Ovale V8 VV discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glycerol

ECF Veteran
The Ovale v8 is popular in this thread!

I would check the length of the Trustfire batteries. I have some 1200 mAh Trustfires that can only be forced into the v8...and it's a struggle at that. There are different editions of Trustfire 1200's. I think you want them little more than 35mm long or shorter. Some run up to 37.? mm.

DANG! I just bought them!!!! They are 37,17mm x 18,23mm :(((((((((((((((((( Do you think clipping a coil or two off the springs will help? Oh nooo... :((((

Also, a guy at Vaportalk says the quality of the mod is very low and he broke two of them already:

What have I done... just wasted almost 70 bucks...

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
DANG! I just bought them!!!! They are 37,17mm x 18,23mm :(((((((((((((((((( Do you think clipping a coil or two off the springs will help? Oh nooo... :((((

Also, a guy at Vaportalk says the quality of the mod is very low and he broke two of them already:

What have I done... just wasted almost 70 bucks...

I've have 3 of them and I think they hold up reasonably well. I don't have a suggestion on making the batteries work for you, but I will give it some thought. Perhaps you can offer them for trade in the classifieds.

My 'estimation' of the battery time for a pair of new 1200mAh's on the Ovale V8 is ~12 hours under fairly heavy vaping conditions. For me, a pair x 100mAh = an hour on the V8, at about 8 Watts, when the batteries are newish and vaping a lot.

glycerol

ECF Veteran
I've have 3 of them and I think they hold up reasonably well. I don't have a suggestion on making the batteries work for you, but I will give it some thought. Perhaps you can offer them for trade in the classifieds.

My 'estimation' of the battery time for a pair of new 1200mAh's on the Ovale V8 is ~12 hours under fairly heavy vaping conditions. For me, a pair x 100mAh = an hour on the V8, at about 8 Watts, when the batteries are newish and vaping a lot.

Thanks :( So that means you're positive a 37mm 18350 is impossible to fit or..? Could you please measure the length of your battery compartment?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
The Ovale V8 is popular in this thread!

I would check the length of the Trustfire batteries. I have some 1200 mAh Trustfires that can only be forced into the V8...and it's a struggle at that. There are different editions of Trustfire 1200's. I think you want them little more than 35mm long or shorter. Some run up to 37.? mm.

Thanks :( So that means you're positive a 37mm 18350 is impossible to fit or..? Could you please measure the length of your battery compartment?

No...I'm not positive that a 37mm 18350 is impossible to fit... in an Ovale V8. In fact, I just tried 'one' and was able to install it.

However, please consider this... I just measured my 18350 + one thin sheet of paper (cash register receipt to keep it from shorting in the calipers). It came to 37.42mm. As you asked, I also measured the battery compartment. While it can vary with the actual portion measured, 36.71 seems like a representative measure for the length of the battery compartment. And yes, I did get the battery in. I'll offer that I also had to use a screwdriver to pry it out.

And the V8 continues to vape fine as I am using it at present, but with shorter batteries.

If you aren't looking for the extra capacity that 1200mAh offers, there are others in the range of 700mAh to 900mAh that work fine.

eFest offers an IMR 800mAh (with nipples). I've been using two pairs for a while, but I'm not sure their overall life-span is that great. They are shorter and an easier fit, though not as easy as flat tops.

I also have some Microbat flat-top 18350s at 900mAh that are a good fit and easy to take in and out. While their performance is okay, they haven't been in use long enough for me to ascertain their overall life...only since August. These batteries are indicated to have protection circuitry and thus are probably not IMR-type.

If you are looking for batteries with more capacity than the typical 700mAh to 900mAh IMRs, there 'may be' some options.

An eBay seller (U.S.) site offers 1400mAh Flat Top 18350s which are mailed from China. In my estimation, the duration of a charge with them was about 14 hours when they were new. That compares to about 9 hours with some somewhat used 900mAh 18350s. This is how I came up with the 12 hour estimate for 2-18350s at 1200mAh. Of the 8 of these in my order, 3.5 of them proved to be flakey and did not last long. It seems there is some internal inconsistency in them. My latest model V8 did not take to them well and exhibited irregularities. I don't recall how they may have done in earlier V8s. I'm continuing to use 2 pairs of these. One pair first used in mid-July and the other pair, September. At present, I'm getting about 13 hours of charge life from them. They have not been in constant use. Please note these batteries are neither IMR nor Protected.

There are some 1500mAh Tangsfire 18350s out there, but I've seen mention that there actual mAh may be significantly lower that stated. I don't know what their length is.

I've also seem some 1000mAh stated 18350s that I don't recall the name of at this time.

Another flat-topped battery that looks good on paper is the 1200mAh 18350 as offered by Wu Batteries.

If you find some great batteries out there, especially if they have higher capacity, please let us know.

Last edited:

glycerol

ECF Veteran
No...I'm not positive that a 37mm 18350 is impossible to fit... in an Ovale V8. In fact, I just tried 'one' and was able to install it.

However, please consider this... I just measured my 18350 + one thin sheet of paper (cash register receipt to keep it from shorting in the calipers). It came to 37.42mm. As you asked, I also measured the battery compartment. While it can vary with the actual portion measured, 36.71 seems like a representative measure for the length of the battery compartment. And yes, I did get the battery in. I'll offer that I also had to use a screwdriver to pry it out.

Thanks a ton, you're the best! Will report if they fit when I get them (1 to 2 working days they say). Thanks a lot again, that's my first mod and I'm not Richie Rich, that's why I'm so hectic about it - 70 bucks is a big deal for me. Also, I ordered FOUR of these batteries so.. I think you understand my frustration. Anyway, it's all my fault - I could’ve waited for your reply before clicking on the BUY NOW.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Thanks a ton, you're the best! Will report if they fit when I get them (1 to 2 working days they say). Thanks a lot again, that's my first mod and I'm not Richie Rich, that's why I'm so hectic about it - 70 bucks is a big deal for me. Also, I ordered FOUR of these batteries so.. I think you understand my frustration. Anyway, it's all my fault - I could’ve waited for your reply before clicking on the BUY NOW.

Your springs may be very stiff as the V8 is new. As well, the springs can be a little awkward to keep properly aligned...even with a shorter battery. Your experience my vary from mine. I do hope you noted that my Trustfires measure ~.7mm longer than the battery opening of the V8 as I measured it.

PS I noticed you use a Protank @ 1.8 Ohms. That's just about the bottom limit for Ovale V8s. YMMV

Last edited:

zogu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
Beograd, Vracar
@Cool_Breeze, how are you using flat top battery in V8, does new version has different battery compartment? My V8 accepts only nipple top batteries.
@Glycerol Also in my V8 37mm batteries fits without problem, you just need some practice to put them inside without bending springs. I learned to put them inside without using any tool, but for start try with credit card or something like that. Just to notice once more, my V8 is first version and maybe compartment is different from your. BTW it still work same as it worked first day :D

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
@Cool_Breeze, how are you using flat top battery in V8, does new version has different battery compartment? My V8 accepts only nipple top batteries.
@Glycerol Also in my V8 37mm batteries fits without problem, you just need some practice to put them inside without bending springs. I learned to put them inside without using any tool, but for start try with credit card or something like that. Just to notice once more, my V8 is first version and maybe compartment is different from your. BTW it still work same as it worked first day :D

zogu - There may small differences between models...with the battery connectors.

To tell the full story, my first V8 was purchased via the ECF classifieds and came with 4 18350 IMR, brand unknown. They continue to work okay, but may be approaching decent.

When I got the (some flakey) 1400mAh batteries off of eBay and they weren't acting right, I wondered if they were perhaps not making good contact. On all 3 of my V8s, I added a small bit of silver bearing solder to the positive connector inside them. This did not correct the problem and thus I ascertained the problem was with the batteries themselves. It 'may be' that the add bit of solder allows for some flat tops to work in conditions they may not elsewise, but I have used 'some' flat tops in them with no problem before adding at the connectors. I can't say that every flat top will work in every (model of) V8.

Perhaps others can share their experiences with attempts at using flat tops in the Ovale V8.

Fullknight

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2012
Oklahoma
zogu - There may small differences between models...with the battery connectors.

To tell the full story, my first V8 was purchased via the ECF classifieds and came with 4 18350 IMR, brand unknown. They continue to work okay, but may be approaching decent.

When I got the (some flakey) 1400mAh batteries off of eBay and they weren't acting right, I wondered if they were perhaps not making good contact. On all 3 of my V8s, I added a small bit of silver bearing solder to the positive connector inside them. This did not correct the problem and thus I ascertained the problem was with the batteries themselves. It 'may be' that the add bit of solder allows for some flat tops to work in conditions they may not elsewise, but I have used 'some' flat tops in them with no problem before adding at the connectors. I can't say that every flat top will work in every (model of) V8.

Perhaps others can share their experiences with attempts at using flat tops in the Ovale V8.

I have 3 different versions of the Ovale V8 and I only use button top IMR 18350mah EH or EFEST battery's. flattops wouldn't work.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky

I failed to note the above batteries are flat top. I don't know that the V8 I received from the classifieds had any modifications made to it.

dragonbone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2009
Somewhere
Hi Glycerol, welcome :).

So, have you gotten your Ovale V8 working now? Did the batteries fit?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

I'm not home right now - where my V8 stuff is - so I can't measure. Are those the yellow jacketed TrustFires? Those fit. The white jacketed version is too long.

It isn't so much the length of the compartment but the overall design of it. (Well it is the length too...) Basically, it's designed so you are trying to drop the batteries straight down in place, parallel with the PV, while trying to deal with making contact with the spring for the negative post at the same time - which is inconveniently located half way down. That is why you see all the comments about dealing with/avoiding bending the negative post spring when inserting batteries. There is a certain amount of technique involved to getting even the correct size batteries in there without bending the spring. Some people use the edge of a credit card to collapse the spring in order to make battery insertion easier. Other people master a sort of... I don't even know how to describe it. Sort of "keep battery parallel with the compartment, make contact with the spring on the negative end, rotate and slide the battery over to get the positive end in, check spring to make sure you aren't bending it, push in place." That will make sense when you get it. :D

It's not a bad little PV. The two camps seem to be: peeps who just seem to be unlucky or hard on their stuff and break 'em all. People like me, Cool_Breeze & dragonbone who have owned them for a long time and they still work. I will admit to being careful with my gear. These things do not seem to survive hard drops well though.

Some things are fixable, some are not. They are cheaply wired. If a wire to the 510 connector comes loose something like that can be resoldered. People can and do make the same mistake with a V8 as they do with any other PV - screw stuff on the connector too tight and push the center post down. That can be fixed. The worst two things you can do to a V8 are drop it, or get it wet inside. Don't use devices on it that are known to be flood prone.

BTW: There will be a cloth strap in the battery compartment. If you are old enough, you will know why that strap is in there and how to place it when you put the batteries in. (And why.) If not - come back and ask. Do not cut it out...

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
Some things are fixable, some are not. They are cheaply wired. If a wire to the 510 connector comes loose something like that can be resoldered. People can and do make the same mistake with a V8 as they do with any other PV - screw stuff on the connector too tight and push the center post down. That can be fixed. The worst two things you can do to a V8 are drop it, or get it wet inside. Don't use devices on it that are known to be flood prone.

BTW: There will be a cloth strap in the battery compartment. If you are old enough, you will know why that strap is in there and how to place it when you put the batteries in. (And why.) If not - come back and ask. Do not cut it out...

Agreed on the above!!

I've seen people post about this or that mod breaking right away...or easily...and wonder what on earth they are DOING to their equipment! Slamming it against walls? Stomping on it? I don't get it. Have had my V8s for 8 months or so now and they are working fine. The only "issue" I had was trying to get the battery in without bending the spring. I use a credit card to mash down the spring then I can slip the battery in with minimal hassle. I took care to only get batteries that were 35mm long. You can also use 16340s in the V8, too. It's a nice little APV...I've really enjoyed mine!

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Hi Glycerol, welcome :).

So, have you gotten your Ovale V8 working now? Did the batteries fit?

Hello again to Cool_Breeze, dragonbone and the rest of the V8 crew :] Well, unfortunately my delivery is split in two and today I only got the four batteries and the charger.

The four TrustFire 18350 1200mAh 3,7V Protected batteries came finely packed in two pairs, each with a holographic sticker and so on. This is how they look like (picture from vendor's web site, will make my own pics later when I get the Ovale):

tf_1200mah.png

Bad news is they're really 37mm long.. as I expected.

Even though my TrustFire TR-001 charger was pictured as white, it arrived in black. Surprisingly well crafted finish of the plastic body (didn't expect it to be so well made considering the fact it cost as much as a bottle of beer). A 3,0V-3,6V switch on the side, a 12V input on the other, strong and clear LEDs. It topped the first two batteries for about 3 hours (keeping in mind that they should come with about 50% charge), so not such a fast charger, but I knew it's a slow one - people say slow chargers tend to prolong batteries' lives, who knows.. Also, it does NOT make any whining noises as some people report, it's completely silent. I removed the first pair of batteries from it the second the LEDs turned green (both simultaneously btw) and both batteries read between 4,1V and 4,2V - sorry, can't give you a more precise number since I use an analog multimeter, but it was a fraction less than 4,2V on the scale (did calibrate the multimeter twice before measuring). Now I'm charging the second pair, but I think I'll just switch it off before I go to sleep - always better to know a device for a little bit longer before you Trust it for the night.

Yeah, all looks ok for the moment, but I really miss my V8 and the urge to vape on it is growing on me since now I even have the batteries fully charged. I hope it arrives tomorrow. If it does, I will make pictures of the whole setup and will measure voltages again on it.

And anyway, what's all the fuzz about the TR-001s? Some people love them, some hate them. Can I really count on this charger to work overnight.. like every night next to my bed?

Last edited:

glycerol

ECF Veteran
Also, do you think if I cut both springs leaving only the very last coil or so there's a chance it'll work with the 37mm 18350s? It'd be cool to vape it with 2 x 1200mAh protected cells. And does anyone use the original Protank 1 on the Ovale (it's a 510 thread they say)? I tried numerous clearos, but the first Protank remains my favorite and I'd like to keep on using it on this mod.. I have some 2.4Ohm attys if my 1.8s won't work...

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
And anyway, what's all the fuzz about the TR-001s? Some people love them, some hate them. Can I really count on this charger to work overnight.. like every night next to my bed?

I wish you hadn't asked - but you did.

It sounds already like you got a "not good" one. TF's are really the bottom feeders in the charger game. One of the problems is they keep remaking the TR001... and keep calling it a TR001. So while people will say a 4 year old version "works great!" everyone pretty much with your version says "Why is it taking 8 hours to charge a battery?" It can take 10+ hours to charge a 2900 mAh 18650 battery in that thing. If it ever finishes charging at all.

In it's current incarnation - your version with the 3.0/3.6 volt switch - it's really made to charge 3 volt or 3.6 volt CR123's. You will be lucky if any battery you put in it - the kind we actually used with PV's - comes of that TR001 any higher than 3.7 volts. This is also why it took an absurdly long time to top off pre-charged batteries. It's trying to treat a battery designed to be charged up to 4.2 volts like a battery designed to be charged up to only 3.8 volts. Got a meter? Check the voltage on those "charged" batteries. By now it's probably settled to around 3.5 volts or less.

Why they screwed this version up so badly I'll never know. I'm sure the 16th reincarnation of the TR001 is right around the corner, with the correct electronics back in and the 3.0/3.6 volt switch out. They actually do make a 3.0/3.6 charger designed to only charge CR123A's. It sounds like they did a half-fannied version to use up surplus CR123A charging boards. Bad idea.

If you want to read the technical review I can post it later. I don't know what you paid for your TR001 but for twenty bucks you could have got an Xtar WPII 2 that is backed with a 2 year warranty and has a long track record of just working correctly.

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
glycerol, you are certainly free to do as you please, but I know the recommendation around these parts is to NEVER charge unattended!! Li-ions are curiously dangerous little creatures and fire/explosion are not our friends. Next to your bedside? I shudder...

I also like the Xtar chargers and AW IMR batts. Not holographically wrapped, but the red is beautiful! :)

4th! Where have you been hiding!! Happy to see ya hon.

*waving* to Rick, DB, and CB!

zogu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2011
Beograd, Vracar
I have 2. tr001, one with a switch on the side and this make whistling noise (can't sleep when is turned on) and one without switch, they are very slow, but i'm using them without any problems, all batteries are charged between 4.18 and 4.22V.
Also if batteries does not fit in V8 you can remove protection, i'm using mostly mechanical mods and protection is limited to 3A, even for batteries which can handle more then 5A. With 3A my mod can't fire and then i remove protection, it is on minus pol on battery. If you do this be very careful because you have to cut plus wire which is coming from plus pol of battery, i usually make small cut on the top, cut plus wire and then removing protection.
You batteries will be very ugly after this :laugh:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread