBS, Medscape, NBC, Boston Globe and many others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The article in full was published by a main stream media source - Reuters:

in.reuters.
com/article/2014/09/03/us-heatlh-nicotine-ecigarettes-idINKBN0GY2KZ20140903

"Like regular cigarettes, e-cigs a 'gateway' to harder drugs: study | Reuters"

The article, like many Reuters pieces was reported by the NY Times, PBS, Medscape, NBC, Boston Globe and many others.

Right. The study was published in the NEJM--Fox is reporting. We decide. ;)

What I learned from the study:

With e-cigarettes, we get rid of the danger to the lungs and to the heart

and

Although it is not yet clear whether e-cigarettes will prove to be a gateway to the use of conventional cigarettes and illicit drugs, they said "that's certainly a possibility."

I'm good with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Yeah, I've already been there/done that with the "harder drugs"... no need to experiment any further, as I've already proven extensively that "hard drugs" will either kill you or make you wish you were dead. At this point I just like being able to stay off coffin nails, by vaping.

And as I pointed out in another thread, that apparently the ANTZ check to Fox has cleared, since they started out somewhat pro e-cigs (Gutfield) and seem to be slipping further into the slimy morass of ANTZ stupidity. Money does have the most amazing lubricating abilities.

Andria

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
There is a really good breakdown of the study at the following link... which is pro-vape, so i didn't see a need to break the link.

From Vapor to Powder: Are E-Cigarettes a Gateway Drug?

here is a snippit... or two...

Does their study really prove that??
For starters, it is quite a leap to say that studies in mice show a gateway effect in humans. The researchers did indeed show that nicotine enhances the effects of ....... on the brain, I’ll give them that. However, they cannot replicate all of the sociocultural and psychological aspects that lead to human drug addiction in a colony of mice. It is one thing to say that nicotine users will experience a stronger ....... buzz; it is quite another to say that a person will choose to use ....... because they are using nicotine.

So what does the study really prove?
At the end of the day, all this study proves is that nicotine can enhance the effects of ........ It does not prove that nicotine use leads to ....... use, nor to ....... addiction.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Unfortunately the original study was published in one of the most respected scientific journals, while a “breakdown” – just a somebodies opinion placed on obscure “vapingcheap” site.
The breakdown of this study has been posted a few places on this forum, and by many tobacco harm reduction experts.
But yeah, none of that breakdown ever saw the light of day in the mainstream media.

I really do understand why most informed vapers detest the ANTZ, and Big Pharma, and the government efforts against vaping.
But in the end, none of this would be possible without the mainstream media aiding and abetting them.

I think we as a group let the mainstream media off way to easy around here.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Unfortunately the original study was published in one of the most respected scientific journals, while a “breakdown” – just a somebodies opinion placed on obscure “vapingcheap” site.

I never said the break down was 'the end all be all' or published in the Wall Street Journal. I get your point, but I choose not to only see the negative sides.

I don't only share these things here. I call the politicians, write them emails, CASAA (and other groups), etc. AND... I have about 'a supply' of NIC if I stop giving it away or wasting it... so I'm not just fighting things from a single front, I'm covered, I don't have to care if they tax e-juice 32%+ on a personal level. I'm more than capable of making my own equipment from the ground up and mixing my own juice. I don't speak my mind just for myself and I sure don't just knock someones post for no good reason.

Are you just angry about something else (it happens, we are human... well you might be an alien, but the rest of us are... maybe)? I'll contact the researcher and ask others to do the same if you think that would help anything...

So, seriously... how do you suggest we combat such releases of information?

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Jimmy, all Alien was pointing out is that people take information more seriously based on the source. In other words, utter nonsense will be believed and lauded by the general public if it hails from a respected publication, while truth that is published in an online blog or small magazine will be ignored... if it's even read. This is just the way of the world.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The Nobel prize has been degraded to the level of the self-congratulatory circle jerks that are known as the Oscars and the Emmys. (as are many of the 'most respected science journals'). Those who appeal to them are only using that particular logical fallacy rather than making a case. More truth comes from free communication (like in blogs) than from those who like to think of themselves as the 'intellectual elite'.

JimmyDB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2014
Jimmy, all Alien was pointing out is that people take information more seriously based on the source. In other words, utter nonsense will be believed and lauded by the general public if it hails from a respected publication, while truth that is published in an online blog or small magazine will be ignored... if it's even read. This is just the way of the world.

I'm not sure that was the purpose of the post... I'm not sure many actually 'check their sources' either. But you do make a good point.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The breakdown of this study has been posted a few places on this forum, and by many tobacco harm reduction experts.
But yeah, none of that breakdown ever saw the light of day in the mainstream media.

I really do understand why most informed vapers detest the ANTZ, and Big Pharma, and the government efforts against vaping.
But in the end, none of this would be possible without the mainstream media aiding and abetting them.

I think we as a group let the mainstream media off way to easy around here.

That is really the issue. We would all like to see honest journalism, but it is impossible to come by in mainstream media these days - all major media is owned by somebody, and that somebody has vested interests, and friends with vested interests... these days if it's on basic cable or in a well known newspaper or magazine, it won't be fully honest.

Think of it this way - imagine all of the pharmaceutical ads you see on television. All of those ads represent a financial agreement between that TV station and that pharmaceutical company. Let's say, specifically, we are talking about ABC running ads from Pfizer, for example. This means that Pfizer is paying ABC to run these commercials. Now, when the topic of Chantix comes up on the 11 o'clock news, do you really think ABC's going to be fully honest, knowing that it could cost them millions of dollars in advertisements?? I don't think so.

Now multiply this effect by every single from of mainstream media, and every heavily-advertised brand-name product. That is your reality.

And, unfortunately, this is still what most people trust as their main source of "honest" information. Anyone who really wants the truth must read between the lines and dig up alternative, sometimes buried, sources of information.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There is a really good breakdown of the study at the following link... which is pro-vape, so i didn't see a need to break the link.

From Vapor to Powder: Are E-Cigarettes a Gateway Drug?

here is a snippit... or two...

I am actually the author of this article :) thank you for reading it and sharing it. I just recently started writing articles for that website, and I have yet to link or publicize here because I have to register under forum rules (I'll have to get on that shortly...). This is actually the first article I've ever had published anywhere :) I hope to have a bigger platform in the future, but for now I am glad to be able to write for this website and get my feet wet.

Unfortunately, given my interests and writing style, I'm pretty sure mainstream media is not in my future. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread